Yamaha DVD-S1800 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha DVD-S1800

JoeE SP9
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
This a quick post to let others in on this.

The $40 Magnavox DVD player from Walmart lasted six months. The video display section died. It still plays CD's and the audio portion of DVD's just fine. Sound alone is OK but my girlfriend and I watch movies and “training films” in bed. So after doing a little research I settled on a Yamaha DVD-S1800. At $79.99, down from a list of $449 with DVD, SACD and DVD-A playback it seemed like a good deal.
I ordered it on Wednesday from Amazon (free shipping) and UPS delivered it Friday. I connected it up to my main rig and gave it a quick listen. It wasn't bad but sounded “woolly” in the low end the mid-range was “in your face” and the highs were kind of “wiry”. The picture looked very good if a little washed out. I tuned the picture up with a DVD. Then I used a CD and a DVD (swapped every couple of hours) on continuous repeat to burn it in until today.
Right out of the box I was impressed. It's a lot for ~$80. The ten pound weight and the substantial look and feel are very good. It's even got some “he-man feet”. It's dead quiet playing CD's or DVD's and relatively quick loading either. There is an audio direct switch on the remote that when engaged shuts of all video circuitry and the front panel display for audio CD's, DVD-A's and SACD's. I haven't listened enough to tell if it makes a difference but having the option is nice.
The woolly bass is gone, the midrange is smooth and sweet. The highs still seem very slightly bright. I expect that to lessen as it gets more playing time. It's clearly better sounding on RBCD's and SACD's than my Sony DVP NS-500V. I'm not sure but so far the digital out seems no better or worse than that from the Sony. The only thing I haven't checked is it's DVD-A performance. That's because I don't have any, yet. The Sony didn't play them so I haven't bought any. It also has all the video stuff including progressive scan and up-conversion on the HDMI output.
I'm keeping this in my main rig. The Sony is going to the bedroom system. Sigh, I guess I'll have to get some DVD-A's to make sure that function works properly. I can't wait to check. If you're looking for a multi format player you owe it to yourself to give this a look. For $79.99 you can't go wrong.

BTW: One of the sites I went to while researching said the unit was built by Oppo.

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
blackraven and IRG both bought that unit too Joe. They seem to dig it. Are you using the analog outputs, or just as a transport? My Yamaha sounds great as a transport. I still haven't challenged it's own abilities.

BTW, I have been using Media Monkey for the last week and I'm loving it. Rips and converts in FLAC and is loaded with features that only freaks like us would dig. I give up on Creative. Great hardware but quite possibly the most buggy, crap software going.

JoeE SP9
01-31-2010, 04:42 PM
I have to go analog on the SACD stuff. Initially, I think it's cleaner with more depth than the Sony DVP with SACD. With RBCD and analog out it's very close to my modified Marantz CD-63SE. The differences between the Yamaha and my Marantz both going through the MSB DAC are very subtle but (I think) are there. After only a couple of hours of listening it's hard to be exact. I expect to hear more subtle differences as the "Yammie" gets some play time.
The Sony has been moved to my bedroom.

IRG
01-31-2010, 05:52 PM
I really like mine. But I can't compare it directly to anything of really high quality. But as a cd player (which is only what I use it for) I feel it is excellent. I've been playing mostly classical and jazz on it, some Pink Floyd, not much rock yet. I use the rca outs. No complaints from me whatsoever, looks nice, build quality is great. And at $79, there isn't a better value out there I don't think.

JoeE SP9
01-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Did you guys here that!!!!
$79 for a player that plays SCAD, DVD-A and DVD's. Nice build and "he man" feet.

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Videophiles have been dumping their old Oppo DVD players on Ebay for sometime now. They've been coming in at around $100 give or take. I've really been thinking about it, but we've opted to wait and get a Blu instead.

Obviously, $79 new is a better deal, but alot of these Oppo machines are in pristine condition.

Anyhow, I've been happy with my Yammy so join the club. The more the merrier...