When life hands you lemons... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : When life hands you lemons...

Finch Platte
03-30-2004, 06:22 AM
...you make copies.

So I'm walking out to my mailbox, which is across the road. A busy road, where people like to drive their cars as though they're making a commercial at the Bonnieville Salt Flats, trying to bust the sound barrier. If I may digress, on the other hand, I was behind an SUV the other day thru a parking lot, and the driver was being sooooo cautious over the speedbumps, you woulda thought she was carrying a heart in a cooler for the first heart transplant. She was going so slowly, she almost began rolling backwards before she reached the top of the bump. I thought, "there's a woman who doesn't own a T.V., cuz if she did, she'd know how people really drive those things."

But anyhoo, I'm walking out to the mailbox, and in the gravel by the side of the road is a shiny disc, face down. My first thought is it's a homemade CD. Usually I pick them up, they've got a big split down one side of the disc, and the Sharpie writing says "Xavier's Mix 1" and I'm thinking is Xavier such a bad DJ that someone takes the disc out of the car player, folds it until it cracks and flings it out the window, where it narrowly avoids decapitating a rare Swainson's Hawk? Or is Xavier a mailman, and is he just practicing until I send out my next batch of CDs?

So I flip the disc over, and it's a store-bought'un. Shania Twain. Come On Over. The disc is pitted and scratched, but I take it inside and put it in the Sony. It's not offensive, so I listen to the whole thing, and it only skskskskips on two songs. So, I think, well, I'll make a copy for a co-worker, maybe she'll like it. Plus it'll be kind of an experiment- will the copy be skip-free? Kinda like Jefferson Starship? Get it? And yes, there are no skips on the new copy.

So. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I now have a Shania Twain disc in my collection, if anyone wants a copy. Not for yourself, of course. Of course.

elf pee

Stone
03-30-2004, 07:33 AM
Wow, good to know that if I ever need a Shania (music) fix, I can turn to someone around here . . . Don't hold your breath. Now, if you had found a DVD with some videos of her, then we'd be talkin'.

On a related note, I still have a GnR cassette I found in a parking lot about 10 years ago.

On yet another related note, I still haven't had a chance to get the cassette deck you sent me up and running. Hopefully, in a couple weeks I'll have significantly more free time and get the thing going.

DarrenH
03-30-2004, 07:39 AM
My wife likes Shania. And all the other female singers within that genre too!

It's not bad but I have to leave the room after awhile. With Shania wailing and my wife doing her part to keep up it can be little much. But hey, she likes it and is having fun, so that's cool.

Oh, I don't need a copy. My wife probably has it anyway.

Darren

PS You gonna send me copy of your comp that got no takers? The lastest one, I think.

Finch Platte
03-30-2004, 07:49 AM
PS You gonna send me copy of your comp that got no takers? The lastest one, I think.

No takers, huh? Hmmm. I had 5 copies of that thing, and now they're alllll gone. Except yours, which is still on the living room table, awaiting an envelope. You'll get it, and you'll be the 5th person to be sorry. :D

I like the 7th track of Come On Over, unfortunately.

ep

Finch Platte
03-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Wow, good to know that if I ever need a Shania (music) fix, I can turn to someone around here . . . Don't hold your breath. Now, if you had found a DVD with some videos of her, then we'd be talkin'.

On a related note, I still have a GnR cassette I found in a parking lot about 10 years ago.

On yet another related note, I still haven't had a chance to get the cassette deck you sent me up and running. Hopefully, in a couple weeks I'll have significantly more free time and get the thing going.

A DVD would be nice. Without all that singing crap.

And you haven't hooked up the deck? No wonder you're still talking to me.

ep

Mike
03-30-2004, 07:58 AM
So, I think, well, I'll make a copy for a co-worker, maybe she'll like it. Plus it'll be kind of an experiment- will the copy be skip-free? Kinda like Jefferson Starship? Get it? And yes, there are no skips on the new copy.

So. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I now have a Shania Twain disc in my collection, if anyone wants a copy. Not for yourself, of course. Of course.

elf pee

I'll pass on a copy thanks I'll stick with my Shania Twain fitnees DVD. But that's interesting about the copy being skip free, I've got a few dodgy discs which skip I'll have to try and copy them - Thanks

Shania Twain isn't she the one married to Mutt Lange (producer) who refuses to be photogaphed with her because he's so ugly.

Cheers
Mike

newtrix1
03-30-2004, 09:16 AM
That's the name of my latest comp!!

P.S.: what's a Swainsons Hawk? Sounds like a frozen dinner for a bird-of-prey.

Dusty Chalk
03-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey, I dig Shania Twain, and not just her looks. Actually bought her latest album just for that "Cha-ching" song, nicely sarcastic lyrics. I just wish she would do more of her dark stuff. I heard she writes both dark stuff and happy stuff, but only puts out (ahem!) the lighter stuff. I think I would like to hear her dark side.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind those DVD's neither.