Light Bulb Socket Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Light Bulb Socket Speakers

Smokey
01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
This seem like a neat idea.

At CES 2010, Klipsch unveiled LightSpeaker, which combines lighting and wireless audio in a single screw-in chassis. The LightSpeaker is larger than a typical light bulb, consuming the entire space within a standard can. But it screws into the socket like a regular bulb.

The completely contained 20 watts speaker units require no wiring, receiving their signal from a base station over a 2.4-GHz radio frequency connection. Volume and lighting are controlled via a small remote that can control two zones.

Each unit contains:
10-watt LED (which can replace a 65-watt incandescent bulb), speaker with 20-watt amplifier and wireless technology from STS for streaming audio and controlling the speaker.

Setting up the system couldn't be simpler. On the back of each speaker are two switches: one to designate the speaker as the left or right channel and one to designate the speaker as Zone 1 or Zone 2. Currently, only two zones are supported.

The hub of the system is a basic controller that accommodates two sources. From the base, or from a LightSpeaker handheld remote, users can select sources and zones and control the audio volume and lights.

LightSpeaker kits, expected to retail for $599.

http://www.cepro.com/images/slideshow/lightspeaker_kit.jpg

http://www.cepro.com/images/slideshow/lightspeaker_assembled_open.jpg

http://www.cepro.com/images/slideshow/lightspeaker_rear.jpg

http://www.cepro.com/images/slideshow/base_station_rear.jpg

http://www.cepro.com/images/slideshow/rf_transmitter_controller_a.jpg

Feanor
01-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Pretty amazing. Quite an idea too; (though I wonder about that much more 2.4GHz RFI floating around).

atomicAdam
01-24-2010, 09:17 AM
i could see this being used in the hotel and restaurant setting. or maybe some wealthy person's huge freaking mansion for ambient sound and lighting. but at his point it just seems like a cool proof of concept product. kind of like avatar. could have been amazing if fully flushed out.

dakatabg
01-24-2010, 01:04 PM
They look amazing. I would like to heave couple of them!

Smokey
01-24-2010, 08:45 PM
i could see this being used in the hotel and restaurant setting. or maybe some wealthy person's huge freaking mansion for ambient sound and lighting. but at his point it just seems like a cool proof of concept product. kind of like avatar. could have been amazing if fully flushed out.

I still aqree with Feaner and dakatabg that this thing have alot of potential.

Just look at possibilities....you could have sound where ever there is a light socket. In the closet, bathroom, kitchen, garage or outdoor patio.

pixelthis
01-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Its a gimmick.
BE more convenient if it just plugged into a wall outlet, IMHO.
Don't want a audio signal that is not "wired" anyway.:1:

Smokey
01-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Its a gimmick
BE more convenient if it just plugged into a wall outlet, IMHO.

But wallsockets are not mounted close to the ceiling :)

With wall sockets you got to have cables since they are mounted so low. I think this device is trying to do away with any type of cable attachments. And they seem succeeded in that regard.

dakatabg
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Thats what we will be using in future! It will replace all those outdoor speakers! It will be so cool having the light on and music coming of it! No changing batteries or anything! I hope the price drops down so everyone can buy it!

Smokey
01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't mind having couple of them speakers in the bathroom. It seem as we get older, we spend more time in the bathroom :D

markw
01-26-2010, 04:34 AM
I wonder whose bright idea this was?

Worf101
01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I wonder whose bright idea this was?
You oughtta be horsewhipped for this one!!!!! What a turrible ah said turrrible pun!!!!

Worf

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't mind having couple of them speakers in the bathroom. It seem as we get older, we spend more time in the bathroom :D

I really didn't want to know this :frown2:

Ajani
01-26-2010, 01:12 PM
You oughtta be horsewhipped for this one!!!!!

Seconded.

Ajani
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Though the concept is gimmicky, it could actually be a very cool way to get music all over your house without having to run wires through your walls and roof... Essentially a "poorman's" in-ceiling/in-wall speaker system.... Should be great for parties!

Luvin Da Blues
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
You oughtta be horsewhipped for this one!!!!! What a turrible ah said turrrible pun!!!!

Worf

But they only play light music, NO Heavy Metal for these puppies.:prrr:

GMichael
01-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I think the Bose cube lovers of the world will buy them by the thousands. Builders will offer them as $10,000 upgrades.

Worf101
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
But they only play light music, NO Heavy Metal for these puppies.:prrr:
To the Tower with him!!!!!! Seize all his property and chattel for the Crown!!!!!!

Worf

Worf101
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
If Bose had done this FIRST and had they're usual damnably effective ad campaign going 24/7 on these puppies they'd be selling like life rafts on the Titanic! Klipsch has bonafide winner on their hands if they just spend a leeetle money and get the slapchop guy working.

Worf

Smokey
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
If Bose had done this FIRST and had they're usual damnably effective ad campaign going 24/7 on these puppies they'd be selling like life rafts on the Titanic!

It would not pass house safety inspecter. The paper speaker cones are fire hazard that close to the light :D

01-27-2010, 09:33 AM
To the Tower with him!!!!!! Seize all his property and chattel for the Crown!!!!!!

Worf

Bring me the sword, we are going to end this screwy light joking once and for all!!!

Rich-n-Texas
01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Kani particumipate in this here thread? :(

pixelthis
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
I really didn't want to know this :frown2:

You'll find out sooner or later:1:

pixelthis
01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
They will find merit if someone buys them.
But IMHO they belong in someones doublewide:1:

GMichael
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Bring me the sword, we are going to end this screwy light joking once and for all!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........... ....................................

Now you'll have to chop your own head off.:nonod:

markw
01-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Bring me the sword, we are going to end this screwy light joking once and for all!!!Aw geez. Lighten up, will ya?

Worf101
01-29-2010, 05:27 AM
Aw geez. Lighten up, will ya?
Ohkay.. I've had it, enough messin' round. Call in the National Guard, time to put an end to this outbreak of bad punnery.

Worf

markw
01-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Ohkay.. I've had it, enough messin' round. Call in the National Guard, time to put an end to this outbreak of bad punnery.

WorfSo, tell me, watts really on your mind?

pixelthis
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Worf

Not the national guard.
THE LIGHT BRIGRADE.:1:

Luvin Da Blues
01-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Worf

Worf, your comments on this really Brightens ma day.

AVMASTER
01-30-2010, 08:01 AM
how many custom installers does it take to screw in a light speaker?

01-30-2010, 09:28 AM
This speaker lights up my life and gives me hope, ahhh what's the next part?;)

01-30-2010, 09:30 AM
how many custom installers does it take to screw in a light speaker?

One to adjust the light
Another to calibrate the speaker
and another install an array for a surround and light system.

So do I win?:crazy:

markw
01-30-2010, 05:00 PM
One to adjust the light
Another to calibrate the speaker
and another install an array for a surround and light system.

So do I win?:crazy:What, is this a union shop?

It's like that old saying. "Many hands make light work."

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Kani particumipate in this here thread? :(
Rich, stay away from this thread. Stay far far away!

:out:

01-31-2010, 08:15 AM
What, is this a union shop?

It's like that old saying. "Many hands make light work."

Yeah its union here. I wanted to high light workers rights while revealing the lightness of this speaker.

markw
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
In fact, I'd say it's downright revolting!

01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
In fact, I'd say it's downright revolting!

Watt?

AVMASTER
02-02-2010, 05:55 AM
watt was that? could you turn up the light, I can't hear you!