Blu Ray Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray Question

BallinWithNash
01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Alright guys I think I am going to get a Blu Ray player it will also be used as a CD player preferably under 250$. I've got these in mind; Sony BDP-S360, Samsung BD-P1600, Or a Panasonic DMP-BD60K, all of them are 199.99$, all upconvert and pretty much same specs. Having Netflix doesn't really matter because I have an xbox 360 but the Player has to have a 2 channel audio out (RCA Jacks) so it can run to my receiver and of course HDMI for my TV. So which one is better or do you guys have a better one in mind? Thanks

Mr Peabody
01-27-2010, 08:14 PM
It's a $100.00 stretch from where you are at but Oppo has a BDP at $299.00 now you might consider. Out of the 3 I'd lean toward the Panny. The Oppo should have better sound if using the analog outs. A big thing to look into since you will be using analog output is the speaker settings, you'll want to be able to adjust the volume level, delay, bass management etc. This all will have to be done inside the player as it will bypass your receiver's internal processing.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Alright guys I think I am going to get a Blu Ray player it will also be used as a CD player preferably under 250$. I've got these in mind; Sony BDP-S360, Samsung BD-P1600, Or a Panasonic DMP-BD60K, all of them are 199.99$, all upconvert and pretty much same specs. Having Netflix doesn't really matter because I have an xbox 360 but the Player has to have a 2 channel audio out (RCA Jacks) so it can run to my receiver and of course HDMI for my TV. So which one is better or do you guys have a better one in mind? Thanks

I would go with the Panny or the Sony as the Samsung players have to many disc playback issues.(I am so sorry Mr. P). I agree with Mr. P concerning the Oppo though.

BallinWithNash
01-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Ok, Mr. P sorry I am more of a computer guy now transitioning over to home theater and audio. So if I bought a CD player and ran it into my receiver that would bypass the receiver's internal processing to right? And why would it bypass the internal processing? since it is going into the receiver shouldn't it go through the processing portion?

01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Ok, Mr. P sorry I am more of a computer guy now transitioning over to home theater and audio. So if I bought a CD player and ran it into my receiver that would bypass the receiver's internal processing to right? And why would it bypass the internal processing? since it is going into the receiver shouldn't it go through the processing portion?

It depends on if you use the analog outs or the HDMI or Optical out. The latter will use your receivers DAC and processing, the former will not.

BallinWithNash
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
So my receiver is a Marantz 2240 so optical and HDMI are out on that one haha ... and why would the analog bypass it?

Mr Peabody
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
At some point the digital signal from the disc has to be decoded and converted to analog. When using coaxial, optical or HDMI to feed the digital signal from the player to the receiver the decoding is done in the receiver. When using an analog output of the player the decoding is already done in the player. So it bypasses the digital processing in the receiver.

You did say your Marantz had multichannel analog input?

BallinWithNash
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
yea it has multichannel analog input ... and ok that makes sense now Mr.P ... so now will the Oppo allow me to control bass, delay etc..? and will the sound quality be that much better?

Mr Peabody
01-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I haven't seen the feature list on the new Oppo and normally the internal settings are not listed. The thing you might do is email Oppo and ask what settings they offer for using the MC analog out.

I have not personally heard the new Oppo. I based my opinion on good reviews of existing players and the Oppo being able to play SACD which none of the others do. Oppo is known for good music playback for a budget price and I don't think they'd skimp if offering SACD on the unit. Oppo made it's rep on offering excellent performance for a budget price so I believe this Oppo at $299.00 will perform well beyond it's price.

BallinWithNash
01-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Well that is kinda what I meant ... My marantz, polks, crown, and sub is kind of a scrub set up and would spending the extra 100$ really make it sound better on my system?

Woochifer
01-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Price difference is much more pronounced now. Costco was selling the equivalent model to the Sony for $110 last week (price went back up to $140 this week), and the Panny and Samsung models are readily available for around $150.

The Oppo is a great option if you really value the analog audio output, but it's a brand new model with no comparisons done yet. Otherwise, the Panny is already very well regarded for the video quality (the others should be very good as well).

Mr Peabody
01-28-2010, 06:01 AM
My guess is you aren't going to get $150.00 or more difference but that's really something you'd have to decide. Oppo and the mass market stores offer 30 day return, you could get an Oppo and the unit that would be your other choice, Panny, and compare the two. Send the other back.

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2010, 06:41 AM
I have the Sony BDP-S560. It's basically the same as the 360 with wifi. I've been rewatching Season 5 of Lost on it, and it is just blowing me away! Both the picture and sound quality are fantastic. The audio is connected to my reciever via coaxial cable though, not analog. (look at me sounding like I know what I'm talking about :lol:).

I picked up the 560 on sale for $219 CDN. At that time the 360 was on sale for $149 CDN. $250 for that Sony BDP-S360 sounds like way too much money. Even at regular price it's only $199 here. Electronics are usually a lot less expensive in the U.S. than they are here in Canada.

Also, my brother has a Samsung BDP player, and as Sir T has said, he's experiencing some playback problems after only having it for a year.

Edit: I just checked the Best Buy web site and the 360 is on sale for $169 CDN right now.

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Oh, and another thing...I considered returning my Sony for the new Oppo. But after reading that they removed the DVD upconversion option from it, I decided that I didn't want to spend the additional money. I don't own any SACDs, but I do own a lot of DVDs, so upconversion was more important to me than being able to play SACDs. But that's just my own personal opinion.

GMichael
01-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Great replies FA.

Rich-n-Texas
01-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I dislike her current avatar.

Mingus
01-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I have the Sony 350 and 360 and it does a good job.

01-28-2010, 08:51 AM
I dislike her current avatar.

I dunno, it kind of reminds of how I feel about the company I work for on occasion.

GMichael
01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I dunno, it kind of reminds of how I feel about the company I work for on occasion.
I think it was posted by another member here to portray how evil the mouse you work for is. I remember her thanking them for her new avatar.

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I think it was from Worf's rant about Disney purchasing one of the comic book companies. I forget who posted it, but I love it!

I have been thinking that it might be time for a change though.

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Great replies FA.

Thanks. I have great teachers! ;)

LMB
01-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Oppo just came out with the BD80 for $289.00 I would consider it for $39.00 more. I got the BD83 for Christmas.
Velodyn SPL1000 R
PS3
Oppo BD83
Wii
Panamax 5100
Acoustic Zen & AudioQuest Cables
Pioneer Elite CD PDF 27

01-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I think it was posted by another member here to portray how evil the mouse you work for is. I remember her thanking them for her new avatar.

Yeah I know, the clueless predictor of all things with no proof.

BallinWithNash
01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Oppo just came out with the BD80 for $289.00 I would consider it for $39.00 more. I got the BD83 for Christmas.

The Oppo doesn't have analogue outputs though

BallinWithNash
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Alright Guys, thank you for all you comments and I think I am going to go with the Sony in my opinion it beats the Panny out because the Sony has 1 optical out 1 Coax out and my analogue when the Panny only has a optical and analogue ... and the Sony is 150$ right now haha

ForeverAutumn
01-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Nice choice. As I said, I like mine. My only complaint is the time it takes to load a BD disk. Let us know how you like it once you've got it up and running.

Mr Peabody
01-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I didn't realize Oppo did away with DVD upsampling in these units. I guess something had to go to meet the $299.00 point in the 80 but odd they'd not have MC analog with it playing SACD.

BallinWithNash
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Ok I will, but I won't be able to tell you until around next month cause I am in the middle of moving out of state and I will be shipping it to my other address.