Home Theater Speaker system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Speaker system

priince
01-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello All,
I am excited to buy my 2nd HT system.. well first one was a Zenith HTiB a very cheap one.. now since I have an entertainment room I want to install a component speaker system. My budget is $1000-$1200. I know for absolute high quality sound this might be very low.. but I consider by self between a casual listener and audiophile. I do not understand the fine differences in sound between various speakers but I can figure out between an "ok" and a very good system. That's IMO. I may be wrong. Till I started hunting for HT system I thought Sony, Panasonic, Yamaha are the best brands..

I will be using the following components
46" Sony Bravia LCD TV 1080p 120Hz
PS3
ATT Uverse box
May be a DVD player
Laptop

There are speakers in 4 rooms in the house that were installed by the previous owner, so a multizone feature is required for the AV receiver.

Here are 2 options I had in mind.

AV Receiver
Choice1: Onkyo TX-SR607
Choice2: Denon AVR1910

Speaker System:
Choice1:

Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system

Choice2:

Polk Audio Floor Standing Tsi300 Left/Right
Polk Audio CS10 CenterSpeaker
Polk Audio PSW505 Powered Subwoofer

I looked at quite a few different speaker systems but none of them were fitting my budget. Please let me know if there are any brands out there that are good and unheard of that will fall in my price range

Please advise.

Thanks,
Prince

Worf101
01-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Of the two systems you've outlined I'd personally go with the Onkyo 607 and the Polk Speakers. I own the 607 and run it in my upstairs bedroom system. I've found it to be excellent value, fairly straight forward to set up and run. I dislike the new remote, much prefer the older back-lit units, but that's a small quibble.

I don't own either Bose or Polk. If you can, listen to both and see which one you prefer. I have always gone used speakers off the Bay for all my sound systems. I've heard systems using both brands. If buying for myself I'd go witht he Polks but there are many small to medium systems for saled, take a look at what Axiom, Cambridge Soundworks and other companies have to offer and I'm sure you'll find something in your price range.

Worf

Mr Peabody
01-29-2010, 06:19 AM
I 2nd the 607 and Polk. Without a second look, going from memory the 607 has more features and the HDMI is fully functional and all the HD audio decoders are there.

For affordable decent speakers give a listen to Paradigm, B&W, Energy and Epos. But if they take you over your budget I think you'd be happy with the 607/Polk combo. Polk definitely over Bose, and Polk can be bested for not a lot more money.

priince
01-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Of the two systems you've outlined I'd personally go with the Onkyo 607 and the Polk Speakers. I own the 607 and run it in my upstairs bedroom system. I've found it to be excellent value, fairly straight forward to set up and run. I dislike the new remote, much prefer the older back-lit units, but that's a small quibble.

I don't own either Bose or Polk. If you can, listen to both and see which one you prefer. I have always gone used speakers off the Bay for all my sound systems. I've heard systems using both brands. If buying for myself I'd go witht he Polks but there are many small to medium systems for saled, take a look at what Axiom, Cambridge Soundworks and other companies have to offer and I'm sure you'll find something in your price range.

Worf

Thanks Worf. Looks like Onkyo wins. I heard good reviews about it, only one thing I wasn't sure about it was if 2/2 zones/sources are enough for my 3 rooms + main room and when they say HD upconversion to 1080i.. does that mean my HDMI tv won't go to its full potential of 1080p or is it only when I try to convert analog sources?

I know there is a Bose showroom where I can go test but will have to look for a shop that has Polk speaker system

Prince

priince
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I 2nd the 607 and Polk. Without a second look, going from memory the 607 has more features and the HDMI is fully functional and all the HD audio decoders are there.

For affordable decent speakers give a listen to Paradigm, B&W, Energy and Epos. But if they take you over your budget I think you'd be happy with the 607/Polk combo. Polk definitely over Bose, and Polk can be bested for not a lot more money.

Thanks Mr Peabody. Yes Onkyo has all the audio decoders and tons of HDMI connections. I looked at all the brands you suggested but unfortunately all are pushing me out of budget.

LMB
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
1st choice Paradigm Studio used
2nd Polk
Also, look at Marantz, Onkyo runs hot sometimes
Stay away from Bose
"No Highs No Lows Must Be Bose"

priince
01-29-2010, 01:35 PM
1st choice Paradigm Studio used
2nd Polk
Also, look at Marantz, Onkyo runs hot sometimes
Stay away from Bose
"No Highs No Lows Must Be Bose"

Paradigm Studio and Marantz are almost double my budget :(, but thanks for the Bose warning :) I like the phrase

Prince

priince
01-29-2010, 01:40 PM
How are Infinity, Boston Acoustics, Fluance speakers?

LMB
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Marantz has a av receiver for $599 with HD audio
Used Paradigms $$
Boston Acoustics have a good sound
I have 130s Satellite and VRC center for sale for $350 if your interested

audio amateur
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I'd stay away from Fluence. Boston & Infinity are ok

LeRoy
01-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Hello All,
I am excited to buy my 2nd HT system.. well first one was a Zenith HTiB a very cheap one.. now since I have an entertainment room I want to install a component speaker system. My budget is $1000-$1200. I know for absolute high quality sound this might be very low.. but I consider by self between a casual listener and audiophile. I do not understand the fine differences in sound between various speakers but I can figure out between an "ok" and a very good system. That's IMO. I may be wrong. Till I started hunting for HT system I thought Sony, Panasonic, Yamaha are the best brands..

I will be using the following components
46" Sony Bravia LCD TV 1080p 120Hz
PS3
ATT Uverse box
May be a DVD player
Laptop

There are speakers in 4 rooms in the house that were installed by the previous owner, so a multizone feature is required for the AV receiver.

Here are 2 options I had in mind.

AV Receiver
Choice1: Onkyo TX-SR607
Choice2: Denon AVR1910

Speaker System:
Choice1:

Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system

Choice2:

Polk Audio Floor Standing Tsi300 Left/Right
Polk Audio CS10 CenterSpeaker
Polk Audio PSW505 Powered Subwoofer

I looked at quite a few different speaker systems but none of them were fitting my budget. Please let me know if there are any brands out there that are good and unheard of that will fall in my price range

Please advise.

Thanks,
Prince

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/cambridge-audio-speakers.html

Cambridge Audio Sirocco Series S30
Executive Office System Shelf Speakers
with Audiophile Grade Capacitors (PAIR),
Natural Oak or Black
Item # #CAMBS30
Your Price $219.00

Cambridge Audio S50 Sirocco Series Center Channel Speaker (EACH)
Black or Natural Oak
Item # S50
Your Price $199.00

Cambridge Audio S90 Sirocco Series Powered Speakers (EACH)
Black or Natural Oak
Item # S90
Your Price $299.00

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php

MORDAUNT SHORT Ms300 5 Piece Speaker Package Maple
Our Price: $349.99
Manufactures part #: MS300SM

Canton Movie 100 MX Home Cinema System
Our Price:$499.99
Manufactures part #:MV100MX

KEF Kht1005 Uni-q Sattelite Subwoofer Speaker Package In Silver
Our Price: $349.99
Manufactures part #:KHT1005

or...

http://www.vanns.com/

Jamo
A 102 HCS 5 black
Black 5.1-channel home theater speaker system
Jamo A 102 HCS 5 black Speakers
$399.99

Infinity
TSS-500 CHR
5.1-Channel Charcoal Total Solutions Series Speaker Packag
$399.88

Infinity
TSS-800 CHR
5.1-Channel Charcoal Total Solutions Series Speaker Package
$599.88

Definitive Technology
ProCinema 60.6
5.1 home theater speaker package
$399.00

Jamo
A 102 HCS 5 silver
Silver 5.1-channel home theater speaker system
$149.88

Jamo
S 413 HCS 5
5.1-channel black home theater speaker system
$249.88

Onkyo
SKS-HT540(B)
7.1-Channel Home Theater Speakers
$349.98

Klipsch
HD Theater 300
$399.94

Jamo
S 406 HCS 1 Black
5.0-channel black home-theater speaker system
$249.88

Mirage
Nanosat 5.1
5.1-channel black home theater system
$599.00

Yamaha
NSSP1800
$137.98

Happy shopping.

blackraven
01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
You should consider doing a 3.1 system with better speakers and sub and then add rear speakers when your budget allows. Consider a pair of PSB Alpha B's or PSB B-15's.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/all_psb_specials.htm

And one of these Monitor Audio subs- http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/monitor_audio_c_stock.htm

Mr Peabody
01-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Onkyo gets warm because they actually produce some current. It's not a problem as long as you give it ventilation. Onkyo will provide some punch and control that not many of their competitors can match. Especially, in the budget end where the 607 is. Not speaking of digital, if a amp/receiver don't produce some heat it doesn't have any balls and that's a fact.

You might find Infinity & Klipsch a bit bright. If more into HT Klipsch does have more of that raw sound like a theater because both Klipsch and movie theaters use horns. Boston back in the day used to not be bad but to me it now sounds awfully muffled. I'd personally prefer Polk.

I don't think many budget receivers will do 3 zones like you want. You may have to eventually get a room switcher. Look at some Sonus products. I have to admit I am not up to speed on the multizone stuff. Except to say don't be fooled by Yamaha's claims of multizone. Splitting hairs they do have multizone but they don't bother to say it doesn't work like you'd want and you have to sacrifice other speaker hook ups.

priince
02-01-2010, 08:05 AM
@LMB - I looked on eBay and craigslist but couldn't find any Paradigm deals at the moment. I will keep looking though. Thanks for the offer but I'd like to go for Polk for now.

@audio amateur - That's what I found too after reading few reviews.

@LeRoy - Wow!! That's an awesome list. I'll go through and see if I can find something I like. Thanks a bunch.

@Mr Peabody - Thankfully the previous owner has installed a fan in the cabinet to allow ventilation and the space is designed well, though aesthetically it needs some improvement from outside, which for now is not a priority. I didn't know about heating issue w/ Onkyo so I'll keep an eye on that. Onkyo TX-SR607 is rated the best in its price range when compared to other brands. Also, it fits my budget for the receiver between $400-500. Thanks for the tip.

@blackraven - That's exactly what I am doing. I am not considering satellite speakers for now. Firstly, they are critical for surround but for that I'd have to compromise on Front speakers or sub. I don't want to do that. Secondly, the previous owner left the wall mounted read speakers so for now they will be handy. They are Technics, which is a decent brand I think. Only problem is their placement is as if they are side speakers. I will get them replaced probably in a year.

On a side note, I went to Bose store to get a demo and was impressed w/ their Theater room demo.. no doubt the compactness and quality of Bose is very good and that's to my untrained ears. However, when I went to BestBuy and got a demo of the Polk speakers (all of them that I want).. the quality and sound of center & sub was better even in that not so organized Theater room.. just a feeling. My concern at the moment is the way my room is.. it's an entertainment cum walkout basement. The basement is big since there is a game room attached and both rooms don't have an enclosed door.. in short the entertainment/main room is not small and enclosed so Bose for sure might not work. I will need decent big floor standing speakers. Does anyone have similar room setup..?

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful and helpful answers.

Prince

Mr Peabody
02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
If you like the Polk then that's what you should get. Out of curiosity did you listen to Klipsch while there? The sound is about opposite Polk but Klipsch is hard to beat when trying to fill a large space with sound because they are so efficient.

The main thing with a room that open and large is finding subs to work in that space. You'll need good quality, large drivers and big power, which will be expensive. I don't know if I'd even buy the little Polk sub. Maybe just save up for one good one and add as money is available.

SVS is my favorite www.svsound.com they start at $569.00 for a cylinder.

Maybe some one will come along with the Rythmic website, I think they may be cheaper but not sure how they'd compare. You may be able to get away with a couple Infinity 12's but i don't know if they'd really be that much cheaper than the SVS and the SVS would be far superior in performance.

priince
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
If you like the Polk then that's what you should get. Out of curiosity did you listen to Klipsch while there? The sound is about opposite Polk but Klipsch is hard to beat when trying to fill a large space with sound because they are so efficient.

The main thing with a room that open and large is finding subs to work in that space. You'll need good quality, large drivers and big power, which will be expensive. I don't know if I'd even buy the little Polk sub. Maybe just save up for one good one and add as money is available.

SVS is my favorite www.svsound.com they start at $569.00 for a cylinder.

Maybe some one will come along with the Rythmic website, I think they may be cheaper but not sure how they'd compare. You may be able to get away with a couple Infinity 12's but i don't know if they'd really be that much cheaper than the SVS and the SVS would be far superior in performance.

Oh well.. I didn't :( I should have. But I knew that at this point I am not ready to spend more $$ even though it might be a significant difference in quality. It is just hard to convince my dear wife :D to shell out more$$.. :biggrin5:

I went ahead and purchased Polks.. Crutchfield has a good deal right now. I bought 2 Front Tsi300, Center CS10, and Sub PSW111 for $550.. I am not sure if this will be enough power.. but if not then, do you think I can add another sub... may be a second PSW111 or PSW110? Or just a different sub other than Polk?

I hope they all come out good. at least decent enough to enjoy my action & horror movies.. as well listen to some good music..

Thanks

Mr Peabody
02-02-2010, 05:13 AM
I didn't say the Klipsch would necessarily sound better, just louder. :)

You can add a matching sub down the road, or even a different one. When more time I'll have to check that to see the specs.

Enjoy!

blackraven
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Priince, I would not consider Bookshelfs satellite speakers. Many book shelfs sound better than cheap floor standers. Paired with a sub, bookshelfs can be awesome and you already have a sub.

I would take a look at this floor stander- http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT45

priince
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Priince, I would not consider Bookshelfs satellite speakers. Many book shelfs sound better than cheap floor standers. Paired with a sub, bookshelfs can be awesome and you already have a sub.

I would take a look at this floor stander- http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PBIMT45

I agree. Though I am not an expert but after reading a lot about audio and benefit of floorstanding I went for Polk floorstanding speakers. Though they are not the biggest but they are bigger than bookshelf.

priince
02-03-2010, 04:37 AM
So here's what I've ordered
Polk Speaker system (2 Front - TSi300, Center - CS10, Sub - PSW111) - Free sub with purchases over $499
Onkyo TX-SR 607 w/ extended warranty from newegg (Is this a reliable site?)
Monoprice speaker wires 12 AWG + Banana Plugs (Closed screw) (Will these also connect the sub to the receiver?)
x10 IR/RF Extender
Harmony 880 Advanced Universal remote

I think these should give me a good start. This may not be the best preferred system but the total comes to approx $1100, which is within my budget range of $1000 - $1200.

However, I am confused how I am going to connect my sub to the receiver. Can I use the same speaker wire used for other speakers or is there a special wire/cable to connect the sub? Please advise.

Thanks a bunch to everyone for helping me make an informed decision.

Prince

jvc
02-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Looks like I'm too late, but I'll tell you anyway.
A very good quality speaker system is http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
Along with being an excellent speaker builder, most know that SVS builds one of the best subwoofers on the planet. Just my $.02........

Mr Peabody
02-03-2010, 05:26 AM
At some point down the road you might try a pair of Bluejeans cable to see if you hear any improvement . I found them to be better than monoprice at a decent price but whether it makes a difference with HT receiver I'm not sure.

You will need a RCA cable to go from "LFE" or "sub out" on back of receiver to subwoofer. A 5.1 sound track has a dedicated subwoofer channel. Not sure how your sub connections look, some will have two RCA inputs and a Y adapter is needed and some these days are made to where you only need one RCA connection even though two is provided for a different type of hook up. You'll have to check your manual. For HT you would not use the speaker connections in a typical set up.

priince
02-03-2010, 07:41 PM
@jvc - Thanks for your 2cents. I looked at those when someone else suggested but unfortunately they weren't within my budget.

@Mr Peabody - Thanks for your guidance. I will try bluejeans cables later. Fortunately I have some RCA cables. I thought my weekend would be wasted if I missed something :))

@All - Each advice has been valuable and helpful in making my decision. It was very overwhelming since this is the first time I am putting together different components and stepping outside the world of Sony and Panasonic :)

priince
02-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Wow!! The system looks good. Though the glossy finish of Polk speakers might be a concern to keep it clean.. My entire weekend was spent looking at the speaker and receiver boxes since the wires didn't come till today. I managed to unwrap and get the speaker wires cut out in length. For aesthetic and safety purposes I put banana plugs. I know bare wires are preferred but since am doing it first time I didn't wanna take chances.

One thing I noticed is when I was splicing the wires there were some strands either cut loose or were left half. Is this a concern? There were none loose coming out from banana plugs.

Can some of you post pics of their setup? I might have to place center speaker directly under the TV close to the ground since there is no space underneath the TV. Top of the TV is too narrow. Also, subwoofer will be in a corner on the ground. Will this work?

Mr Peabody
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
A lot of subwoofer manufacturers recommend corner placement.

Your wires should be fine as long as a lot of strands weren't damaged.

If it would look alright in the room there are center speaker stands that will help get the center off the floor more. If not, it will be alright under the TV. Unfortunately that's where mine has to be. You can try tilting it up some and sit it out as much as you can get away with. My TV is on a stand with a shelf, so I have to put mine on that shelf. I'm planning to pull it out and place it on it's side to see how tall it is. I might do that during movies and put it back on shelf when not in use it it don't obstruct any views.

priince
02-10-2010, 08:20 AM
A lot of subwoofer manufacturers recommend corner placement.

Your wires should be fine as long as a lot of strands weren't damaged.

If it would look alright in the room there are center speaker stands that will help get the center off the floor more. If not, it will be alright under the TV. Unfortunately that's where mine has to be. You can try tilting it up some and sit it out as much as you can get away with. My TV is on a stand with a shelf, so I have to put mine on that shelf. I'm planning to pull it out and place it on it's side to see how tall it is. I might do that during movies and put it back on shelf when not in use it it don't obstruct any views.

I have put subwoofer in a corner for now.. but it is perpendicular to the seating. The problem I am having is if I guess the RCA wire is a bit loose, so if I move the subwoofer it gives out a loud hissing sound. I have to adjust the wire to stop it.

I was planning on mounting the center speaker on am empty cardboard box (used for packing). Visually it will be hidden since it's an in-wall cabinet. Thankfully, all the speakers except the sub are hidden.

Mr Peabody
02-10-2010, 08:04 PM
The hidden speakers may be attractive but it will screw up your sound quality pretty good.

priince
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM
The hidden speakers may be attractive but it will screw up your sound quality pretty good.

Even if the cabinet has Acoustical fabric? That's what I was told :rolleyes5:

Mr Peabody
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
The shelf the speakers are in has acoustical fabric? I'm not sure if that would help. Maybe to keep some of the reflections down. You are still limiting the area around the speaker and not allowing full dispersion of the sound. If you are happy with it and you have to compromise then what can you do.

priince
02-12-2010, 09:24 AM
The shelf the speakers are in has acoustical fabric? I'm not sure if that would help. Maybe to keep some of the reflections down. You are still limiting the area around the speaker and not allowing full dispersion of the sound. If you are happy with it and you have to compromise then what can you do.

I agree. As per WAF I can't have speakers outside :)). No rule or any law in the world can alter that hahah..