Upgrading Home Theater; Seeking Suggestions/Recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Home Theater; Seeking Suggestions/Recommendations

FWSoccerDad
01-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I’m just now starting to kick the tires on upgrading my sub, speakers, and a/v receiver. Unfortunately, I probably won’t purchase everything simultaneously. I’ll probably start either with my A/V receiver or sub. I’d likely start with my A/V receiver but my sub has gone out and so I need a new one more than I need a new A/V receiver, though, if I get a good deal on the receiver, I may start with it anyway. Nonetheless, my room is about 16x18 and is rectangular in shape. Because of the room configuration, my home theater system is centrally placed on the 18’ wall, making my system to face the 16’ direction. My current components include:

• TV: Panasonic TC-P58S1 58” plasma
• Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5790
• Blue Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD60
• PVR: DirecTV HR22-100
• Game System (used primarily as a media center, not a big game playing household): Xbox 360
• VCR/DVD Rec: Panasonic DMR-EX48V
• Main Speakers: Yamaha NS-A1237
• Center Speaker: JBL Studio Series S-Center
• Rear Surround: Yamaha NS-A327
• Rear Back: Yamaha NS-AP4400s

I’m all but determined to go update to the Pioneer Elite SC-25 or SC-27 as my A/V receiver and have all but decided to go with an SVS Sub. My question is which sub do I need based on my room size and components? Also, until I replace my entire system, I should swap my rear backs and rear surrounds?

I likely will not replace my tv any time soon.

Thanks so much for your help.

harley .guy07
01-23-2010, 04:50 PM
SVS is a great choice and a awesome sub. I would say any of the subs in the plus series would work well in your size of room unless you really want the extra output of the 13 inch sub in the ultra series but I know the price goes up substantially when you move to the ultra series so I would say you would be very happy with the plus series sub.

Mr Peabody
01-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I 2nd that emotion, wwwsvsound.com sub

Check this A/V processor out and the price: www.emotiva.com
I didn't link to the exact piece just the website.

I the Yammie has all the features you need and preamp out you might consider just adding an outboard power amp.

BadAssJazz
01-23-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm biased, but you can't go wrong with SVS. I've owned both the 20-39 pci and now the the SB-12. The other brands that I heavily researched before going with SVS were Hsu Research and MJ Acoustics. All solid subs, but I was more impressed by the SVS.

As for the rest of your upgrades, I suggest targeting your speakers (matching fronts and center) as the first priority. In my opinion, that will make the biggest difference in performance and appreciation of your HT setup.

The electronics (e.g., the receiver) can wait. As we all know, electronics tend to have a short shelf life. No point in shelling out $1800-$2200 for that SC-25/27 (according to msrp on Pio's website; I know you can find them from unauthorized dealers for less) when you'll probably find them at closeout for as much as 50% of original retail price.

That said, if you were intending on spending $2K for a receiver, do yourself a favor and look into separates first.