NHT or Paradigm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NHT or Paradigm

revlimit
03-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi, I'm new here and would like to ask which is a better buy. I'm on a little budget also.

Paradigm - Blockbuster 70 - $746
Consist of:
Cinema 70 front
Cinema CC center
Cinema 70 rear
PDR-8 sub

NHT - $598
Superone front
Supercenter center
Superzero rear
Phase Technology Power 8 sub

Thanks in advance.

markw
03-30-2004, 07:01 AM
...no matter how much money you save, if you don't like the way it sounds, it wasn't worth it.

Or, to put it simply, we don't count. They are both well established companies that put out good, solid products at a fair price. Which sounds best to you?

topspeed
03-30-2004, 07:54 AM

dph1965
03-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I've been a Paradigm fan for years, but just recently purchased an HSU STF-2 and VT-12 system for $600. It replaced a Titan based Paradigm system and I'm awed. It's a 6.1 system w/ a 10" sub. Of course, I bought this w/out being able to audition them (that being your only downside), but have to say I'm more than pleased! The VT-12 system is slightly brighter than the Titans I still own, and I have listened to the Cinema Series from Paradigm as well. These, IMO rate as well if not better than the Cinema series, especially the center channel output. Food for thought....enjoy what you go with!

cam
03-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi, I'm new here and would like to ask which is a better buy. I'm on a little budget also.

Paradigm - Blockbuster 70 - $746
Consist of:
Cinema 70 front
Cinema CC center
Cinema 70 rear
PDR-8 sub

NHT - $598
Superone front
Supercenter center
Superzero rear
Phase Technology Power 8 sub

Thanks in advance.With your 2 potential systems I would venture a guess that your better half is leading the charge. Just tell her who is boss and buy a slightly bigger system without spending all that much more money. Here is an example: Paradigm atoms or titans for your mains, cc170 for your center, and atoms for the rear. The pdr-8 would be ok for an apartment or townhouse, if you live in a house I would get the pdr-10. All paradigm dealers will deal on their prices. Use one against another if need be. If you buy the cinema package which is at the very bottom then you have set yourself up for an upgrade before you know it. Save up a few more greenbacks before you buy, trust me, I was a tight-wad at the begining and now I'm on my third sub. I could have saved some money if I would have just bought what I wanted from the start.

revlimit
03-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, this is for my room and it's not my better half that controll or makes the buying decision. Thank you all for putting your 2 cents in it.

revlimit
03-31-2004, 09:27 PM
Does anyone have anymore suggestion of different brand or model? The budget is under $800. Thanks again.

kexodusc
04-01-2004, 09:03 AM
I've got to agree with cam's post, you could do much, much better sound wise going up just a small step in price. Athena, Energy and Paradigm both make pretty decent bookshelf and center speakers that wouldn't be too much farther out of your reach. I'm not much of a fan of the little PDR-8, either. If I were you, I'd definitely take the extra time to buy the slightly larger speakers, or just buy a set at a time for now and build your system gradually.
Alternatively, give the used market a go. Ebay and audiogon.com are decent places to start. Generally, people who buy decent equipment tend to take care of it. Your dollar will go alot further into adding sound quality.

markw
04-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Although it doesn't have a subwoofer, it is still pretty impressive. And, you can always add one whenever you choose.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asf1_asc1_asb1.htm

dph1965
04-01-2004, 11:39 AM
HSU VT-12 & STF-2 system.... See above....Good Luck!

robisten8
04-05-2004, 05:56 PM
I like the Atlantic Technology T-70 system for both my music and movies. It really depends on your ears. www.onecall.com usually has the best price for this system. They've got it for $742 right now.