Do Circuit Breakers just go Flakey? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do Circuit Breakers just go Flakey?

Hyfi
02-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Recently my dedicated circuit keep blowing after turning on my gear. Up until a week ago, most was running thru a Panamax unit and the HT thru a Monster Strip. I replaced the Panamax with the APC unit thinking that the Power button was messed up or something on the Panamax. After 3 days with the APC, it blew out on power up again. I moved everything but what is connected to the APC to a different line altogether to further isolate the issue. I re-seated the breaker and verified the wiring is tight. I tightened down all the wires in the outlet box from breaker.

The breaker keeps blowing out. It's a 20amp breaker and the APC seems to only be pulling minimal voltage and amps when powering up. I plan to rplace the breaker as soon as I can get one but wanted some input if anyone has experience with a similar issue.

Also, are there any Audiophile breakers similar to the expensive outlets that can be had?

TIA

poppachubby
02-02-2010, 05:08 AM
I don't know about "audiophile" beakers, but you could probably step up to something of a more industrial nature. The problem here is you are subject to standards and laws regarding min/max and wiring. You could choose to do whatever you wish but if a fire broke out and it was traced back to your modded box, you'd be screwed in terms of insurance.

A good friend of mine is an electrician, but his knowledge of PA standards would be nil I'm sure. Livin Da Blues is also an electrician who could maybe steer you to something.

I wish I had better knowledge to help you out, but with the seriousness of the problem, I feel it's best not to suggest any hair brained ideas. You need a pro on this one.

If it was me, and I had no one I knew to help, I would pay to have a pro come and look.

Also, and I'm sure you're aware, you can have just about everything after the box in audiophile quality. This is a debatable topic although I've seen some really nice receptacles by Cardas.

Luvin Da Blues
02-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Recently my dedicated circuit keep blowing after turning on my gear. Up until a week ago, most was running thru a Panamax unit and the HT thru a Monster Strip. I replaced the Panamax with the APC unit thinking that the Power button was messed up or something on the Panamax. After 3 days with the APC, it blew out on power up again. I moved everything but what is connected to the APC to a different line altogether to further isolate the issue. I re-seated the breaker and verified the wiring is tight. I tightened down all the wires in the outlet box from breaker.

The breaker keeps blowing out. It's a 20amp breaker and the APC seems to only be pulling minimal voltage and amps when powering up. I plan to rplace the breaker as soon as I can get one but wanted some input if anyone has experience with a similar issue.

Also, are there any Audiophile breakers similar to the expensive outlets that can be had?

TIA

Yep, breakers DO were out, either from excessive tripping, excessive use of the trip handle (such as using it for a switch) and from thermal heating, especially if your running it close to the max. rating.

I found this thru a Google search (page translated).
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.audiophiles-hifi.de/contents/de/d107.html&ei=vCtoS5apMpP4sgOW8_CBBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCYQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAHP%2BKlangmodul%2BIIIG%26hl%3Den%26c lient%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DOEe

These are basically fuse holders that replace standard cct. brkrs.
'course you need to see if they carry a style that works for your particular electrical box and is UL (CSA) approved. Good Luck.

Hyfi
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Yep, breakers DO were out, either from excessive tripping, excessive use of the trip handle (such as using it for a switch) and from thermal heating, especially if your running it close to the max. rating.

I found this thru a Google search (page translated).
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.audiophiles-hifi.de/contents/de/d107.html&ei=vCtoS5apMpP4sgOW8_CBBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCYQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAHP%2BKlangmodul%2BIIIG%26hl%3Den%26c lient%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DOEe

These are basically fuse holders that replace standard cct. brkrs.
'course you need to see if they carry a style that works for your particular electrical box and is UL (CSA) approved. Good Luck.

Thanks LDB. Unless the Panamax unit does have problems and put undue strain on the breaker, it was never used as an on-off switch or reset any more than 10 times. All I can figure is that it is just failing. I'm going to replace it real soon.

That link was cool but I can't find where to purchase or ask questions. Obviously it is a German company but a google search in US gets no hits for Sound Module III.

Luvin Da Blues
02-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Sometimes an electrician will grab the first breaker he sees in the truck. It may look new but could have been used somewhere else.

I wonder if there is a similar North American product?

Hyfi
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Sometimes an electrician will grab the first breaker he sees in the truck. It may look new but could have been used somewhere else.

I wonder if there is a similar North American product?

LOL, I ran the dedicated line and added the breaker to the box myself. I picked the breaker up at Lowes or Home Depot but I guess anywhere you get one they could be flakey after some time. It's been in use for about 6 or 7 years with no problems until a month or two ago.

bfalls
02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I had heard many years ago that it's a good idea to trip the main breaker occasionally to avoid buildup of corrosion. I can see where the breaker could see heat buildup from the corroded contacts and trip. I'm sure if you want to spend the money you can find "audiophile grade" breakers somewhere.

Isoclean has a line of power-related products including Hifi Tuning Fuses. Maybe they have cryogenically-treated breakers.

wirenut26
02-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Try asking youre question on www.elec-toolbox.com. If you value your equipment hire an electrician for one hour to take amprage readings and give you advice.

E-Stat
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
LOL, I ran the dedicated line and added the breaker to the box myself. I picked the breaker up at Lowes or Home Depot but I guess anywhere you get one they could be flakey after some time. It's been in use for about 6 or 7 years with no problems until a month or two ago.
Given the ease of replacement (so long as you follow strict safety rules), I would suggest simply spending ten bucks for a new one.

rw

Hyfi
02-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Given the ease of replacement (so long as you follow strict safety rules), I would suggest simply spending ten bucks for a new one.

rw

$3.88 breaker resolved the issue but gained me the APC unit which had a great effect on sound.