Advice On Choosing The Right Speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Choosing The Right Speaker

little wizard
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Good Day,

I am currently using a pair of AAD C-600 speaker (by phil jones) powered by Marantz sr6200 av receiver. Since it is already quite some time i have been using the AAD hence intended to get myself a new pair of speaker. In fact i have a few speaker options in mind but have limited ideas which will sound best when it comes to soft rock/jazz music. Personally i am prefer a warm sound imaging than anything else.

Please advise of the following speaker model.
1) Mordaunt-Short Avant 906i
2) Monitor Audio Bronze Br 5
3) PSB Image T5
4) Paradigm Monitor 7

Your time and effort will be greatly appreciated!

Mr Peabody
01-25-2010, 08:41 PM
If you are wanting "warm" you can strike the Monitor Audio and Paradigm off the list. Although I don't find either offensive they are quite lively with an extended high end. Paradigms I've heard have all had a revealing midrange that gives material played through them a live feel.

I've not heard the other two but we have a Mordaunt owner who is quite enthusiastic about their sound.

Any Sonus Faber in your area?

manlystanley
01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Good Day,

I am currently using a pair of AAD C-600 speaker (by phil jones) powered by Marantz sr6200 av receiver. Since it is already quite some time i have been using the AAD hence intended to get myself a new pair of speaker. In fact i have a few speaker options in mind but have limited ideas which will sound best when it comes to soft rock/jazz music. Personally i am prefer a warm sound imaging than anything else.

Please advise of the following speaker model.
1) Mordaunt-Short Avant 906i
2) Monitor Audio Bronze Br 5
3) PSB Image T5
4) Paradigm Monitor 7

Your time and effort will be greatly appreciated!

Ahaa..... Advice on speaker models. You've asked the right guy (if only I could figure out what I actually like). My advice (which is worth as much as you're paying for it) is:

1.) A speaker will sound totally different in a different room with a different system. So, to help us give you some advice, please tell us:
-- What are your tastes. Do you like clarity or ear bleeding thump? Are you a warm speaker guy or do you like light and airy.

-- What is your system like? Can you handle low efficiency four ohm Magnepans?

-- What is your room like: hard wood floors with wood paneled walls (e.g very bright) or plush carpet with lots of drapes (e.g. very warm).

2.) Me personally, I've been trying all sorts of speakers. I tend to: Listen to them and *Love* them. Then next day feel like: ugggg. it sounds OK. So, I'd suggest an extended listening trial to make sure that it suits your tastes.

Best Regards,
Stan

harley .guy07
01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I really think you need to look at some other speakers. Every speaker on your list have two things which are going to make it hard to get the sound you are looking for. One- they all use metal dome tweeters of aluminum or titanium which are usually more bright sounding than soft domes. and two-all of the speakers on your list have been explained by reviewers or users of these speakers to have a forward or revealing sound which is not what you are looking for. I would say if you are looking for a warmer sound I would look for speakers which use soft dome tweeters which naturally have a warmer and more realistic sound character to them in my opinion and also have paper or blended paper/kevlar, paper/carbon fiber midrange or a well made blended poly/mica cone because they seem to have a warmer sound character than the metal cone midbasses on one of the speakers on your list. Now cone/dome material does not always make the sound different so don't start hammering me all you out there with metal domes or cones but in MOST CASES a silk or textile dome tweeter and a paper blended cone midwoofer will usually make the sound warmer and less fatiguing to listen to for longer periods of time. That is exactly why driver manufacturers like Scan Speak use these materials in their top of the line drivers for ultra high end sound because they make the most natural sound. Dynaudio as well uses soft dome tweeters for this reason. I would look for speakers like Usher, Dynaudio, I have heard Vanderstiens are warm though I have not heard them myself I am going off other opinions hear, and there are other speakers out there that will give you the warmer sound you are looking for and other people on here will give you suggestions I haven't thought of but in my opinion the list you have right now is going in the opposite direction from what you are looking for.

koven
01-26-2010, 02:55 AM
If you want warm, I think the B&W 683 or Energy RC70 would be good choices, they are fairly easy to drive too.

jvc
01-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Allison speakers more than fit your requirements. But, the only way to get them now is used. To me, they are some of the best speakers that's been built. They show up on eBay every so often. There's some there now: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=allison+speakers&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Good luck!

harley .guy07
01-26-2010, 12:09 PM
If you want warm, I think the B&W 683 or Energy RC70 would be good choices, they are fairly easy to drive too.

I have heard that the B&W 683 is a very good sounding speaker but I don't know if B&W speakers will give him the warmth he is looking for. I used to sell B&W speakers and none of the models that we carried or I heard when reps brought them in were warm in character. Most of the models I heard were very detailed and could get borderline bright on hard rock or heavy driving music that uses a lot of cymbal work of horns. Classical music and instrumental music always seemed to be their strong suit. I am not sure what kind of music the OP is in to but unless the 683 changed in direction B&W normally takes they might be too bright for his tastes. I am not sure about the energy speakers because they are newer models and the ony Energy speakers I spent time with was the first generation verita speakers that came out in the 90's and they were some good speakers but that really does not say anything about the RC series so I would not know anything about them. Know I might be wrong about the 683's but that would be a departure from all the B&W speakers that I worked with over the years.

v rod
01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
yes b&w r a bit on the bright side

Poultrygeist
01-28-2010, 02:39 AM
a full range single driver is my choice.

Mr Peabody
01-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Have you heard Gallo Acoustics? I had a chance to hear a set and I was impressed. They really need the accompanying sub to fill in that bottom but the sound was good from those little things and with the style they certainly would be a conversation piece. We listened to a Jazz sampler with a variety. Didn't hear any Rock or heavy material. The sound had a natural presentation to it.