New IPad, who wants one? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New IPad, who wants one?

usbmusic
01-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Anyone see the new Ipad from Apple? :18:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

http://images.apple.com/ipad/home/images/hero6_20100127.png

Will you consider one?

bfalls
01-28-2010, 07:55 AM
My wife was talking about this last night. I could tell from her manner, it won't be long before she has one. She had that look like us when we see a great set of speakers, or want that new full-feature Blu-ray player.

The good thing about Apple is they rarely discount their gear, so you don't have buyer's remorse after you purchase something and see it cheaper elsewhere. I'll have to start a pool at work to see who's picks the time closest to when she buys one. It's going to happen. It's just a matter of time.

dakatabg
01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't mind to get the new one!

Ajani
01-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I'd buy it.... Seems like the ultimate controller for my music server!!!! Plus I can surf the net while I listen to music....

nightflier
01-28-2010, 09:28 AM
The better-than-anticipated price-point is going to make this a quick seller - too bad it missed the holiday season. I also think this ups the anti on price for the Windows/Linux based competitors to come up with something comparable. However, for more serious work, the kind businesses will need, it lacks features and power. This is definitely a consumer-oriented product and will only penetrate the corporate sector when ver2.0 arrives, the same way the iPhone did.

noddin0ff
02-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Nah, can see having an iPod/iPhone a MacBook AND and iPad. Although...I've been eying eBook readers and Ajani makes and interesting point about home media control and coffee table device. Just can't justify the cost vs. the minor 'inconvenience' of carrying paperbacks.

Give me 10 more years though and I'll be all over it as my eyes go...

poppachubby
02-04-2010, 06:16 AM
You gonna sell this info to Apple?

audio amateur
02-04-2010, 06:21 AM
If it can't handle more than one program at a time, why on earth would anyone want one?

Feanor
02-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Anyone see the new Ipad from Apple? :18:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Will you consider one?
No, given it has a non-mulititasking operating system, is really just an oversized iPod Touch.

If I used iTunes as my music player -- which I don't -- and wanted a niffty remote control I would more likely get the iTouch since it makes a more practical mobile music device.

The iPad might eventually make a nice book reader, (color screen, etc.), but it's too soon for me to "read" (pun) the ebook market. Right now Amazon's Kindle has free Wi-fi download, and Google is another option.

markw
02-04-2010, 06:28 AM
They are gonna call it the MaxIpad.

Hyfi
02-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Mad TV did a skit 5 years ago for an iPad but it was just for women:ihih:

jrhymeammo
02-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Some POS broke into my car last weekend and stole my iPod, Radar Detector, Cologne, 3 packs of smokes, and other items I'm not aware of yet. I was furious about my smokes, and was really glad the Fu*ker didn't bust my window.

It looks really cool though. No doubt about that.

Woochifer
02-05-2010, 03:55 PM
This seems more like a proof-of-concept release than anything, much like the original iPhone. It has intriguing functionality and some new UI twists. But, it seems that the gamechanging potential of the iPad won't be realized until probably a year from now after developers have had a chance to work on dedicated apps for the iPad and Apple's media content gameplan becomes clearer.

This is no different than the iPhone, which broke new ground upon its release but didn't evolve into truly gamechanging platform until the app store and software development kit arrived a year later. The iPad has the advantage of being able to run nearly all of the existing iPhone apps right out of the box, but as a 1.0 product I think the iPad's just scratching the surface of what Apple has planned for it. Even so, it probably would be a safe purchase considering that new OS features would get added with a simple software update. The only thing that would give pause is if you really need a vidcam (I would expect that in future iPad versions) or memory card slots (very unlikely to appear in future versions) or some other type of hardware.

If it can't handle more than one program at a time, why on earth would anyone want one?

The iPhone OS 4.0 will likely be out before the next iPhone updates are announced (usually in June). I would be very surprised if that update does not implement third party multitasking. All the rumors have been pointing in that direction. Plus, the iPhone/iPod touch can already multitask the core Apple apps alongside other apps, so there's no inherent limitation in the hardware or OS.

Ajani
02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
This seems more like a proof-of-concept release than anything, much like the original iPhone. It has intriguing functionality and some new UI twists. But, it seems that the gamechanging potential of the iPad won't be realized until probably a year from now after developers have had a chance to work on dedicated apps for the iPad and Apple's media content gameplan becomes clearer.

This is no different than the iPhone, which broke new ground upon its release but didn't evolve into truly gamechanging platform until the app store and software development kit arrived a year later. The iPad has the advantage of being able to run nearly all of the existing iPhone apps right out of the box, but as a 1.0 product I think the iPad's just scratching the surface of what Apple has planned for it. Even so, it probably would be a safe purchase considering that new OS features would get added with a simple software update. The only thing that would give pause is if you really need a vidcam (I would expect that in future iPad versions) or memory card slots (very unlikely to appear in future versions) or some other type of hardware.

The iPhone OS 4.0 will likely be out before the next iPhone updates are announced (usually in June). I would be very surprised if that update does not implement third party multitasking. All the rumors have been pointing in that direction. Plus, the iPhone/iPod touch can already multitask the core Apple apps alongside other apps, so there's no inherent limitation in the hardware or OS.

Yep... Well said Wooch... That's exactly what I expect will happen with the iPad... Apple has the confidence to launch products before they have all the 'must have' apps in place... Version 2.0 will likely be the one to really grab the non-hardcore apple fans...

JoeE SP9
02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Some POS broke into my car last weekend and stole my iPod, Radar Detector, Cologne, 3 packs of smokes, and other items I'm not aware of yet. I was furious about my smokes, and was really glad the Fu*ker didn't bust my window.

It looks really cool though. No doubt about that.

I'm a smoker. So, I sympathize with you. Besides, the damn things cost so much nowadays it's probably cheaper to smoke "dope".

BallinWithNash
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
No, given it has a non-mulititasking operating system, is really just an oversized iPod Touch.
Wrong this is going to be the new beginning for tablet devices ... With the new powerful processor you can draft, edit, and publish spreadsheets, word docs, and presentations on the fly. Imagine having this on job sites for pool company's, landscapers etc... Especially with the app store this can be a very versatile tool because you can use this with one hand, you can't use a laptop with one hand. Not to mention with the larger screen you have your portable DVD player, gaming system, music, book library, photo's, word doc's etc.. with you. There is no need to take your laptop, ipod, DVD player, and kindle with you, now you can just take the iPad and new companies and apple will make more powerful processors. Like I said this is the new beginning, soon we will all have a tablet device and the laptop will just be our base station.

MikeyBC
04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
For my needs i'd rather keep my ipod touch...until my eyes start to go. Besides...its too big, might as well carry a small laptop instead.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Bam! This is why I could care less for this version of it. Give me multitasking, and I am sold.

Woochifer
04-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Bam! This is why I could care less for this version of it. Give me multitasking, and I am sold.

The iPhone OS is only missing multitasking of third party apps, and every rumor points to Apple introducing some form of multitasking with the next OS release. And once the iPhone OS is updated, then the iPad also gets updated. Currently, you can multitask with any of the built-in Apple apps running.

Personally, I see the iPad as the missing link in bringing the internet into the living room, and serving as the de facto integration device that has eluded every other home theater manufacturer. Maybe not in its current incarnation, but I can easily see someone like Logitech or Home Theater Master releasing a control app that turns the iPad into a tablet sized remote.

To me, that would be a tool that finally understands just how consumers interact with the devices in their living room. It's not technology, but simple ergonomics that have kept integration and media center devices from taking hold in the market. All of the current approaches that have been marketed have gotten it wrong, because they try to make the TV a primary web browsing medium. People interact with the internet while sitting close to the screen, but they watch TV at a distance from the comfort of their sofa/chair. Some other bloggers have speculated that smartphones would serve this integration role, but I don't think they're well suited because of their small screens.

An iPad remote app would allow consumers to control their home theater while simultaneously accessing web and other multimedia content. The form factor and touch interface of the iPad would be ideal for finally integrating the TV contol with the internet. The iPad would be the closeup conduit for internet content, and if the TV is also networked, someone could also create a form of screen sharing where the iPad would serve content directly to the TV.

Wireless HDMI could potentially be deployed for this kind of video interactivity, and the HDMI spec also includes a remote control function where one device could also control other attached HDMI devices. Lots of possibilities and the iPad has only been out there for a few days.

E-Stat
04-06-2010, 06:14 AM
All of the current approaches that have been marketed have gotten it wrong, because they try to make the TV a primary web browsing medium.
Exactly! Why limit viewing, listening and browsing choices for everyone to a single device? While movie watching or listening can be a group activity, browsing the internet is not.

rw

Ajani
04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
The iPhone OS is only missing multitasking of third party apps, and every rumor points to Apple introducing some form of multitasking with the next OS release. And once the iPhone OS is updated, then the iPad also gets updated. Currently, you can multitask with any of the built-in Apple apps running.

Personally, I see the iPad as the missing link in bringing the internet into the living room, and serving as the de facto integration device that has eluded every other home theater manufacturer. Maybe not in its current incarnation, but I can easily see someone like Logitech or Home Theater Master releasing a control app that turns the iPad into a tablet sized remote.

To me, that would be a tool that finally understands just how consumers interact with the devices in their living room. It's not technology, but simple ergonomics that have kept integration and media center devices from taking hold in the market. All of the current approaches that have been marketed have gotten it wrong, because they try to make the TV a primary web browsing medium. People interact with the internet while sitting close to the screen, but they watch TV at a distance from the comfort of their sofa/chair. Some other bloggers have speculated that smartphones would serve this integration role, but I don't think they're well suited because of their small screens.

An iPad remote app would allow consumers to control their home theater while simultaneously accessing web and other multimedia content. The form factor and touch interface of the iPad would be ideal for finally integrating the TV contol with the internet. The iPad would be the closeup conduit for internet content, and if the TV is also networked, someone could also create a form of screen sharing where the iPad would serve content directly to the TV.

Wireless HDMI could potentially be deployed for this kind of video interactivity, and the HDMI spec also includes a remote control function where one device could also control other attached HDMI devices. Lots of possibilities and the iPad has only been out there for a few days.

Well said Wooch! That's exactly what I'd use the iPad for... to browse the net and control my squeezebox from my listening position... Using a laptop for that purpose is nowhere near as convenient.... The iPad is almost the pefect living room computer for my purposes....

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-06-2010, 08:21 AM
I completely understand the usefulness of the ipad, but there are some basic requirements any product that is going to replace my laptop must have. The ability to do more than one thing at a time.

So when Apple(or a developer)finds a way to make the ipad a multitasker, I will get several of them. I would get it as a controller for my home theater, or use as a calibration display tool to set them up. I could think of many uses for it, that is for sure.

I'll wait until they get the bugs out of the product, and it becomes a little more of a whole product. Its WiFi seems to have a stability problem, people are confused about its charging, iphone appts crashing when loaded to the ipad, typing on it seems to be a problem for some, sync'ing issues...I'll wait until they get these things figured out.

Woochifer
04-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I completely understand the usefulness of the ipad, but there are some basic requirements any product that is going to replace my laptop must have. The ability to do more than one thing at a time.

So when Apple(or a developer)finds a way to make the ipad a multitasker, I will get several of them. I would get it as a controller for my home theater, or use as a calibration display tool to set them up. I could think of many uses for it, that is for sure.

Done.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/08/apple_iphone_os_4_0_to_introduce_multitasking_100_ other_features.html

I don't see the iPad as a laptop replacement, but more as a "tweener" device. Although it can create content, that's not the primary function. And I think that's the main difference between the iPad and a regular laptop. It's optimized around consumption of content in a new form factor.

Although tablet PCs have been around for more than a decade, the interface has always been nothing more than an abstraction of a desktop PC. This is more like the opening shot for a new class of devices that's not just ported over from a keyboard/mouse interface.

The reviews have gone all over the place, with the most negative ones coming from the usual tech press hacks who simply line up feature check lists and spec sheets (many of whom wrote their "reviews" without actually using an iPad!). The positive reviews generally indicate that you have to actually use an iPad to appreciate not only what it does, but how it does things.

I'll wait until they get the bugs out of the product, and it becomes a little more of a whole product. Its WiFi seems to have a stability problem, people are confused about its charging, iphone appts crashing when loaded to the ipad, typing on it seems to be a problem for some, sync'ing issues...I'll wait until they get these things figured out.

Definitely has some bugs to iron out. But, the iPhone OS 4.0 revision is coming to the iPad this fall, and presumably Apple will have interim updates that solve some of the early issues in the meantime. Recall that the iPhone also had some early problems that were resolved with software updates, and the utility of the product dramatically increased with the iPhone OS 2.0 release and App Store.