Jon made a good argument about HT setup vs Cable effects. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jon made a good argument about HT setup vs Cable effects.

Tony_Montana
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Terrible Terrence made an excellent comment about effect of cable in a typical HT setup. He said:

"Experience has taught me that the average listening room has room related resonances that are between 4-20db loud, do you really think that you can hear cable differences over that?"

That seemed very plausible statement, but Jon's rebuttal to that statment-when I quoted it in CA-made sense also. He said:

"If you are trying to say that room variations are swamping out the cable sonics, then you would also be saying that one could not hear the amps, or CDPs, or almost anything else change in a stereo (or HT) playback system, due to the room variations."

Given that I do hear do small changes (between 1-2 dB) with my setup when I change EQ setting, I may have to say that Terrence statement might not be correct.

So are we back to square one on that issue? :)

markw
03-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Even the staunchest cable supporters state that the differences made by cables are subtle at best and require a certain amount of refinement in the reproduction equipment to discern them. I believe that room acoustics and ambient noise would mask most any changes due to cables.

IOW, I think Jon is stretching it.

as far as an eq goes, it's easy to determine differences by momentarialy bypassing the eq via a switch.

Tony_Montana
03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
As far as an eq goes, it's easy to determine differences by momentarialy bypassing the eq via a switch.

Hi Mark

I do momentary by pass EQ via remote control to see if new EQ setting sound better or not.
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=2537

Even if changes are small (sometimes less than 1 dB), I still hear it. So evidently room acoustics and ambient noise is not masking subtle changes :)

markw
03-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Now, if you could just have that control over cable tetsting... Without that it's just wishing and hoping.

mtrycraft
03-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Terrible Terrence made an excellent comment about effect of cable in a typical HT setup. He said:

"Experience has taught me that the average listening room has room related resonances that are between 4-20db loud, do you really think that you can hear cable differences over that?"

That seemed very plausible statement, but Jon's rebuttal to that statment-when I quoted it in CA-made sense also. He said:

"If you are trying to say that room variations are swamping out the cable sonics, then you would also be saying that one could not hear the amps, or CDPs, or almost anything else change in a stereo (or HT) playback system, due to the room variations."

Given that I do hear do small changes (between 1-2 dB) with my setup when I change EQ setting, I may have to say that Terrence statement might not be correct.

So are we back to square one on that issue? :)

I think Terrence may be confusing two different issues; the difference the acoustics makes with the 'just noticable difference' in that room which still exists as the room effect is fixed for each signal presented to it. If you add or subtract a fraction from that signal, it will be noticable on top of what the room does to it.

Tony_Montana
03-31-2004, 06:00 PM
I think Terrence may be confusing two different issues; the difference the acoustics makes with the 'just noticable difference' in that room which still exists as the room effect is fixed for each signal presented to it. If you add or subtract a fraction from that signal, it will be noticable on top of what the room does to it.

Terrence probably as you said may have "word" it wrong. He may have meant to say that acoustic differences will probably be between 4-20 dB, while cables difference is much lower than that. And it will be added or subtracted on top of what the room does.

Now, that sound better. Thanks :)

mtrycraft
03-31-2004, 10:10 PM
Terrence probably as you said may have "word" it wrong. He may have meant to say that acoustic differences will probably be between 4-20 dB, while cables difference is much lower than that. And it will be added or subtracted on top of what the room does.

Now, that sound better. Thanks :)

Yes, that is what must happen. But, you are still listeing to that small change or difference from one wire or component to the next, even on top of the change by the room:)