Is it possibe to repair a speaker? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is it possibe to repair a speaker?

IRG
01-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a pair of JB HLS-610s I'd like to sell (or maybe keep for one of the kids) but one of the woofers has a tear/rip in it. The replacement speaker is hard to find, and apparently there is 1 place that sells it for $170 (I was only asking $45 for the pair). So is there a way to fix the crack in the speaker cone? Maybe finger nail polish or something to this effect? If not, is it possible to replace both woofers with maybe some other brand that would work well enough? Any ideas of speaker replacement I could use? SOmething from PartsExpress for example? Thanks. irg

JohnMichael
01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
www.madisound.com is a good place for replacement drivers. I would think that having both woofers new and looking alike would make them more sellable. I would not buy a speaker with mismatched woofers or tweeters for that matter. Other members might know of other sites for replacement drivers.

02audionoob
01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
How about posting a photo?

Worf101
01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
I had a rip in one of the 8's in my ADS 1290's. I consulted some folks I trust they suggested I use some of the cement sent in surround repair kits I'd used in the past. Has worked pretty well thus far but I've a replacement driver waiting in the wings. Give it a try if it's just a rip and not a tear.

Worf

IRG
01-25-2010, 04:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try and post a pic later today.

3LB
01-25-2010, 11:43 AM
MCM electronics
Parts Express

You should have no trouble finding a suitable replacement driver (provided you follow T/S parametrs). You might weigh the cost/benefit of sinking any more money into them though, if you do decide to sell them.

v rod
01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
simpley speakers sells recone kits,or u can send it 2 them.i did a 5q midbase like new in 1 day not 2 harde 2 do.

Luvin Da Blues
01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I had a rip in one of the 8's in my ADS 1290's. I consulted some folks I trust they suggested I use some of the cement sent in surround repair kits I'd used in the past. Has worked pretty well thus far but I've a replacement driver waiting in the wings. Give it a try if it's just a rip and not a tear.

Worf

Works for me. Back in the day I used a bead of rubber cement to the rear of the paper cone to repair some old speakers without any problems. I wouldn't try this on expensive units tho.

Do surround repair kits use rubber cement?

02audionoob
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
The kits I've used have included a white glue that looks about like Elmer's.

IRG
01-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Here's a pic of the tear in the speaker. Best way to approach this?
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/SaleItems007.jpg

02audionoob
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
My first thought is Loctite Super Glue Gel (cyanoacrylate) applied to the edges by pushing the applicator nozzle into the crack. What do you think of that? My second thought is a rubber-adhesive polypropylene tape applied from the back.

Worf101
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
In that we're talking a plastic cone and not paper, I go with audio's suggestion. I'd lean towards tape first.

Worf

IRG
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
So I take the speaker out of the cabinet, and apply the tape to the backside of it then. Is there a specific brand of tape I should look for? Places like Home Depot sell it?

Poultrygeist
01-28-2010, 02:48 AM
You can probably find a superior replacement at Parts Express for little money. Some folks replace with a full ranger sans crossover with great results.

IRG
02-03-2010, 06:27 AM
You can probably find a superior replacement at Parts Express for little money. Some folks replace with a full ranger sans crossover with great results.

I might go this route, then use these speakers for my kids system or something like that. Selling them for $25 isn't going to happen, that's for sure.

02audionoob
02-03-2010, 06:57 AM
So I take the speaker out of the cabinet, and apply the tape to the backside of it then. Is there a specific brand of tape I should look for? Places like Home Depot sell it?

I'd be tempted to try carton-sealing tape.

audio amateur
02-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Problem with that is you can't simply swap drivers, because each driver requires to some extent a specific enclosure (volume, tuning frequency if ported etc..)

IRG
02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Problem with that is you can't simply swap drivers, because each driver requires to some extent a specific enclosure (volume, tuning frequency if ported etc..)

Is there a way that someone like PartsExpress can figure this out? I wish JBL would just sell a direct replacement for a real price. Maybe taping is the way to go. I think a decent/budget set of speakers should work for its intended purpose though, i.e. kids and non critical listening. Or will it be off to the extent it won't be very listenable?

stang
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Newer drivers also reqiure more ohms than old ones. If it has an amp in it will burn it up