Buyers remorse??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buyers remorse???

Westville
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Okay so clicked the buy button and boom I own a stack of vintage McIntosh components. I had been searching for a good buy and I saw this stack and pulled the trigger a bit fast. Just hoping for a some kind words that I did not screw up that my $1700 for all three McIntosh MC 2505, C 28 pre MR 74 tuner. C28 MR74 MC2505 with cabinets was a smart move. I did my research and there they were so I did it.

Thoughts?

Description
"Stack of McIntosh MR 74, MC 2505, C28 L legged walnut cabinets 2 of three original boxes but have the liner box for the 3rd. This is a great stack of very nice solidly performing very good looking classic McIntosh. While not perfect, it is in incredible condition given age and is very very living roomable, you would be hard put to find 3 pieces together as nice I think. Pieces all have McIntosh stickers from clinics and all three were returned to McIntosh in 1995 for general going through and service. Pots are quiet and smooth, sound is clean FM performance solid, lights are all good, walnut cabinets all nice, this is just a nice stack of gearthat is great to listen to and a joy to use, very few things give the appearance of audio class like McIntosh. If it does not sell by The 31st as a stack I will be listing the pieces individually and want offers for individual pieces, I know not everyone will want the entire setup up, but just in case there is that one person that might , thought I would put it out there. Will be incredibly well packed for shipping and in many boxes."

Mr Peabody
01-29-2010, 08:50 PM
I think not. all 3 for $1700.00 is a good buy for Mac. If you decide you don't like it you could easily get your money back. The amp is 200 watts, that type of power in a quality amp doesn't come cheap. Many buy Mac based on name and rep. If this is your first jump into higher end audio I think you are in for a treat.

http://www.roger-russell.com/amplif2.htm#mc2205

Westville
01-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Okay as a newbie I feel much better and would like to thank you for your reply. I am a watch guy not an audio guy. I enjoyed a friends vintage Mac and what it was doing for him so I moved in that direction. I look forward to becoming more and more obsessed.

audio amateur
01-30-2010, 05:54 AM
. I look forward to becoming more and more obsessed.
LOL, I like that! Hang around these parts long enough and you just might end up that way! :D

Mr Peabody
01-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Welcome to AR. What speakers will you use? Any thoughts on CD player? You should always listen for yourself and test things, with that said, you should buy a quality cable to go between the preamp and power amp. Typically, most recommend Bluejeans for good budget cable but I'd actually recommend that you go even better than that. The Mac is high quality and would benefit from a more revealing cable. In keeping with the warmth of the Mac see if you might find some Analysis Plus or Cardas. Kimber and Transparent are good. Transparent is a more dynamic cable seeming to tighten up the bass and extending the highs.

www.spearitsound.com carries some used and close out cables. If you get a response from Jack he is very good with recommendations, a straight shooter who tries to steer you right. Don't email on the weekend, Jack is out and his back up isn't much help.

www.amusicdirect.com carry some brands of cable and will allow a 30 day return if not happy.

Blue Shadow
02-12-2010, 05:40 PM
The 2505 amp is a 50 wpc unit. I understand the number miss by MP. easy to do. 2505 vs. 2205.

If I had just bought that stack of gear, it would be visiting Terry in Knoxville TN for a full tune up before I got my hands on it. Excellent McIntosh Spa.