I listened to this CD last week: [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I listened to this CD last week:

Jim Clark
03-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Aye Carumba! 2 discs worth of non-stop mind shredding Numan live. Features the best of the latest two full CD releases plus some trusty stalwarts, most done much darker than the original, to add some historical interest. Intense.

Mike
03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
I'm always amazed at the high esteem Numan seems to be held around here.

Maybe I'm missing something but to me I'm always reminded of a funny looking guy back in the 70's/80's in a jumpsuit who couldn't sing that well but had a couple of big singles. I've just checked out his back catalogue on Allmusic and he's has loads of stuff out over the years, is he really that good?

Cheers
Mike

Dave_G
03-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Ya he WAS good "back in the day", i.e. Replicas, Telekon, Pleasure Principle releases, but those 3 albums basically ate up all his talents, at least in my opinion.

His new music is dark and gloomy and really isn't anything earth shattering (but what is?), but I have liked him for years and years so am always willing to give his stuff a listen.

His older material is "new wave" of sorts, heavy on keyboards.

Check out "Replicas" sometime, that will give you a good idea as to what he's all about.

Dave

Jim Clark
03-30-2004, 08:26 AM
I'm always amazed at the high esteem Numan seems to be held around here.

Maybe I'm missing something but to me I'm always reminded of a funny looking guy back in the 70's/80's in a jumpsuit who couldn't sing that well but had a couple of big singles. I've just checked out his back catalogue on Allmusic and he's has loads of stuff out over the years, is he really that good?

Cheers
Mike

Oh my! WRT the singing, yep he's one of those I can see people not liking. It's a quirky style, and yet his pitch is either perfect or pretty darn close to it, even live. Over the past few years he has most definetly reinvented himself. I can certainly understand a fan that doesn't like both eras as they stand in pretty stark contrast to each other. Currently he is exceedingly dark and instense and that's going to be way too much for some folks.

Is he that good? Well of course I'm going to say "better". His music resonates with me. Aside from that however, he is certainly considered one of the pioneers of synthpop. He did break new ground and did more than his part to create a genre. The problem with Gary Numan for me is that he is too prolific. Not a problem if it's all good, but it isn't. A track here and there is always nice but he went such a long time releasing utter crap that he became a footnote. Exile changed all of that. Gary Numan rules!

jc

Davey
03-30-2004, 08:51 AM
Here's what I listened to.......a LOT. I love everything about this album, so far. Not as jagged overall as some of the last album - more of the lush sound befitting the 4AD label they're now with. Still a little closer to that Beatle's Abbey Road sound of the last album than the Cocteau Twins or other 4AD alumni, but more polished than anything they've done before with nary a hint of their Sonic Youth roots. Reviews seem to be mixed on this one, many lamenting the sanded off edges, but I'm solidly in the "love it" camp.

http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/blonderedhead.jpg

newtrix1
03-30-2004, 09:07 AM
anyone remember NT? :)