Are Internet HiFi Sales Taking Over??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are Internet HiFi Sales Taking Over???

Ajani
01-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I've noticed how commonly we now buy from and recommend products from either online dealers or direct from manufacturers on these forums.... Does this mean that Internet Sales are becoming common place for HiFi???

Emotiva, Oppo, Van Alstine, AV123, Axiom, Benchmark, Odyssey Audio, BlueJeansCables, Fritz Speakers, Magnepan (MMG), etc... all get recommended quite readily by forum members...

Plus the big online retailers: MusicDirect and AudioAdvisor... also Underwoodhifi, NeedleDoctor, ElusiveDisc, etc...

Second Hand: Audiogon (US) & CanuckAudioMart (Canada).... even Ebay...

Heck one of our regulars even bought a Krell online from MusicDirect (so we're definitely not talking about only cheaper products being purchased online)... So is this a sign of the times changing???

Since HiFi lost ground in traditional brick and mortar retail outlets, is online the natural next step? Considering how many of us live nowhere near a major dealer with a decent selection of gear, online sales maybe the only way we'll get access to many brands....

audio amateur
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Are Internet HiFi Sales Taking Over???

I love the three question marks. Would it really be a surprise to you if it was the case?

nightflier
01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Well there's the hi-fi brands listed above, then there's the kind of hi-fallutin'-fi that still gets sold through the dealer network. I'm not sure the higher end stuff is competing or even trying to compete with online-sold gear.

dakatabg
01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
it is better online because most of the time you don't pay taxes and it is cheaper than in the store.

I live in Chicago and I'm a big craigslist fan so most of the stuff i buy on craigslist.

Ajani
01-29-2010, 03:27 PM
I love the three question marks. Would it really be a surprise to you if it was the case?

Maybe!!!

recoveryone
01-29-2010, 03:39 PM
With the lost of small independent sellers and large box stores that have sales staff with no clue. The internet is a breath of fresh air to compare items, prices, customer support along with reviews from everyday people like yourself. The once holy grail of Hi-Fi mags that offered us sound advice as been diluted with kickback payments of ad sale space. Forums like this enhance the buying power of us and returns consumers confidence in products that are available.