How to Write a Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to Write a Review

poppachubby
01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey all. I have decided I want to review my gear. I have done 4 or 5 so far. My problem is I need some kind of formula to use. Right now, my reviews are scattered and unfocused.

Any suggestions or recipes you guys have would be great. I want to go short and sweet.

I have tried this so far.

Opening (Descriptive)
1st Par. (Pros)
2nd Par (Cons)
3rd Par (Comparison)
Closing (Summation)

Just wondering how you guys approach it...

thekid
01-30-2010, 06:27 AM
That works for me.
I would not worry about the format or even get to bogged down in vocabulary. the best reviews IMO reflect the reviewers opinion/passion for the gear sprinkled with pertinent technical details that helps others evaluate the gear or make comparisons.

The worst reviews sound like something from a wine tasting session.... "it presents itself with an unexpected openess with just a hint of earth bass tones"...... :D

poppachubby
01-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks kid. I definitely don't want to try to be or convey something that's not me. I just want to have some kind of format to go with.

I found when I tried just writing, at the end I had forgotten alot of details or things I wanted to say. When I went to edit, I found I was having to almost rewrite the whole thing. Like I said, I was all over the place.

I appreciate your comments, I'm hoping also to find out what guys like to read, or more importantly, don't like to read.

You know what prompted my desire to review my stuff? There's no Kenwood Basic C1 review. Can you believe that?!? The people need to know kid.

Have you done any reviews?

mlsstl
01-30-2010, 06:56 AM
You might want to consider compiling an outline before you start writing. Just make a list of the points or observations you wish to make and then organize the list in an order that makes sense to you. That will help keep you on track and make the review easier to read.

RGA
01-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Read Art Dudley - he has managed to maintain interesting review approaches over the years with the important facts, a few tidbits of audio in general, life experience, and will comment on the weaknesses. Following a formula will turn into a formula unfortunately.

thekid
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Pops

Good on you. I look forward to reading your review of the C1.

I think I have a few embarrassing reviews around here from my early days here on AR. Probably a miracle I did not get banned for the drivel I posted. If I recall they were not so much reviews as defenses against certain attitudes.

I do not have a critical enough ear, gear experience or technical knowledge to try and attempt a real review. I know what I like but I probably could not doing a very good job in telling you why.

poppachubby
01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Pops

Good on you. I look forward to reading your review of the C1.

I think I have a few embarrassing reviews around here from my early days here on AR. Probably a miracle I did not get banned for the drivel I posted. If I recall they were not so much reviews as defenses against certain attitudes.

I do not have a critical enough ear, gear experience or technical knowledge to try and attempt a real review. I know what I like but I probably could not doing a very good job in telling you why.

Funny, I feel mostly the same way as you. I was just chatting to EStat about this. My age and pocket book have limited my exposure to much variety. But on the other hand, guys like you and I represent the typical, "blue-collar" audiophile. I just coined that, not sure if that's the best depiction but I think you get my meaning.

If someone is considering a piece of gear, you and I know enough to tell him/her what they need to know.

I have an excellent ear, but again, I'm limited in real world experience. I refuse to read a bunch of reviews and wax like I know a thing or two.

Anyhow kid thanks for the replies. RGA if you're reading this, I don't want a cookie cutter approach, but rather a blueprint that I can work with to make sure that everything that should be in a review, gets in it.

The C1 will be the first on my list kid. I'm still loving it...if I end up upgrading down the line, I will keep it for use with my soundcard. I'll never get rid of it, I'm glad you were able to. (sniffle) I love you man...

OK, composed. I'm re-covering some bass traps and then I have a DIY TT mat project. The reviewing will start after that.

hifitommy
01-30-2010, 02:34 PM
his descriptions of sound leave no doubt in your mind about what he means. and read the reviews of others and emulate the style/format that appeals to your values. your first blueprint is a good start.

dont get too cutesy like art dudley (bunnies) or wes phillips (overly catchy metaphors). and speak with authority ONLY on subjects on which you are an authority. ferinstance, youre a musician, some things will come to you because of that.

Hyfi
01-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Here is the format they use over at Audio Asylum

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/16/167896.html

Sounds like a fun thing to do. Are you a Play at Home Dad?

kexodusc
01-31-2010, 06:33 AM
In a lot of ways, I find more honesty and valuable information in amateur-written, unstructured reviews where the person just writes what he or she thinks, than pro-style attempts at Shakespeare that sometimes dilute the message. Whatever approach you use, as long as your honest people will know what you're trying to say.

IRG
01-31-2010, 02:28 PM
I've often thought about reviews too, and the best way to approach them. It would seem challenging since every piece of equipment is a part of the greater whole, a synnergy if you will.

I like your overall approach, keeping it fairly simple, and concise. The adjectives I read from some reviewers makes me laugh at times, and it doesn't really help much. WhatHiFi always has fairly easy, simple to understand reviews. Stereophile goes into more depth, but they can be good too. They rely on a lot of recordings I'm often not familiar with, to judge equipment. Not sure sometimes how I feel about that.

I guess too, you need to have a reference system, what your system is, and then when you try a new piece of equipment, how it compares to the piece that had beeen in the reference system. It all gets back to the synnergy of the system, which is sometimes hard to explain.

I'm rambling here, but hopefully you get the point.