Kenwood KR-9400 - which speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood KR-9400 - which speakers?

joshc
01-31-2010, 10:35 AM
I have just acquired a Kenwood KR-9400 which is in mint condition, but now I need some good speakers to go with it. This receiver is 120 watts per channel, minimum RMS at 8 ohms, and accepts speaker impedance of 4 to 16 ohms. Any recommendations of which speakers would work best with it? Thanks.

thekid
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Welcome to AR!
Congratulations on a very nice vintage receiver.
I have a very similar Kenwwod Eleven III that I have used to power a variety of speakers.

It really is up to you what speakers you wanted match with your KR-9400. If you want to vintage there is a variety of speakers you can use such as Large Advents, Dynaco A-25's or early KLH to name a few.

Charlie04SiR
02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I have just acquired a Kenwood KR-9400 which is in mint condition, but now I need some good speakers to go with it. This receiver is 120 watts per channel, minimum RMS at 8 ohms, and accepts speaker impedance of 4 to 16 ohms. Any recommendations of which speakers would work best with it? Thanks. The best pair of vintage speakers to pair up with the KR-9400, IMO, are Kenwood LS-407A's or LS-407B's. Those are a sonic match to the output of the 9400 and they will take your breath away with linearity, clarity, smooth highs, detailed mids, and superfluous, quick, tight bass. In other words, they are a perfect mate to the 9400 being that they are rated to the same 120 Watts power handling. But be careful in locating a pair of nice original LS-407's as they are not easy to find with the original drivers in them. Use my pair in my picture gallery for your search reference if you like :)

dartest
12-21-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a pair of Kenwood LS-407Bs if you're still looking for something to go with your receiver. I'm in Vermont.

Mr Peabody
12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
In something new take a look at www.zuaudio.com I haven't heard them yet but have a pair on order.

Infinity RS series sounded pretty good with Kenwood as well.

Keeping with vintage you might also consider better Klipsch like Forte, most anything in the Heritage or new Reference series.