new in the world of vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new in the world of vinyl

ryanianmckinnon
01-31-2010, 03:37 PM
hello everybody, in the next few days i will be getting into the world of vinyl and i am very excited especially because im doing it at such a young age. I am getting a turntable in the next few days for free from a family friend and it is a pretty good one for my first one. I have no idea what kind it is or anything all i know is that it used to be my dads. I think i will really love vinyls and the time it takes to put one on, if u really love audio, u also love looking at the equipment, setting it up, watching it work, and best of all listening to it. so i need some basic advice because i will be upgrading it adventually but at the moment i have no idea about anything really so i need some help, i need help on what i should look for in upgrading, what i should look out for in terms of bad and good i want to learn as much as i can cause its all new to me :) so im looking forward to all your feedback and your advice thanx guys :)

JohnMichael
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
hello everybody, in the next few days i will be getting into the world of vinyl and i am very excited especially because im doing it at such a young age. I am getting a turntable in the next few days for free from a family friend and it is a pretty good one for my first one. I have no idea what kind it is or anything all i know is that it used to be my dads. I think i will really love vinyls and the time it takes to put one on, if u really love audio, u also love looking at the equipment, setting it up, watching it work, and best of all listening to it. so i need some basic advice because i will be upgrading it adventually but at the moment i have no idea about anything really so i need some help, i need help on what i should look for in upgrading, what i should look out for in terms of bad and good i want to learn as much as i can cause its all new to me :) so im looking forward to all your feedback and your advice thanx guys :)

Several of us are very passionate about turntables and can give much advice. My first upgrade thought is the phono cartridge. Or at least a replacement stylus/needle if the cartridge has some age on it. Once you have it and can share the manufacturer and model number we can give more than generic advice.

The next issue is what electronics do you have and is there a built-in phono preamp? A phono cartridge has a lower output than a cd player and that output needs to be equalized and amplified. So you may need a phono preamp.

You mentioned how excited you are to have a turntable at such a young age. When I was young the turntable was about the only option so I was about 14 when I had my first turntable. Just adding some perspective.

ryanianmckinnon
01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
yeah i dont really know much about it but once i get it i will post all that info about it and then i can get further advice and im using a Denon pma 2000r int. amp it has a phono output or whatever you call it and i was reading in the reviews on it that its a pretty good phono stage but i will see for myself and if its not that good i will get a separate phono preamp if needed, and yeah now these days most people my age care more about connivence than anything else, not that many people i know are interested in audio as much as i am thats why im so excited to get into vinyl and my dad is so happy that im getting into to cause i think vinyl is great and its the best or one of the best ways to listen to music

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Congrats ryan!! Welcome to the rest of your audio life. Analog really involves the listener physically, mentally and emotionally. It can be as frustrating as it is rewarding.

There's alot to learn, just take your time and get familiar with your table. Don't worry about upgrading right now.

You'll have lots of help here at AR. Here's some good reading at the Vinyl Asylum, enjoy!

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.pl?audio/faq.html#vinyl

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 04:19 PM
You mentioned how excited you are to have a turntable at such a young age. When I was young the turntable was about the only option so I was about 14 when I had my first turntable. Just adding some perspective.

Except back then they had big cranks and were called Gramaphones...

ryanianmckinnon
01-31-2010, 04:23 PM
thank you poppac it can be frustrating but in the end when ur done and u get to sit back and listen to your equipment perform i think to me thats all worth it yeah im sure i will get alot of help on AR i know i have ALOT to learn

02audionoob
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Except back then they had big cranks and were called Gramaphones...

Oh...I thought it was a Grandmaphone. Silly me.

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh...I thought it was a Grandmaphone. Silly me.

What are you retarded? It's a Grandmophone.

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
thank you poppac it can be frustrating but in the end when ur done and u get to sit back and listen to your equipment perform i think to me thats all worth it yeah im sure i will get alot of help on AR i know i have ALOT to learn

Totally worth it...

02audionoob
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
... I think i will really love vinyls...

Are we going to let Ryan get away with calling LPs "vinyls" around here?

ryanianmckinnon
01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
yeah its totally worth it especially when u see it working and moving it just fills me with joy or toying around with your new equipment is always fun to and yeah i will use LP's and TT's what exactly does LP mean just to make it clear to me so i can stop making noob mistakes :P

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Let's at least wait til the table is at his house, he's technically still not a vinyls's owner yet.

ryanianmckinnon
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
haha sounds good yeah i know some of my words arnt 'correct' thats why i want to learn