Martin Logans Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Martin Logans Speakers

frenchmon
01-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know anything about the Martin Logan Mosaic Speakers? How do they do in two channel? Are they any good?

frenchmon

koven
01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
It's a love/hate sound, don't buy without auditioning.

frenchmon
01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
I gather that you've heard that particular speaker then? Just wondering. Saw a pair for sale but can't go listen. Thanks anyways.

frenchmon

Mr Peabody
01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately, I never got to give those a close listen. I don't think they were accepted very well, don't know if it was due to sound. There's a Stereophile review fwiw. The last retail price before discontinuing was $1795.00 a pair.

Personally, if I was going ML I'd get a stat.

Feanor
01-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Unfortunately, I never got to give those a close listen. I don't think they were accepted very well, don't know if it was due to sound. There's a Stereophile review fwiw. The last retail price before discontinuing was $1795.00 a pair.

Personally, if I was going ML I'd get a stat.
Ditto that.

However, as I understand, the Mosaic does use the Bohlender Graebener Neo3 planar tweeter, (which SEE (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-730)).

This is very nice tweeter that I used myself in my DIY center channel. It is smooth and detailed. One difference with ML is that they use in in dipolar mode whereas I use it with the "back cup" as a monopole. According to some reports it is better either as a dipole or with the supplied back cup removed and custom baffling used. See my DIY ...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/199052DIY_center_channel.jpg

audio amateur
01-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Wow, v. nice speaker Feanor! What kind of woofer is that?

Feanor
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Wow, v. nice speaker Feanor! What kind of woofer is that?
The woofer is a Vifa MG18WK09-04, 6.5", now discontinued ... see here (http://www.tymphany.com/mg18wk09-04)

TheHills44060
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
I agree with the majority here...if you're gonna go ML it doesn't make much sense not to get an electrostat. When it comes to ML's i have always thought go big or go home. I was not all that impressed with the Aerius i's because i thought the woofer could have meshed with panel better. It wasn't until i heard the bigger SL3's and Prodigy's that I realized what a large stat could really do. I came soooooo close to pulling the trigger years ago and buying a pair.

Mr Peabody
01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I think the Aeries maybe were made to meet a price point but the woofer wasn't much help. It rolled off sharply. It would be an inexpensive used speaker and with a sub would work very well. The panels sounded fine..

JoeE SP9
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
IMO the problem with the smaller ML hybrids is a crossover point that's too high. There is an integration problem because of the differing dispersion patterns of the different driver types. With most "stats" any thing over 100Hz for a crossover point is too high.