Anyone know anything about Vector Research? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Vector Research?

Enochrome
02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Picked up a Vector Research turntable with a Shure cartridge at a thrift store for
ten bucks. Does anyone know anything about that company? It seems to sound ok.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

dakatabg
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I had a receiver Vector Research and it was an ok receiver! Right now I have a cd player but I never use it! The company doesn't exist anymore! If you are not an audiophile it will do the job but if you are looking for the clear sound you should get something better!

Shure is a good brand and they make also microphones!

How does the turntable sound?

poppachubby
02-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Junk!

emaidel
02-02-2010, 05:49 AM
As far as I can recall, Vector Research was a private label brand for a large audio chain back in the 70's, whose name escapes me. Unlike most private labels, it was decent, though unexceptional, stuff, much like the "Concept" line of products sold by Pacific Stereo.

whell
02-08-2010, 02:04 PM
As far as I can recall, Vector Research was a private label brand for a large audio chain back in the 70's, whose name escapes me. Unlike most private labels, it was decent, though unexceptional, stuff, much like the "Concept" line of products sold by Pacific Stereo.

I think possibly Tech Hifi was the name of the retailer that sold the Vector Research brand. Tech Hifi is out of business now too.

Enochrome
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.

It was ten bucks well spent: started my vinyl collection again and appreciating the
nice sounds of well made vinyl. The Shure cartridge that it came with I am assuming is helping the sound: it's not bad (nothing to compare to). Bert Jansch "LA Turnaround" reissue put out by Drag City label sounds amazing!!! (if you like brit folk) through it, my Pioneer VSX-919AH-K, and Paradigm Mini Monitor V.6's.

I'd like to eventually upgrade to a nice vintage Dual or Thorens, or a new Rega or Project turntable.

JoeE SP9
02-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I've heard of them. It was tthe late 70's early 80's when they were around. It's probably a re-badged version of a major manufacturer's TT. Post some pictures if you can.