A/V Receiver bang for the buck [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A/V Receiver bang for the buck

Dharris
02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I apologize for not using the search function, but I'm at work and need to keep this on the down-low. Looking for an inexpensive receiver for small game room. Want to spend no more than 500.00, is it possible to get a great sounding unit for powering Klipsch XB series speakers?

Thanks a bunch guys and gals!

blackraven
02-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Others may disagree but I like the Harman Kardon 3490. Warm sound, lots of power-120wpc, high current-30 peak amps, has preamp (in caset you want to use a separate power amp in the future and use the HK as a preamp only) and sub outs with phono preamp and remote. Can handle 4-8ohm speakers. it leans to the warmer side and would be a great match for the Klipsch.

Here's some info on it- http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoreceiverreviews/fr/HK3490.htm

And here's a review of the 3370 an earlier version of the 3490- http://www.affordableaudio.org/HK3374.pdf

Here's a great price on it- http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Receiver/dp/B00198F89A

Another option would be to spend a little more money and get the Outlaw Audio RR2150
www.outlawaudio.com

blackraven
02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Sorry DH, I didnt see that your wanted a n AVR, instead of a 2ch. I would look at this Onkyo 607

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&Ntt=onkyo%20607&Q=&N=0&

Dharris
02-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks a bunch for the information, it is really hard to stick to the budget. I'm always tempted to upgrade the NAD and use the current NAD for the game room:cornut:

blackraven
02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Check out these NAD specials- http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/all_nad_specials.htm

Also check out Saturday Audio's demo gear, there are some good buys.

And check out the NAD deals at www.spearitsound.com

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

jOesavesbeEs
02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Back in 2002, I bought a Marantz SR-5000 DTS and it rocked my socks before I converted to 2 channel only. Onkyo, HK, Denon, Yamaha... those are also good receivers to pick up for economic enjoyment!!!

Let us know what you choose.

pixelthis
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Dont care for Pioneers plastic receivers, but the 400 dollar one got listed as a best buy by Sound and Vision mag.
AND I second Onkyo in any price range.:1:

BadAssJazz
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks a bunch for the information, it is really hard to stick to the budget. I'm always tempted to upgrade the NAD and use the current NAD for the game room:cornut:

These days you can get pretty much everything that you need in a $500 receiver. It's not like the Dark Ages of AVR's when you could drop $500, knowing full well that you're only setting yourself up for your next upgrade, because it lacked just about everything that you wanted in that next tier receiver.

pixelthis
02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
These days you can get pretty much everything that you need in a $500 receiver. It's not like the Dark Ages of AVR's when you could drop $500, knowing full well that you're only setting yourself up for your next upgrade, because it lacked just about everything that you wanted in that next tier receiver.

Must control fist of death.

Receivers of old were real audiophile devices.
My first, a yamaha, had 35 real watts of power per channel.
My last, a 75 wpc Denon, had dual chassis(preamp amd amp) several power supplies,
and cost 600 (2400 in todays scratch.
Todays receivers do more, but you need to spend at least a grand to get anything much
above the HTIB level.
And then you need outboard amps.
Todays receivers can put out 100wpc into seven channels...
for about ten seconds.
We have gained volkswagens, but have lost Lambos.
And are the poorer for it.:1:

nightflier
02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
But he's driving Klipsch speakers, so I doubt he'll need more power than 100W.

WonderMike
02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I stumbled onto this thread as I too am looking for an AVR in the same category as the original poster. I've enjoyed reading the posts thus far. If one or more of you find the time to respond to my questions I would appreciate it.

I had a Panasonic SAHE 200 MOS-FET I bought back in 2003 that recently crashed and burned. The unit seemed rich on features but I soon realized the advertised 100 watts per channel was rated in two channels only and couldn't drive my four Acoustic Research AR11 speakers as well as I hoped. My casual listener ears were a bit disappointed at the sound quality.

I noticed that BlackRaven recommended the Onkyo 607. cnet recommends the Pioneer VSX-1019AH, but pixelthis was turned off by mid-market Pioneer cases. So I guess I'm deciding between these two units. I would be very interested to get your thoughts.

Thank you for your time.

SuperMike in San Diego

Center Speaker: Acoustic Research AR2C
Sub: Acoustic Research S112PS

pixelthis
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey Guys,

I stumbled onto this thread as I too am looking for an AVR in the same category as the original poster. I've enjoyed reading the posts thus far. If one or more of you find the time to respond to my questions I would appreciate it.

I had a Panasonic SAHE 200 MOS-FET I bought back in 2003 that recently crashed and burned. The unit seemed rich on features but I soon realized the advertised 100 watts per channel was rated in two channels only and couldn't drive my four Acoustic Research AR11 speakers as well as I hoped. My casual listener ears were a bit disappointed at the sound quality.

I noticed that BlackRaven recommended the Onkyo 607. cnet recommends the Pioneer VSX-1019AH, but pixelthis was turned off by mid-market Pioneer cases. So I guess I'm deciding between these two units. I would be very interested to get your thoughts.

Thank you for your time.

SuperMike in San Diego

Center Speaker: Acoustic Research AR2C
Sub: Acoustic Research S112PS

Afraid I WAS a tad harsh.
Truth is I used to love Pioneer, hate what they have become(except for their elite line
of course).
However I had a link (and lost it) to a double-blind test with some pretty serious
gear, an amp test.
They included one of Pioneers 350 dollar plastic specials, and it did quite well
compared to some stuff costing 20x as much!
You want to hunt down the link its in a thread in general audio.
Good luck:1:

nightflier
02-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Dharris, does it have to be new? For $500 you could do pretty well on the used market too (Arcam, Integra, NAD), especially if you're willing to use 5.1 analog inputs instead of HDMI for sound.

winston
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
pixelthis" love your avatar (class-y" man!!)

Dharris
02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
I went with the AVR-590, I have had Denon before and loved the sound matched with bright speakers.

Thank you all for the input and suggestions.

Don

pixelthis
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
pixelthis" love your avatar (class-y" man!!)

THANKS.
One of, if not the best album ever made, both technically and artistically.
Never gonna get a bunch like that in the same room again
MILES DAVIS
"CANNONBALL" ADDERLY
JOHN COLTRANE,
BILL EVANS
PAUL CHAMBERS
JIMMY COBB
The musical equivalent of Enstein, newton, leonardo davinci, Nickolai TELSA,
ALL TOGETHER.
You know, some think that its important that all be in the same room when recording
(sometimes they're not).
Thought it was so important that they founded Sheffield labs, all of whose albums
were recorded "live" in the studio.
And their albums are some of the best demos.
But thats the way they were all made (pretty much) when Kinda Blue was made.
It wasnt Davis' favorite, but, IMHO, its the best he ever did.:1:

Jim Clark
02-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Dharris, does it have to be new? For $500 you could do pretty well on the used market too (Arcam, Integra, NAD), especially if you're willing to use 5.1 analog inputs instead of HDMI for sound.

Man, you aren't kidding. My Arcam AVP 700 preamp was $2,500 new. You can grab one used for $700 without even trying to bargain too hard and it is an amazingly musical preamp. Like you said, there are great deals on lots of preamps and receivers. The one thing they all pretty much seem to lack is HDMI switching but if you can live without that, and it really isn't much of a hardship with a decent programmable remote, there are some incredible buys out there right now. I think if I was really on a budget I'd look for a used Denon 3806 and use the analog inputs for Blu ray and call it a day.

jc

Dharris
02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
After some more research I returned the unopened Denon 590 and bought the Onkyo T-SR607. From what I have read the 607 is a kick but inexpensive receiver.

pixelthis
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
After some more research I returned the unopened Denon 590 and bought the Onkyo T-SR607. From what I have read the 607 is a kick but inexpensive receiver.

GOOD choice my man.
Two Integras and a friend that has two Onkyos(why I bought the Integras).
Over a decade or so and no problemo.:1:

winston
02-15-2010, 10:39 AM
THANKS.
One of, if not the best album ever made, both technically and artistically.
Never gonna get a bunch like that in the same room again
MILES DAVIS
"CANNONBALL" ADDERLY
JOHN COLTRANE,
BILL EVANS
PAUL CHAMBERS
JIMMY COBB
The musical equivalent of Enstein, newton, leonardo davinci, Nickolai TELSA,
ALL TOGETHER.
You know, some think that its important that all be in the same room when recording
(sometimes they're not).
Thought it was so important that they founded Sheffield labs, all of whose albums
were recorded "live" in the studio.
And their albums are some of the best demos.
But thats the way they were all made (pretty much) when Kinda Blue was made.
It wasnt Davis' favorite, but, IMHO, its the best he ever did.:1:
Sorry guys Lil' bit off topic here" but I really get (excited) when ever time i read stuff like this, (Dead onn>>>> jazzzz pixelthis) :7: