Speaker Search List [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Search List

manlystanley
01-28-2010, 04:43 AM
I appreciate all the help that you all have give to me in my quest for musical nirvana. As I try out different speakers, I am finding out the following about my personal tastes:

-- I need to listen to a speaker for days in my own listening room with my own equipment to determine if I like it or not.

-- Frenchy sent me a really insightful private mail giving me some concrete suggestions as how to proceed in my audio quest. That triggered me to think and to finally come to the conclusion that I don't really know what my personal tastes are. I know that I like things like:

-- Lots of bass, not bright treble, good imaging and tend to lean to the 'warm side of things'. But, I tend to not have a real defined sense of what I really like. this then allows to to like something one day and then think it's just so-so the next.

-- Because it takes me so long to make up my mind, my upgrade strategy is to: buy used at a really good price, then if I need to I can resell.

So, I've done a litle bit of research (based on your all feedback) and my plan is to look for used speakers on Audiogon or CL. I'd like to have speakers that are:

-- no more then 3 years old, floor standing, and with: good bass, good imaging, not to bright of treble.
-- Price range is around: $1,000 - $2,500.
-- From a major manufacture that would allow me to have a name draw if I need to resell.

So, the ones I'm looking at are (and I'd appreciate you commenting/adding to this list) are:

Paradigm: Signature, Studio series.
PSB: Synchrony (one and two), Imagine T.
Monitor Audio: RX8, GS60
Era: D10, D14
Sonist: Concerto 3, Recital 3

Any feedback or suggestions is most appreciated.

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
01-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Paradigm and Monitor Audio will never be described as warm by any one who has actually heard them. Not that they are bad by no means, just not "warm".

The Sonas Faber would be your best bet from feedback of others. I haven't heard them.

You might consider Dynaudio Focus or Contour series. I wouldn't call them warm either but I do consider them as neutral as it gets and they will sound warmer with warm electronics. I have heard Dyn through many of amps and genres of music and they do all well. If the amp is up to it the Dyn's have excellent bass response.

harley .guy07
01-28-2010, 08:48 AM
I think this is the second time that Paradigm and Monitor Audio has been put in this warm category which is not the case. They are both great speakers and different models from both companies sound good and are much sought after and I even own Monitor 7's but I have extensively modified mine so they have the midrange that I love the monitor 7 for without the bright ass tweeters that kill their sound. I have said this before that from me being a shop manager and a speaker repair tech for the same company that I think you need to look in the Dynaudio,Usher, or something that uses Scan Speak drivers direction because like I have said before typically soft dome tweeters and paper cone hybrids or well made poly/mica or blended poly like the dyanudio's are going to have detail but also has the warmth that you are looking for. I know this is a driver stereotype and is not always the case but I have done extensive research in drivers and in my opinion a well built soft dome tweeter will give you good detail while remaining smooth enough to listen to for hours without fatigue. I am just saying this because I think you are looking at speaker brands that a lot of people have on this site and missing some of the non fatiguing offerings from some of the other companies that might be right what you are looking for. I know I would not be still listening to my Paradigm's if I would not have taken the time and had the experience to modify them to vastly improve them. But as well most people do not know how to do this properly and would most likely make things worse instead of better.

RGA
01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't think it will take you days when you come across the right speakers - it can take a a single track or a few piano bars to know if something is on the right track and "has it" or not.

You like a speaker with bass and not a bright treble - In my opinion those are two things that are critically important for long term enjoyment. I'd start by avoiding loudspeakers with metal tweeters in general - there are exceptions but to get away from bright edgy treble metal tweeters in the sub $4k price range I'd be avoiding.

Start with designs that have been selling for 20+ years. Not all are great but chances are that if it has been selling for long periods there is some reason. Harbeth, Audio Note, Quad (pricey), Tannoy. I don't mean companies that have been around for 20+ years I mean specific model numbers. My speakers have been selling for over 25 years for example - Tannoy Prestige line speakers have pretty much been selling for 40-60 years, Harbeth has been selling very similar models - of course they all have some tweaks here or there to make them better but they're proven.

I would not actually buy an overly warm speaker - they can end up sounding a little "blah" after awhile.

Speakers that are similar to the golden rule box - The Trenner and Fieldl, Harbeth, Audio Notes have a similar sound in some respects - non fatiguing but open treble band - lossy cabinets to get away from the "audibility" of the box getting in the way, outstanding bass depth and weight, and easy to drive for future tube amps. The Trenner and Fiedl's RA Box is one of the best loudspeakers I have ever had the fortune to audition http://www.trenner-friedl.com/index2.php?menu=ra&sprache=en unfortunately they sell for $25,000.
Audio Note E http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/506an/index5.html
Harbeth M40.1 but it costs a lot more than the AN E - the same reviewer reviewed both and made comparisons http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1008har/index.html

Also Check out Acoustic Zen - you get your ribbon tweeter and nice deep bass and nice looks and can be run off of tubes. I liked them a lot at CES driven by Tri amplification - bit pricey but maybe check out their lower models as they may have a house sound with a little less bass response - but most everything with a dynamic woofer will have more bass than the 1.6. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue46/crescendo.htm These are $14k but the lower priced Adagio floorstander is around $4,500 so if it sounds anywhere near as good then it could be everything you desire.

Nice ribbon tweeter, transmission line for deeper bass, and horn loaded to retain ease of drive http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue31/adagio.htm

poppachubby
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Stan, I think you'd be better to have a speaker that can output a warm amp or source, rather than a warm speaker. This will also leave you with a bit of room to play. Something neutral would probably be best.

Anyhow, I've heard the PSB Imagine and they kick. I've also heard a few different models of Tannoy, none of which I can specify, but not one sounded bad. Tannoy is a fantastic brand that holds resale well.

There are alot of choices. You can ask for suggestions but this might just make matters worse. Start with your list, and go from there.

manlystanley
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
You might consider Dynaudio Focus or Contour series. I wouldn't call them warm either but I do consider them as neutral as it gets and they will sound warmer with warm electronics. I have heard Dyn through many of amps and genres of music and they do all well. If the amp is up to it the Dyn's have excellent bass response.

Here is a review of the Dynaudio Contour series:
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/Dynaudio/Contour-S3.4/speakers/130898.html

One of the comments of the review was: "So my conclusion is that the S3.4 like detailed and powerful amps. Those that sound a bit too bright with B&W's might be just right for the new Dynaudio Contour.". That sounds like my setup exactly.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll remember it this time: Dynaudio and Sonus Faber. Both of these speakers I like what I've read and I like the looks as well.

Best Regards,
Stan

Feanor
01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
The Sonas Faber would be your best bet from feedback of others. I haven't heard them.
I have ... the Cermona Monitor M's. I'd say they are dubious value, new, for north of $6k with stands.

IMO, my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's trashed them in every department. But, hey, maybe I'm biased to planars.

harley .guy07
01-28-2010, 01:00 PM
It sounds like everything being said makes sense and you need to evaluate what type of sound you want. I went down that path a few years ago and tried and tried to find out why certain music or songs were bright sounding and some songs or albums I did not like but I found out it was brightness and fatigue that killed my like for some music and songs and not the songs themselves. My Paradigms were just to bright and fatiguing to listen to certain types of music or songs and it took me to use my ability to understand drivers and crossover design to basically rebuild my speakers and keep the good parts of them, ditch the rest and make a speaker out of them that I now enjoy. I listen to music and songs that I could not even try to before and enjoy the hell out of it. RGA is right about the metal tweeter thing in my opinion. Stay away from them, unless they are very expensive designs that the company engineered the natural brightness out of them but those units that I have seen are in speakers of very high price and I would still be standoffish of them. I have been around speaker drivers for a long time and textile or soft dome tweeters made of silk or fabric if designed well are much better at bringing out the natural details of music without the bright overtones of metal. Even cymbals of drums which are made of metal seem to have a better presence on soft dome tweeters. I would keep that in mind when looking for speakers and like me the first time you hear a good soft dome tweeter in a well built speaker matted with a good midbass driver and excellent crossover design you will know exactly what we are all talking about. And you might even find peace in your search for speakers that love and can live with and listen to for hours on end.

Ajani
01-28-2010, 01:17 PM
I think the best option is to go for neutral speakers... Too bright may irritate your ears in longer listening sessions and too warm (dull?) may put you to sleep and end up being an equal waste of money...

My choice in this price range would be Revel Performa F32 or M22....

koven
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I think there's a lot of good advice in here already... I actually went through/am going through a similar process.... just like you, I like "warm" speakers. I sold my B&W 805's because the metal tweeter bothered me after extended listening. It was also lacking a bit in the low end. Thus, like someone mentioned already, stay away from metal tweeters. I also agree w/ the fact that Paradigms and Monitor Audios are "brighter" sounding speakers, I would stay away from those.

If you want something that's really really (maybe even too much) warm, I would recommend Joseph Audio, although they don't pop up too often on the Audiogon market.

If you want something safe w/ good resell value, I would also recommend Sonus Faber.. and also Proac's.

** HOWEVER **
If you want to take a chance, I would HIGHLY recommend the Fritz Carbon 7's. You should give Fritz a call and explain your situation. I'm sure he'd be willing to ship a demo pair out to you. Judging by your preferences, I have a feeling you will absolutely fall in love w/ the Carbon 7's. Just for the record, so far I've tried in my room: Usher X-719, Totem Forest, B&W N805, Proac Response 1.5, Joseph Audio RM7si, and in the past I've also had Paradigm Studio 20's, B&W 685's, and Energy RC30's. Anyway, my point is, I honestly think the Carbon 7's blow ALL of them away with the exception of the Proac Response 1.5's. And the cherry on top? They're only $1750 brand new, yet I prefer them over some $3000+ speakers. It really blows my mind but I feel like I've found a hidden gem. Furthermore, the Scan-Speak drivers he uses in the Carbon 7's are highly praised and widely reviewed, they are also fairly easy to drive and not picky about electronics. Those drivers can even be found on much much more expensive speakers like Wilsons, Vienna Acoustics, Proac, etc.

Anyway, this is starting to sound too much like a sales pitch but I hope you don't take my excitement that way - I have no affiliation to Fritz. I just really wish more people could hear these speakers because they're missing out!

Also, again, this isn't just a blanket recommendation, I honestly think your preferences are similar to mine and that the Carbon 7's will blow your mind, especially at that price.

Here's the website: http://fritzspeakers.com/ --- his contact info is at the bottom. Do yourself a favor and give it a shot, you got nothing to lose! He's an extremely friendly person to chat w/ also, no high pressure sales pitch, just loves to talk speakers. Honestly I was skeptical at first, but I'm so glad I took the risk.

blackraven
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
My vote for used speakers would be Thiels, PSB's, Dyn Audio.

I would also consider changing to a warmer sound amp, preamp, DAC or CDP.
A PS Audio Digilink III DAC has a warmer sound and are easily obtained on the used market. A Marantz SA-8001/8003 will warm things up. A used tube preamp is another way to go. I would certainly see if you could audition a piece in home to see if it improves the sound of your speakers. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

There is a used Van Alstine Tube DAC on A.gon for $650.

koven
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Good call on Thiels IMO, I totally forgot about them. When I listened to the Magnepans at a local dealer, I also did a quick A/B of Thiel 1.6 and Revel F52.. there was no doubt the Thiel's sounded warmer (and better to me). Actually, now that I think about it, I might go back and try to bring home the Thiel's to demo, I left them w/ a very positive impression. Not so much for the F52's though, they seemed a bit dull sounding and even on the bright side.

manlystanley
01-29-2010, 04:27 AM
I think this is the second time that Paradigm and Monitor Audio has been put in this warm category which is not the case. [snip]

Yep, my brain was stuck on these two being warm. Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-29-2010, 04:28 AM
I think the best option is to go for neutral speakers... Too bright may irritate your ears in longer listening sessions and too warm (dull?) may put you to sleep and end up being an equal waste of money...

My choice in this price range would be Revel Performa F32 or M22....

Good point, that was a concern of mine as well.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-29-2010, 04:30 AM
[QUOTE=koven
If you want to take a chance, I would HIGHLY recommend the Fritz Carbon 7's. [/QUOTE]

I checked his web site. I'll think about it.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-29-2010, 04:36 AM
My vote for used speakers would be Thiels, PSB's, Dyn Audio.

Hello BR,
I'll put them on my short list.

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks you all very much. Here is my list, in no particular order:

-- PSB
-- Thiel
-- Dynaudio
-- Fritz Carbon 7's
-- Joseph Audio
-- Sonus Faber
-- Revel Performa F32
-- Acoustic Zen
-- Trenner and Fieldl
-- Harbeth
-- Audio Notes
-- Audio Note E
-- Usher
-- something that uses Scan Speak drivers

On Monday, I leave on a two week business trip to the sun and fun capital of the world (E.g. Oklahoma City). I'll have a lot of time to do research. Having this list of speakers (most of which I never heard of before) allows me to broaden my horizons. This will be fun. Thanks so much for your help!

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
01-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Stan, although I'm not a big B&W fan, Blackraven may have a point about trying a different front end. All of the Denon CD players I've heard have been.... bright for lack of a better description. I would find them fatiguing when listening. You could try adding a DAC and just use the Denon's digital output. I can't stand an overly warm or slow source either. I try to find players that have a natural sound to me. I thoroughly enjoyed my Audio Note DAC. I still have it, just not in my main system. The NAD Master series SACD player has a very good sound. I guess maybe it's warm, I'd say more of a dark sound but I really liked it. You can find those around on special for $1k. You still may end up wanting new speakers but if that 3930 is your source I'd certainly address that before spending a lot of money on new speakers. I've also always found Arcam CD players very good. They tend to be detailed and dynamic.

mlsstl
01-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Just curious, what's the deal about "no more than three years old"?

Seems a rather curious and arbitrary cutoff to me, especially given some of the legendary speakers from many years ago that still have people clamoring for them.

koven
01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks you all very much. Here is my list, in no particular order:

-- PSB
-- Thiel
-- Dynaudio
-- Fritz Carbon 7's
-- Joseph Audio
-- Sonus Faber
-- Revel Performa F32
-- Acoustic Zen
-- Trenner and Fieldl
-- Harbeth
-- Audio Notes
-- Audio Note E
-- Usher
-- something that uses Scan Speak drivers

On Monday, I leave on a two week business trip to the sun and fun capital of the world (E.g. Oklahoma City). I'll have a lot of time to do research. Having this list of speakers (most of which I never heard of before) allows me to broaden my horizons. This will be fun. Thanks so much for your help!

Best Regards,
Stan

Just an FYI since I saw the bold, but the Fritz Carbon 7's use top of the line scan speaks w/ series crossover. Also, I wouldn't bother with Revel if you're looking for warm.

blackraven
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Have fun in Sooner land Stan. I can't think of a more miserable place to live. There was nothing to do there back then but drink and have sex, come to think about it, maybe it wasn't such a bad place after all.:) I spent 2 months in OKC in my training and almost took a job there. My college girlfriend was from there and my wife is from Tulsa. I went to school at Okie State in Stillwater and lived in OK for 13years.

Mr Peabody
01-29-2010, 08:06 PM
AR, a place where even squares can have a ball :)

eisforelectronic
01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
How about Audio Physic?

http://www.audiophysic.de/index_e.html

manlystanley
01-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Stan, although I'm not a big B&W fan, Blackraven may have a point about trying a different front end. All of the Denon CD players I've heard have been.... bright for lack of a better description. I would find them fatiguing when listening. You could try adding a DAC and just use the Denon's digital output. I can't stand an overly warm or slow source either. I try to find players that have a natural sound to me. I thoroughly enjoyed my Audio Note DAC. I still have it, just not in my main system. The NAD Master series SACD player has a very good sound. I guess maybe it's warm, I'd say more of a dark sound but I really liked it. You can find those around on special for $1k. You still may end up wanting new speakers but if that 3930 is your source I'd certainly address that before spending a lot of money on new speakers. I've also always found Arcam CD players very good. They tend to be detailed and dynamic.

That's the joy of hanging around you guys, I learn so much. When I finish fixing the Magnepan's I'll do a series listen to both my CD player vs. my turn table. Should a turn table naturally sound warmer?

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Have fun in Sooner land Stan. I can't think of a more miserable place to live. There was nothing to do there back then but drink and have sex, come to think about it, maybe it wasn't such a bad place after all.:) I spent 2 months in OKC in my training and almost took a job there. My college girlfriend was from there and my wife is from Tulsa. I went to school at Okie State in Stillwater and lived in OK for 13years.

Ahhh..... A fellow sophisticated readneck?? I'm planning on getting me multiple hunks of dead meat (e.g. Steak and Prime Rib). My wife keeps me healthy by cooking lots of whole grain rice and vegitables. It's my duty to make up for lost time with lots of red meat.....

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
01-30-2010, 04:34 AM
How about Audio Physic?

http://www.audiophysic.de/index_e.html

I'll chek it out, thanks.

manlystanley
01-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Just curious, what's the deal about "no more than three years old"?

Seems a rather curious and arbitrary cutoff to me, especially given some of the legendary speakers from many years ago that still have people clamoring for them.

It is arbitrary. I just didn't want to spend thousands of dollars on a speaker that would shortly develop problems (like my Maggies did).

mlsstl
01-30-2010, 05:42 AM
It is arbitrary. I just didn't want to spend thousands of dollars on a speaker that would shortly develop problems (like my Maggies did).

Sorry if I missed that post, but what problems did you have with the Maggies? I had a pair of 1.6QRs for a number of years with zero problems. The speaker I had before that - a set of tri-amped TL KEFs - ran for over 20 years before I changed (and not because they failed.) Here, 30 years later, I'm using the small mid/tweeter boxes as an LS3/5a clone for my desktop system.

There is nothing insulating about three years if a speaker has a manufacturing defect. The other big cause of speaker failure is abuse. Once again, that is a completely separate issue from age

The only two specific age related issues are drivers with foam surrounds and capacitors. You're looking at 20 plus years for those to set in and both are quite fixable. And, many speakers do not use foam surrounds so don't even face that issue.

manlystanley
02-03-2010, 01:17 AM
So, I've spent a lot of time reading various reviews and trying to find local shops that had speakers that I could listen to that are on the list of speakers that you guys were kind enough to help me with. What I'm leaning to is the PSB Synchrony One Speakers. The only problem is that used they seem to run about $2,800 - $3,000. I'll keep on looking and see what happens.

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
02-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Was any one carrying Dynaudio?

TheHills44060
02-03-2010, 06:40 AM
So, I've spent a lot of time reading various reviews and trying to find local shops that had speakers that I could listen to that are on the list of speakers that you guys were kind enough to help me with. What I'm leaning to is the PSB Synchrony One Speakers. The only problem is that used they seem to run about $2,800 - $3,000. I'll keep on looking and see what happens.

Best Regards,
Stan
I really like the Synchrony one series, i even like the Imagine series too. I'd have to hear them side by side though to see which i thought was the better value.

manlystanley
02-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Was any one carrying Dynaudio?

Hello Mr. P,
There was none that I could find locally. The dynaudio speakers that most interested me was the Contour 3.4 and Focus 360. These seemed to be in my used price range, but are very seldom on the market. I'm looking for an opportunity to test them, but so far no luck.

Of the Focus and Contour lines, which ones do you recommend?? I see that you own a Contour, correct?

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
The Contour I have are discontinued. It seems Dynaudio took the Contour up in price and basically slid the Focus in their place. I would be going crazy trying to choose between those two. The Focus is a very impressive series. They do have a slightly different sound than the older Contour. The Focus is a bit more polite and some darker. The newer Contour I haven't spent as much time with . I remember thinking though I like the older Contour sound better. The newer Dyn's are still dynamic they just seem to have a more smooth sound. The Confidence series are the ones to dazzle you. They're more like what the old Contour sounded like. They can play aggressive when needed without being offensive. I will tell you though I have a thing for the 110's. I know they are the Focus entry level and just a bookshelf but they are incredible. Maybe the room they have them in is just right or something but I can just sit and listen to those on end. I forgot what Ajani heard them with but he says he didn't care for them. I personally think it was a bad set up or something.

I know where there is a pair of Focus 220 for $2600.00 not broken in yet. The dealer sold them and the guy brought them back and traded up within two weeks. Not that the 220's were bad, he really wanted the 360's and just didn't do what he wanted in the first place. I think 220 is the model, the set that sells for around $3500.00 new?

Ajani
02-04-2010, 06:58 PM
The Contour I have are discontinued. It seems Dynaudio took the Contour up in price and basically slid the Focus in their place. I would be going crazy trying to choose between those two. The Focus is a very impressive series. They do have a slightly different sound than the older Contour. The Focus is a bit more polite and some darker. The newer Contour I haven't spent as much time with . I remember thinking though I like the older Contour sound better. The newer Dyn's are still dynamic they just seem to have a more smooth sound. The Confidence series are the ones to dazzle you. They're more like what the old Contour sounded like. They can play aggressive when needed without being offensive. I will tell you though I have a thing for the 110's. I know they are the Focus entry level and just a bookshelf but they are incredible. Maybe the room they have them in is just right or something but I can just sit and listen to those on end. I forgot what Ajani heard them with but he says he didn't care for them. I personally think it was a bad set up or something.

I know where there is a pair of Focus 220 for $2600.00 not broken in yet. The dealer sold them and the guy brought them back and traded up within two weeks. Not that the 220's were bad, he really wanted the 360's and just didn't do what he wanted in the first place. I think 220 is the model, the set that sells for around $3500.00 new?

Actually my findings of the Focus 110/140/220 are similar to yours (just a different conclusion)... I thought they were too smooth and polite.... Heard them on Arcam/Rotel Gear...

Unfortunately for the Focus, I was comparing them directly against B&W CM1s and 805S which are exciting (and bright) speakers... So the Dyns just seemed subdued by comparison...

However, if I actually had to choose between the CM/805 and Focus for longterm listening sessions, I'd choose the Focus... I found the B&Ws sound irritating in long sessions (mighty impressive short term though)....

Mr Peabody
02-04-2010, 07:25 PM
I've heard the Focus on several amps but Arcam probably the most. So that's cool we have a common reference Hopefully an Arcam CDP as well.

manlystanley
02-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Got back home and found 3+ feet of snow... Wow, I'm not as young as I used to be. Anyways, the short list of speakers are:

Dynaudio 3.4s (Used) $3500 (These are two months old, new $6,500)
Dynaudio 220 mk-ii (Used) $2600 (New they are $3600)
PSB Syncrony (Used) $3,000 (New: $5,000)

I'm leaning towards the 3.4s. What are your guys thoughts. Is the 220 Mk-ii a safer (warm) bet??

Thanks,
Stan

manlystanley
02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Can someone help me understand the dynaudio pricing. When I look at the bluebook I see:

Contour 3.4:
-- Introduced 2003
-- New List: $5000.00
-- Used avg: $3670.00

Focus 220 Mk II: released 2009
-- New List: $3500.00
-- Used avg: $2050.00

So, a couple of questions, I take it that the 3.4's have increased in price by 30% in 7 years? Or is this a different 3.4?

Thanks,
Stan

frenchmon
02-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Hey Manlystanly....You need to put some Canton speakers on your list. For the money you are willing to spend, I'd see If I could audition some Canton Vento Reference or someCanton Ergo speakers. I think you would be surprised at what they can do. They have a real life-like sound with great musical dispersion. You may be able to find a dealer in you metropolitan area, or a dealer on line who is willing to let you listen.

frenchmon

manlystanley
02-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Hello Frenchy,
I listened to Cantons a while back, I personally didn't care for them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
02-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes, Dynaudio's prices have gone up over 7 years as everything inflates over time. I'm not sure if the increase is as much as 30% though.

The 3.4 sounds like the best deal, not even broke in and there would be improvement in refinement over the 220 but $1k worth is a hard call. I think you'd be happy with the 220's if wanting to save. Just a few weeks ago I heard a pair of 220's driven by a T+A system and they were quite impressive.

frenchmon
02-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Hello Frenchy,
I listened to Cantons a while back, I personally didn't care for them. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Best Regards,
Stan

Sorry to hear that...what modle did you listen to? I love my Cantons. What did you not like?

frenchmon

manlystanley
02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Sorry to hear that...what modle did you listen to? I love my Cantons. What did you not like?
frenchmon

I don't know what model it was. But, I was at a local stereo shop listening to some B&W's and they had Canton's as well. The imaging was very poor and the sound didn't appeal to me. Maybe it was a lower model??

Best Regards,
Stan

frenchmon
02-17-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't know what model it was. But, I was at a local stereo shop listening to some B&W's and they had Canton's as well. The imaging was very poor and the sound didn't appeal to me. Maybe it was a lower model??

Best Regards,
Stan

Wow...that does not sound like Canton. The imagining is one of their strong points. Canton even recommends that you don't toe them in. They usually have a very wide sound stage with great imagining. They disperse the music very well...better than most speakers. they have a great mid range. I betcha it was more on the set up and placement of the speaker more than the speaker it self. Theres a local shop here in St. Louis that does a very poor job of setting up its speakers as well. Sorry you had a bad experience with them because they real are a very good speaker with a great wide sound stage if set up correctly.

frenchmon

RGA
02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I'd also add Acoustic Zen to your list. I heard the bigger brother of the Adagio but used you might be able to get them http://www.acousticzen.com/adagio.html

The adagio's new list price is $4300 - but they also don't have the name brand weight (YET) for as easy resale.

couple of reviews
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticzen/adagio.html
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue31/adagio_az.htm

manlystanley
02-18-2010, 04:09 AM
I'd also add Acoustic Zen to your list. I heard the bigger brother of the Adagio but used you might be able to get them http://www.acousticzen.com/adagio.html

The adagio's new list price is $4300 - but they also don't have the name brand weight (YET) for as easy resale.

couple of reviews
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticzen/adagio.html
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue31/adagio_az.htm

Hello RGA,
Interesting. There is a V1 and then a V2 version? What would the re-sale value of them be? I see them for sale around:

-- V2 (used): $2,300
-- V1 (Used): $1,800

Is there a big difference between the V1 and V2??

Thanks,
Stan

RGA
02-18-2010, 07:15 AM
The only one I've hears is the latest Crescendo at $14k. I am not sure about v1 or v2. You could send them an e-mail or ask the reviewers at those magazines which one they reviewed. A v1 and v2 could be cosmetic changes or rather big audible changes - sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

blackraven
02-18-2010, 07:34 AM
My vote are the PSB Synchony's. I believe they are a stereophile class A recommended speaker for what thats worth. My good friend has them and they have this luscious warm sound with excellent tight, deep bass , detail and clarity. Every time I'm over at his house I am astounded by the sound. I think that they would mate well with your Emotiva amp. He's using a Belles Hot Rod 125wpc amp with an older Acoustic Research hyrid preamp and a Marantz SA8001 cdp.

manlystanley
02-18-2010, 03:24 PM
The only one I've hears is the latest Crescendo at $14k. I am not sure about v1 or v2. You could send them an e-mail or ask the reviewers at those magazines which one they reviewed. A v1 and v2 could be cosmetic changes or rather big audible changes - sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

Bummer. Feel into a deal where I could get a brand new Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers (MSRP $4300) for $2300--direct for the company. Hard to explain how I wound up there. But, the reviews all say: phenomenal speaker, but a little to bright. Which will not work for me....... Double bummer.

Best Regards,
Stan

frenchmon
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Bummer. Feel into a deal where I could get a brand new Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers (MSRP $4300) for $2300--direct for the company. Hard to explain how I wound up there. But, the reviews all say: phenomenal speaker, but a little to bright. Which will not work for me....... Double bummer.

Best Regards,
Stan
Stan have you heard the Acoustic Zen? Dont let some ones opinion of "bright" run you off unless you are not able to hear the speaker with your own ears.

frenchmon

RGA
02-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah they very well may be a little bright. I'm not a huge fan of ribbons because for me that generally have a fatiguing quality to them. I have usually liked the ribbon matched to a dynamic driver even less - the Crescendo and the Sonist have been the only exceptions but both were being run with SET amplfiers which don't possess the brittle two dimensional artificial sound of SS - which the ribbons would pass on to your ears more-so perhaps.

You could look into Audio Note kits or used AN J (my speaker) or several Harbeth speakers - but both are standmounts but make standmounts with more bass than most floorstanders for the same price - so it depends on your reasoning for the floorstander which is why I suggested floorstanders. If it is an issue of bass then add them - if it is an issue of looks then of course don't.

The price range is tough to get real good speakers - and brightness is caused by a few things - for me it is poor crossover, room related, and driver characteristic. Every driver material has a certain sonic way about creating its frequency range. The way a soft dome silk done paper metal etc sound different - and two very unlike drivers in a two way corssover sound from woofer to tweeter - if the crossover is poor you hear the gap which draws your ear possibly to the treble and it will be bright. Subtle is a decent crossover but a metal tweeter to a paper woofer - that over time can cause fatigue. One drivers (either lowther or panels) generally don't cut the mustard at either frequency extreme nor do they have the balls to do justice to any amplified music, synthesizer, drums, organs, piano, and often lack dynamics. There are some exceptions.

If you have the space the KingSound Prince II is a $6,000 brand new price panel - IMO it is the best value to sound of any panel I have ever heard. But they're a small company and finding used ones will be tough. Plus they're real big which may pose problems.

My AN J is difficult to beat at $5k new - and you will have no problem with brightness. They are very big standmounts.

A floorstander that often goes under the radar are the Tannoy Prestige line - these sound absolutely beautiful, I was particularly impressed by the Kensington SE II but it goes for $8k - so whether it would drop to $2.5k might be tough but like the AN's they have a very nice timbre and tone presentation are also easy to drive opening up your future amp choices and sound coherent and natural.

A tougher to drive but non fatiguing elegant sounding speaker maker is Gershamn Acoustics out of Canada and they make some speakers that may hit your budget - the X1/Sub 1 combination is very nice - a poor man's Wilson in looks - but the cabinets look better.

frenchmon
02-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah they very well may be a little bright. I'm not a huge fan of ribbons because for me that generally have a fatiguing quality to them. I have usually liked the ribbon matched to a dynamic driver even less - the Crescendo and the Sonist have been the only exceptions but both were being run with SET amplfiers which don't possess the brittle two dimensional artificial sound of SS - which the ribbons would pass on to your ears more-so perhaps.

You could look into Audio Note kits or used AN J (my speaker) or several Harbeth speakers - but both are standmounts but make standmounts with more bass than most floorstanders for the same price - so it depends on your reasoning for the floorstander which is why I suggested floorstanders. If it is an issue of bass then add them - if it is an issue of looks then of course don't.

The price range is tough to get real good speakers - and brightness is caused by a few things - for me it is poor crossover, room related, and driver characteristic. Every driver material has a certain sonic way about creating its frequency range. The way a soft dome silk done paper metal etc sound different - and two very unlike drivers in a two way corssover sound from woofer to tweeter - if the crossover is poor you hear the gap which draws your ear possibly to the treble and it will be bright. Subtle is a decent crossover but a metal tweeter to a paper woofer - that over time can cause fatigue. One drivers (either lowther or panels) generally don't cut the mustard at either frequency extreme nor do they have the balls to do justice to any amplified music, synthesizer, drums, organs, piano, and often lack dynamics. There are some exceptions.

If you have the space the KingSound Prince II is a $6,000 brand new price panel - IMO it is the best value to sound of any panel I have ever heard. But they're a small company and finding used ones will be tough. Plus they're real big which may pose problems.

My AN J is difficult to beat at $5k new - and you will have no problem with brightness. They are very big standmounts.

A floorstander that often goes under the radar are the Tannoy Prestige line - these sound absolutely beautiful, I was particularly impressed by the Kensington SE II but it goes for $8k - so whether it would drop to $2.5k might be tough but like the AN's they have a very nice timbre and tone presentation are also easy to drive opening up your future amp choices and sound coherent and natural.

A tougher to drive but non fatiguing elegant sounding speaker maker is Gershamn Acoustics out of Canada and they make some speakers that may hit your budget - the X1/Sub 1 combination is very nice - a poor man's Wilson in looks - but the cabinets look better.

Discribe the sound of your AN speakers if you can please.

frechmon

blackraven
02-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Stan, have you considered Thiels? They have a very neutral sound with excellent clarity, air, detail and resolution to go along with a great sound stage.

RGA
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Discribe the sound of your AN speakers if you can please.

frechmon

I reviewed it here http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=124

frenchmon
02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
I reviewed it here http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=124

Thanks RGA

manlystanley
02-24-2010, 05:42 AM
This searching process has been very difficult. I've listened to all kinds of speakers, read tons of articles. So far, I've made offers of: Dynaudio 220's, 360's, Sonus Faber Liuto's, etc. All have been rejected because I just don't want to spend that much.

So I have lined up deals which the sellers that would sell me the following: Acoustic Zen Adagio's (new for $2400), PSB Synchrony One's for (new for $3,500), Dynaudio 360 (used for $4000), and a Sonus Faber Liuto (new for $3,000 plus my Maggies as a trade in). But, in my latest round of listening to: PSB Synchrony's, high end Focals, and Totems I came to the conclusion that to me I just don't have that refined of a taste. Yes, these systems (some MSRP cost $30,000) sound good, but I'm just not ready to spend that kind of money.

So, I started to look at the lower end. And I really like the new Image T6 Tower's:
http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/psb_bstock.htm

So, I'm thinking that I'll order B-stock for $959 and then work back from there. Possibly sell my XPA-2 and so forth to get a higher end "mid-fi" system. We'll see.

But what I like and don't like about each of these speakers:

Acoustic Zen adagio's: Have not heard them, but they are described as being neutral). I love the looks and could get a great deal on them. But, I'm just not sure if they would work in my bight room.

PSB Synchrony One's: These sounded great (with a ton of high end electronics hooked up to them). They seem top heavy and with my five kids in makes me real concerned. Also, I just don't want to pay this kind of money.

Dynaudio 360: Great deal. Great speakers. But again, I don't want to spend an additional $3000 for just the speakers.

Sonus Faber Liuto: I have not heard these. But the reviews that I read in Norway and Germany are incredible. US and UK reviews seem to be more sedate. But, I have a serious lust factor for these: leather, cool looking curved cabinet, great finish, great reviews, etc. The guy selling these is 'non-authorized' and the 'authorized US distributor' has said they will: not fix nor sell parts to any speakers not purchased from an 'authorized dealer'. But the leather, shape and 'lush sound' has got me wanting these real bad......

But the bottom line is this:

-- I'm just not ready to move into true hi-fi.
-- This 'looking' process has turned from being fun to being a real pain. My wife says she needs her husband back.
-- I think I could sell my Maggies (after fixing them) for at least $700. That would mean that the T6's would cost me an additional $260 plus shipping.
-- With the higher end speakers, I'm looking at: 2000 to 4000 additional cost. Then if I don't like them in my room, I have to start buying more stuff to get them to sound right. I could really be looking at lots of money.

-- Then finally, for the past month, I've listened to (in my movie/listening room) my low end Denon receiver and my Klipsch in-wall surround speakers. Anything would be huge improvement.....

Many thanks to all your help, you guys have been great!

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
02-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Stan, have you considered Thiels? They have a very neutral sound with excellent clarity, air, detail and resolution to go along with a great sound stage.

I did. I tend to like bass and, from what I've read, that is not there strong suit. I like this deal on audiogon though: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1271456590&/Thiel-CS1.6-demo-with-warranty

Best Regards,
Stan

Ajani
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
This searching process has been very difficult. I've listened to all kinds of speakers, read tons of articles. So far, I've made offers of: Dynaudio 220's, 360's, Sonus Faber Liuto's, etc. All have been rejected because I just don't want to spend that much.

So I have lined up deals which the sellers that would sell me the following: Acoustic Zen Adagio's (new for $2400), PSB Synchrony One's for (new for $3,500), Dynaudio 360 (used for $4000), and a Sonus Faber Liuto (new for $3,000 plus my Maggies as a trade in). But, in my latest round of listening to: PSB Synchrony's, high end Focals, and Totems I came to the conclusion that to me I just don't have that refined of a taste. Yes, these systems (some MSRP cost $30,000) sound good, but I'm just not ready to spend that kind of money.

So, I started to look at the lower end. And I really like the new Image T6 Tower's:

So, I'm thinking that I'll order B-stock for $959 and then work back from there. Possibly sell my XPA-2 and so forth to get a higher end "mid-fi" system. We'll see.

Acoustic Zen adagio's: Have not heard them, but they are described as being neutral). I love the looks and could get a great deal on them. But, I'm just not sure if they would work in my bight room.

PSB Synchrony One's: These sounded great (with a ton of high end electronics hooked up to them). They seem top heavy and with my five kids in makes me real concerned. Also, I just don't want to pay this kind of money.

Dynaudio 360: Great deal. Great speakers. But again, I don't want to spend an additional $3000 for just the speakers.

Sonus Faber Liuto: I have not heard these. But the reviews that I read in Norway and Germany are incredible. US and UK reviews seem to be more sedate. But, I have a serious lust factor for these: leather, cool looking curved cabinet, great finish, great reviews, etc. The guy selling these is 'non-authorized' and the 'authorized US distributor' has said they will: not fix nor sell parts to any speakers not purchased from an 'authorized dealer'. But the leather, shape and 'lush sound' has got me wanting these real bad......

-- This 'looking' process has turned from being fun to being a real pain. My wife says she needs her husband back.
-- I think I could sell my Maggies (after fixing them) for at least $700. That would mean that the T6's would cost me an additional $260 plus shipping.
-- With the higher end speakers, I'm looking at: 2000 to 4000 additional cost. Then if I don't like them in my room, I have to start buying more stuff to get them to sound right. I could really be looking at lots of money.

-- Then finally, for the past month, I've listened to (in my movie/listening room) my low end Denon receiver and my Klipsch in-wall surround speakers. Anything would be huge improvement.....

Best Regards,
Stan

There's nothing wrong with settling for more affordable gear.... I was planning to upgrade my setup from the end of 2006.... At the time I had a Rotel RC1070 Pre, Rotel RB1080 Power Amp, Marantz CD5001 CD player and Mission V63 Towers.... After enough auditions to make my eyes bleed, I heard only 1 setup that made me really consider upgrading... Despite hearing numerous setups costing up to 5x the price of mine, I wasn't impressed enough to shell out the extra cash... I'd hear improvements in most of those systems, but never enough to be able justify the extra outlay of cash...

That sometimes happens in HiFi... We each have our own point of diminishing returns (which may [or may not] change as our disposable income increases or decreases)...

frenchmon
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM

Best Regards,
Stan

Stan...believe me, once you get the speakers you like, and from what I've read about the PSB speaker line, you will like them.....Then its up to you to build what you like around them.(New or used amp or recievers , CDP good cables, turntable..etc...) Once you do that, tune everything up with isolations and maybe some sound panels. Its not something that we can do in a day (unless got got deep pockets), but it may take a while. But to me that's part of the fun of our hobby....Tweeking your system as you build, and finding the sound you like..and wondering what you can do next to improve your sound. Good luck man and enjoy.

frenchmon

manlystanley
02-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Fortunately, I decided to drive 25 miles and pay $70 more to purchase the PSB T6's. I went in and listened to them. All I can say is ukk.... Why all the great reviews? I recently listened to the Synchrony One's and they are amazing. But the T6's (using a visual analogy) are like a window smeared with Petroleum jelly. They have great imaging, but sound very garbled. Maybe I am more picky then I thought I was.......

The salesmen said they were 'new', maybe that was it. They were driven by a 175 watt NAD and NAP CD player.

I'll need to find a shop were there broken in....

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
02-27-2010, 01:52 AM
So, here's an add that's got a Synchrony for a sale for $3299. It's on Audiogon as a complete speaker set, but read the description. Hmmmmmmm........

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1271552848&/Psb-Synchrony-one-Reference-5-

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
02-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Stan, I'm gone one week and you've converted from Dynaudio to PSB? :) What happened?

Ajani
02-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Fortunately, I decided to drive 25 miles and pay $70 more to purchase the PSB T6's. I went in and listened to them. All I can say is ukk.... Why all the great reviews? I recently listened to the Synchrony One's and they are amazing. But the T6's (using a visual analogy) are like a window smeared with Petroleum jelly. They have great imaging, but sound very garbled. Maybe I am more picky then I thought I was.......

The salesmen said they were 'new', maybe that was it. They were driven by a 175 watt NAD and NAP CD player.

I'll need to find a shop were there broken in....

Best Regards,
Stan

What electronics did you hear the Synchrony on? I was not impressed by any of PSB's previous line, but since I only heard them on NAD gear (which I'm not a fan of), I realize the issue may just have been the electronics that put me off...

So if you heard the Synchrony on something other than NAD, then NAD might be the issue with the T6...

Also have you listened to the alternatives around the T6's price range: Monitor Audio RX6, Revel Concerta F12, Paradigm Monitor/Studio series, etc?

blackraven
02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Stan, when you audition speakers you may want to bring along your emotiva amp and cdp if possible.

blackraven
02-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Stan, also consider these Wharfedale Opus speakers-

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/mainspeakers.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wharfedale/opus23.html

manlystanley
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Stan, I'm gone one week and you've converted from Dynaudio to PSB? :) What happened?

Wow, what would happen if you were gone a month? We'd all be running wild in the boonies??? :-)

Anyways, I don't think that I committed to Dynaudio. However, I really respect your opinion and so you saying that you really liked Dynaudio made me look long and hard at that. But, I've tried to find some really good deals on them and I've not really beaten much from the bushes.

But, I'm still looking and am learning alot about my personal tastes as I progress.

Best Regards,
Stan

frenchmon
02-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah I looked hard and long at the Opus (v2) 1 for months. You cant find a bad consumer review, only that the grill pins to hold the grill on are cheap. All consumers seem to love the speaker. The speakers themselves are a beauty and its the first speaker I've ever seen with a soft dome mid woofer. The speakers are a bit fussy about placement though but once you get them placed just right they deliver. The pro reviews says of its little brother which is a stand monitor that its really a full range speaker with a sloppy bottom end at times. I think I saw that review in What-Hi Fi magazine. But actually, this speaker might be worth auditioning if you can or get a pair from www.Wildwestelectronics.net. Most people who listen to a lots of Jazz and Classical love these speakers, but rock heads seem to love them as well.

frenchmon

manlystanley
03-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah I looked hard and long at the Opus (v2) 1 for months. You cant find a bad consumer review, only that the grill pins to hold the grill on are cheap. All consumers seem to love the speaker. The speakers themselves are a beauty and its the first speaker I've ever seen with a soft dome mid woofer. The speakers are a bit fussy about placement though but once you get them placed just right they deliver. The pro reviews says of its little brother which is a stand monitor that its really a full range speaker with a sloppy bottom end at times. I think I saw that review in What-Hi Fi magazine. But actually, this speaker might be worth auditioning if you can or get a pair from www.Wildwestelectronics.net. Most people who listen to a lots of Jazz and Classical love these speakers, but rock heads seem to love them as well.
frenchmon

Frenchy,
Thanks. I think these Jamo's are keepers. I've listened to them for days and as usual, I started to notice things that I don't like about them. But, there relatively minor things; and most of these problems are solved by better positioning.

For a whiel, I was kind of down on my XPA-2 amp, but with these C809's, the combo really sings. I think there is something odd about my listening room, and getting a setup I like has taken a while. Even my wife has mentioned multiple times that: "These are the best sounding speakers that you've tried so far".

I'm going to try to do a review on this in a few months after I break them in and really work them through there paces.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm another 'happy camper' on audioreview.com.

Best Regards,
Stan

basite
03-28-2010, 04:23 AM

I'm on blackraven with this one...

as a proud Thiel owner (CS2.3's), I wouldn't classify them as "very neutral", they have a slight "warmness" in their sound, not too much, they don't lose detail neither, it's just perfect.

Very very wide and big soundstage, especially when paired to a nice amp, do take note that they like a good amplifier. I use a Mcintosh integrated with them, which is an excellent match, accuphase is another good option, the amplifier must be stable, my Thiels have a big impedance drop to 2.6 ohms, they are 4 ohm nominal...
IMO, they don't need a gazillion watts to run them, but they do need quality watts...

they are marvelous speakers, they were the best investment I made so far in my whole life, but they are not as forgiving as B&W's (for example) when it comes to electronics to drive them...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JoeE SP9
03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
manly, so what are you going to do with the Maggy's you just repaired?

manlystanley
03-28-2010, 02:28 PM
manly, so what are you going to do with the Maggy's you just repaired?

I'll be selling them. Not sure if I'll do Craigslist or Audiogon or Ebay. I just want to get what I paid for them: $900.

Best Regards,
Stan

frenchmon
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Frenchy,
Thanks. I think these Jamo's are keepers. I've listened to them for days and as usual, I started to notice things that I don't like about them. But, there relatively minor things; and most of these problems are solved by better positioning.

For a whiel, I was kind of down on my XPA-2 amp, but with these C809's, the combo really sings. I think there is something odd about my listening room, and getting a setup I like has taken a while. Even my wife has mentioned multiple times that: "These are the best sounding speakers that you've tried so far".

I'm going to try to do a review on this in a few months after I break them in and really work them through there paces.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm another 'happy camper' on audioreview.com.

Best Regards,
Stan

Hey Stan...congrats on the Jamo Speakers...(oh and BTW they are pronounced ya-mo I was told)

I actually got a chance to listened to the C809's, C807's, C805's and the book shelf C803.

There was an car audio dealer down in Raleigh NC that sold Jamo and Mac gear. I remember the C809 and the entire Concert line sounding might fine. They where a balanced speaker with a great bottom end. They where a very detailed speaker and did music right. They where not a bright speaker that would hurt your ears but they where not boring speakers either. I would not say they where a warm speaker. They had passion no matter what music you played. JAMO is one of those speaker companies that's been around a long time and making good speakers at every price point...and they fly under the radar in the states but get praise over seas...sorta like Canton and Mordant Short speaker...they are all great speakers and will sound just as good if not better than the so called named brand speakers sold hear in the states. The speakers I think where in apple cherry or something like that....they where not real wood, but they where a beautiful speaker non the less...I'm sure after you get your JAMO's broken in you will love them even more. So congrats my friend and enjoy your new toys.

frenchmon