Quick shout out to Hsu Research [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quick shout out to Hsu Research

Jim Clark
01-28-2010, 08:59 AM
My subwoofer has long been the second biggest weakness in my system (room being the reigning champ). Saw a Hsu VTF 3 MK 2 for 400.00 on Craigslist and ran straight over. This thing would have been worth the 800 new and I feel like I stole it for 400. Read quite a few reviews and posts lauding the bang for the buck with HSU, sorry I waited so long. I'm sure SVS has something at least comparable but to date all I've heard is the PC cylinder subs and while they churn out solid bass, they have a very low WAF. While the HSU is no bathing beauty, it at least sits in the corner behind the chair out of sight.

Since I only use a sub for the AV side of things I figured I was getting by. I was wrong. In the next few weeks I'll pair it up with a velodyne sms-1 that I still have sitting in the box and hope for even better results. What everyone has been saying for years is true, HSU puts out a very nice product.

jc

nightflier
01-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes they do. Congrats on the purchase. And Hsu is a very easy company to deal with on tech support too. Just a couple of notes: I'm pretty sure Hsu was actually first out the door with a cylinder sub, before SVS, but the latter outmarketed them pretty quickly. Ironically, SVS now sells primarily box subs, has many more models to choose from than Hsu, and is a much larger company today.

That said, on a price-value scale, the two are neck and neck and given that Hsu is smaller, their support and assistance is more personalized, IMO. If you live in SoCal, you can even visit their show room, meet Dr. Hsu, and he even does personal in-home assessments for some clients. He's a great guy and never pushed his own products on me, even offering advice on setting up my SVS subs. Anyhow, congrats on the purchase - I'm sure you'll get many years of solid bass out of it.

P.S. Hsu is also the man behind Outlaw's subs and does regular consulting for other manufacturers as well.

Mr Peabody
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I looked at HSU's website first actually when I began looking for a new sub. I can't remember my problem but i didn't get along with the website. So checked out SVS and found what I needed and exchanged some emails. The rest is history.

I also heard HSU was originator. Good to know they are performers.

Worf101
01-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Hsu isn't all I've heard, they're not all I've owned BUT they're just about all I'd recommend. They email regularly once or twice a year to find out how I'm doing, my my first generation VTF 2 and 3 are doing (both rock solid by the by) and I've never had so persoanl relationship with an electronics company or ANY company for that matter. First rate outfit, great gear.

Worf