Double CDs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Double CDs

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Are these really necessary anymore? I just bought the new Blue Rodeo disk. It's 16 tracks on 2 CDs and total playing time clocks in at about 84 minutes.

I've got to think that they could have left off one song and sold this as a single CD, reducing the price and making it easier to play. Instead it was released as a double disk and priced as such at $17.99.

I can't comment on the tunes yet, as I've just put in the first disk for my first listen. But so far track one has some great guitar on it. :thumbsup: (even if they are still letting Greg Keeler sing :rolleyes: )

Hyfi
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Are these really necessary anymore? I just bought the new Blue Rodeo disk. It's 16 tracks on 2 CDs and total playing time clocks in at about 84 minutes.

I've got to think that they could have left off one song and sold this as a single CD, reducing the price and making it easier to play. Instead it was released as a double disk and priced as such at $17.99.

I can't comment on the tunes yet, as I've just put in the first disk for my first listen. But so far track one has some great guitar on it. :thumbsup: (even if they are still letting Greg Keeler sing :rolleyes: )

A basic CD normal recording time is 78 minutes. 84 minutes is achieved using overburn and many disk players cannot read properly tracks on the very outer edge of the CD.

Both my Rotel CDP and the CDP in my Impala start to flake ot at 80 minutes.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2010, 09:33 AM
A basic CD normal recording time is 78 minutes. 84 minutes is achieved using overburn and many disk players cannot read properly tracks on the very outer edge of the CD.

Both my Rotel CDP and the CDP in my Impala start to flake ot at 80 minutes.

That's why I suggested that they drop a song. I'm pretty sure that 15 tracks would have been sufficient.

Troy
02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Money grab, pure and simple.

Mr MidFi
02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
You know, if a band wants to split an album into two parts for artistic reasons and still charge a single-album price, I guess I can see that. (The new Porky Tree comes to mind, or old faves like Wilco's Being There.)

Similarly, if they have a metric assload of material (like 140 minutes or something), go ahead and put out that double-disc if you think it's all worth it.

But yeah, asking a premium price for a 16-song collection when 15 songs would have been less... that's just a douche move no matter how you slice it.

Stone
02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I personally don't want to listen to a 65+ minute album in one shot. So I'd prefer to have something like that on two discs, but I hate it when they charge double for it (especially when many double albums would have been better off as a single album anyway).

Finch Platte
02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
I say the bands should write as many songs as they can to fill 3 CDs worth of material & include a blank CDr with the set and charge less than $20 for it.

Then you, the consumer, can make your own single CD with the songs YOU think are the good ones.

Problem solved. :biggrin5:

3LB
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Then you, the consumer, can make your own single CD with the songs YOU think are the good ones.

Problem solved. :biggrin5:I usually wind up doing that anyway with most double albums. Rarely is any modern double actually engaing beyond 70 minutes. And to have a band like Blue Rodeo do it, a band with a long devoted and loyal following with little chance of gaining a new market, as Mr MidFi said, is a douche move.

Woochifer
02-02-2010, 08:04 PM
In the early days of the CD format, record companies did release double albums onto a single CD by cutting out songs. (They also did the same thing with cramming two separate albums onto a single CD -- calling it special value pricing) During that time, CDs were selling for upwards of $18 to $20+ each, so pricing was an issue.

But, the outcry from fans was loud and furious -- they wanted their albums fully intact, and the record companies quickly abandoned this practice after CD production prices went down a bit. I remember The Jam's albums getting released as these two-albums--on-one CD packages, and it was horrible because about two songs would get cut out of each album just so it would get crammed onto one disc. Needless to say, I wound up buying them on vinyl (full albums, and at that time, it was cheaper to buy two LPs than that truncated two-in-one CD).

A few months ago, I saw the double-CD of Pink Floyd's The Wall selling for $30 (?!).

But, if you think CD pricing is out of line because they go with double CDs, look at the current trend with vinyl in which albums are getting split into 45 RPM sides. On some albums, this means you get three songs per side, and an album that fits onto one CD might take up three LPs in this configuration. I've seen these releases selling for upwards of $40+.

Finch Platte
02-03-2010, 09:43 AM
So, the question now is: When I DL this off the I-net illegally, what track do I leave off so it'll fit on one disc? :confused:

Hyfi
02-03-2010, 10:27 AM
So, the question now is: When I DL this off the I-net illegally, what track do I leave off so it'll fit on one disc? :confused:

Hmm...you may be better off listening to the blank cdr.

Finch Platte
02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Hmm...you may be better off listening to the blank cdr.

That bad, huh? Well, I guess if FA likes it...

:wink5:

Hyfi
02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
That bad, huh? Well, I guess if FA likes it...

:wink5:

I'm just saying..................but never heard it

ForeverAutumn
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
That bad, huh? Well, I guess if FA likes it...:wink5:

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet. It needs more spins. My initial impression is that it's not as good as their last disk which I liked quite a bit and really should have been a single CD.