Yamaha DVD S-1800 initial impressions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha DVD S-1800 initial impressions

blackraven
01-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I just got my Yamaha DVD S-1800 in the mail today. Bought it for $79 new with a list of $400 or so, mainly for SACD/DVDA till I buy the Oppo BD-83se. I've been listening to it for the past hour and my initial impressions are that its just ok for standard Cd play and much better for SACD. On my reference system Cd's have some grain or edginess to them, Detail and bass are average. No muddiness, cymbals can be a little indistinct. I'm sure it would sound better on my less revealing Monitor audio's.

SACD is where this player shines. The sound is smoother, airy, with a much wider sound stage. Bass is more prominent and there is more detail and resolution although it still can't compete with my DAC. Treble is smoother but a little pushed back with a slight roll off.

Overall. I'm happy with the purchase for the price and SACD play. I think the sound will get better when its broken in and I use better IC's. I'm using AudioQuest Corals and I will give it a listen with BJC's.

JoeE SP9
01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
I just got one also. See my comments under General Audio. I agree!!!!

It sounds much better after 40 hours of burn in.

jrhymeammo
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Where did you guys get it?

blackraven
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Amazon, It definitely sounds more open and airy with a wider sound stage and better resolution compared to that Marantz of yours, at least on my system using a hybrid tube preamp. While its not the end all of SACDP's it does sound extremely good for SACD. A little grainy on Cd though. You can't lose for $79 and people have preferred its DVD performance over the Oppo's although I can't comment on that. It seems well made and has a decent remote. It auto senses SACD's and was plug and play. I did not use any of the OSD settings to configure it for SACD through the analog outs.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DVD-S1800BL-1080p-Upconverting-Player/dp/B000WKTG76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265080508&sr=8-1

jrhymeammo
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey BR,

1 stupid question.
I'm a 2ch guy, and if I don't want multi-ch SACD to play in multi-ch, is there an external button I can press? Or do I need to set it up on a menu via TV monitor?
I don't like having a TV in my listening room so this will be somewhat important.

Thanks for the link,
JRA

blackraven
02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I just popped the SACD in and the SACD light lit up on the front panel and it played. There is a Cd, and 2ch and multi channel button on the remote but it doesnt seem to do anything when pushed. I think it must be for when you have it hooked up in a 5.1 system. I did not hook the player up to my TV and I am only running it in 2ch analog. The instructions are your typical Japanese confusing crap. I have an Adcom AVR and the instructions are well thought out and easy. Every piece of Japanese equipment I have owned has poor instructions, except for my Sony TV.

jrhymeammo
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks BR,

I will consider this one if I chose to go with a different setup.
I would appreciate it if you can give a review after a long break-in.

Thanks again,

blackraven
02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
JoeE bought one and has at least 40hrs of burn in and he states the sound improved. I'll give a review in a few days. I'm going to let it run over night for a few days to see if std Cd play improves, although I really won't be using it for that. I bought it for SACD play only till I buy the Oppo BD-83se later this year. Then I will either use it in one of my other systems or give it to my son.

I need to see how it compares to my Music Hall 25.2 as a transport for my DAC.

blackraven
02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
This is for JoeE, IRG, JRA concerning the SACD and Cd play of this unit. There is a button on the remote that is labeled multi/2ch and the manual is not clear on how it works. I called Yamaha and basically for 2ch SACD you want to hit the button so that Stereo Area appears on the front panel and it will play 2ch SACD if your Cd has multiple layers such as a hybrid.
Although, I havent noticed any difference in sound when I have it set on multi or stereo with hybrid SACD's.

The unit also has an Audio Direct button that will turn off all the video circuits so that you get the cleanest audio playback on Cd/SACD's. I can't hear the difference in sound.

And by the way JRA, I can tell already that some of the graininess on std Cd is resolving and its sounding much better.. SACD is excellent. I'm thinking about buying 2 more for my kids.

dottsworld
08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
I received this unit from Yamaha as a replacement for a non-working Yamaha DVD S-1500. After a two week break-in, the sound quality for cd, SACD, & DVD-A is good and equal to the S-1500 unit even though the S-1800 does not have the cd up-sampling feature. I was considering upgrading to the Pioneer Elite DV-58AV or an Oppo universal player but now I may just wait.

On the video front, this unit has 1080p upsampling which the S-1500 did not have. The picture quality is considerably better than all of my previously owned dvd/universal players (various Pioneer, LG, and Yamaha models). Disc loading is faster for dvd and cd too. The S-1800 also has a detachable power cord which the S-1500 did not have. Overall, I am very pleased with this unit.

JoeE SP9
08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Welcome to AR. Mine is still in daily use in my main (only) system.

harley .guy07
08-26-2011, 06:59 PM
You can't beat that price for a good player like the Yamaha and even though it's no Oppo it will get the job done for the price paid until you get the Oppo.

Poultrygeist
09-14-2011, 04:37 PM
I really enjoy SACD and for a unit at this price it's a no brainer.