Best "Modern" Werewolf Movie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best "Modern" Werewolf Movie

Worf101
01-26-2010, 08:08 AM
With Universal about to unleash a new retelling of the classif tale on us, it's time to ask what's the best recent telling? By recent I mean post 50's telling. Monster's, thanks for Abbott and Costello, had become jokes then.. But thanks to Hammer and others things got better in the 60's and beyond. What's your take?

Worf

Worf101
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
"Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" (2009) - This gives us the backstory of why Vamps and Lycans are "at each other's throats" ahem.

"Big Bad Wolf" (2007) - Ohhh carnivore vs. Coeds.. Yumm!

"Wild Country" (2005) - Another werewolfian romp in the Scottish Highlands!

"Van Helsing:" (2004) - More vamp than were, but they're in there nonetheless.

"Ginger Snaps : Unleashed" (2004) - Darker than the original but almost as fun. Take your time with it.

"Kibakichi Bakko Yokaiden" (2003) - Can you say "Samurai Werewolf"?

"Brotherhood of the Wolf" (2001) - When is a werewolf movie not a werewolf movie?

"Thriller" (1983) - Ah you didn't think I forgot about his one didja?

"Ladyhawke"
"Teenwolf"

Worf

poppachubby
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
What about the cinematic classic, Teen Wolf starring Micheal J Fox?

3LB
01-26-2010, 04:52 PM
I liked both American Werewolf and The Howling equally - both were a blast and neither took themselves seriously.

But Worf...how can ya fergit those shape shifters in 1981's Wolfen starring Albert Finney, Gregory Hines and a young Edward James Olmos...well, it was an OK movie. It tried to mix social commentary with horror and that made the movie plod at times, but it still had some scary moments and some great slight of hand effects. I think of this movie whenever I hear the song Of Wolf And Man by Metallica with its "shape shift!" refrain.

Worf101
01-27-2010, 06:07 AM
I liked both American Werewolf and The Howling equally - both were a blast and neither took themselves seriously.

But Worf...how can ya fergit those shape shifters in 1981's Wolfen starring Albert Finney, Gregory Hines and a young Edward James Olmos...well, it was an OK movie. It tried to mix social commentary with horror and that made the movie plod at times, but it still had some scary moments and some great slight of hand effects. I think of this movie whenever I hear the song Of Wolf And Man by Metallica with its "shape shift!" refrain.
Most of the afficiandos I've talked to don't consider "Wolfen" to be a werewolf movie. They consider the pack of wolves that do the killing as supernatural but not men turned to wolves. Or at least that's their take. I thought of this as well but this was their response. Sides, 10 slots is only 10 slots. But I probably would've removed something of "Wolfen".

Worf

Kam
01-27-2010, 08:50 AM
i voted Dog Soldiers! Although The Howling was a near tie, and i woulda voted for Brotherhood of the Wolf (on a side note, i said hi to Vincent Cassel at a CVS, and he seemed very nice, not the douchebag he is so excellent at playing in movies!)

Smokey
01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Most of the afficiandos I've talked to don't consider "Wolfen" to be a werewolf movie.

Is that the same afficiandos that told you Titanic was one of the best romance movie :D

Like 3LB, I enjoyed Wolfen too. The interaction between Albert Finney and his supervisor Dick O'Neill is fun to watch and make the whole movie.

Although haven't seen most of movies you mentioned, I really enjoyed American Werewolf in London. It was fun to watch.

AVMASTER
01-30-2010, 08:32 AM
it's been a while since i've watched "brotherhood of the wolf" but wasn't it a trained lion or some other big cat?
I vote for Dog Soldier!

RGA
01-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Ginger Snaps was pretty cool I must say - It was unsuspected as I watched it without reading anything about it.

I voted for American Werewolf in London - never really cared for the last 10 minutes which seemed really rushed but it struck a great balance of horror comedy and had a great Werewolf transformation sequence.