Paradigm Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Speakers

Enochrome
01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I got some decisions to make:

Need to get a pair of monitors as my two mains; replacing a pair of Sony SS-MF750H
floorstanding speakers.

Two (three) questions:

Does anyone have the new Paradigm Mini Monitor V.6's? If so, how do they compare
to the B&W 685's (if you've listen to both)?

Also is $450 after taxes a good deal for them? Secondly, the same dealer has the
Paradigm Studio 20 v.4 for $580 (they are demos), good price?

I like the laid back and warm tone of the Paradigm's, so I am leaning in that direction.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

frenchmon
01-22-2010, 11:29 AM
I got some decisions to make:

Need to get a pair of monitors as my two mains; replacing a pair of Sony SS-MF750H
floorstanding speakers.

Two (three) questions:

Does anyone have the new Paradigm Mini Monitor V.6's? If so, how do they compare
to the B&W 685's (if you've listen to both)?

Also is $450 after taxes a good deal for them? Secondly, the same dealer has the
Paradigm Studio 20 v.4 for $580 (they are demos), good price?

I like the laid back and warm tone of the Paradigm's, so I am leaning in that direction.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

The studio 20's would be a much better speaker. I've listened to it and the Mini Monitors v5. But do keep in mind, the Studio 20v4 was said by Paradigm purist, that the v4's where not the best series of the studio series. But never the less, it will still be better than the mini's and the price seems to be good.

What other gear are you paring them with?

frenchmon

blackraven
01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=Enochrome

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob[/QUOTE]

Thats the first time I have ever heard Paradigms being called warm. I listened to many a Paradigm speaker and with tube amps and they still sounded bright!

I much rather prefer the sound of the B&W's, they have more detail although they are bright as well. You might want to take a look at the NHT Classic 2's and 3's. They have a nice warmer sound and better midbass. Also consider the Monitor Audio RS1's which list for $650 but can be had for $419 at www.saturdayaudio.com. Other's to look at are the PSB B25's and PSB Image B6's also at saturdayaudio and audioadvisor. I just thought that I would throw out a few other options for you.

koven
01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I've never heard any Paradigms that I'd consider warm. They are all on the bright/forward side. I would also look into other options before deciding on Paradigms.

frenchmon
01-22-2010, 01:39 PM
I have a pair of Paradigm's Model 3Se Mini's and they are very bright. On the other hand I have a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7v3 and they are not bright. About a month ago I had a chance to go and listen to the new Paradigm Studio 60 v6 long side the Monitor audio RS6 and neither speaker was bright. In fact the only difference in speakers I could hear was a deeper fuller bottom end on the RS6. I've also listen to the Paradigm studio 100's v4 and they where not a bright speaker either. I've not had a chance to listen to the Paradigm Signature series, but I'm told its not bright. But at the same time, I would never call Paradigm warm....neutral but not warm.

frenchmon

blackraven
01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
It's quite amazing how we all interpret sound differently. Thats why we have so many audio companies and different products to choose from.

By the way Frenchie, the Paradigm Signature series are excellent and are more neutral. They are certainly the best of the Paradigm line. I heard the S100's and Studio 100's in an AB comparison driven by a 60wpc Jolida Integrated amp and they both played at very loud levels with no distortion. The S100's sounded better but I'm not sure it was enough to warrant the price difference. And they could not hold a candle to the PSB Synchrony's that my friend (who was looking at the Pardigms) bought instead.

frenchmon
01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I've never heard any Paradigms that I'd consider warm. They are all on the bright/forward side. I would also look into other options before deciding on Paradigms.

If what you mean by forward is to place the sound a little closer than they were recorded, and not laid back, then yes, but my Monitor 7v3's are a very neutral sounding speaker. Neither was the new Studio 6, nor the Studio 100's I listened to bright either.

frenchmon

frenchmon
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
It's quite amazing how we all interpret sound differently. Thats why we have so many audio companies and different products to choose from.

By the way Frenchie, the Paradigm Signature series are excellent and are more neutral. They are certainly the best of the Paradigm line. I heard the S100's and Studio 100's in an AB comparison driven by a 60wpc Jolida Integrated amp and they both played at very loud levels with no distortion. The S100's sounded better but I'm not sure it was enough to warrant the price difference. And they could not hold a candle to the PSB Synchrony's that my friend (who was looking at the Pardigms) bought instead.

I wonder why one series of speakers from the same company would be bright and the other lines from that company would not be? I've also heard others say they could not warrant the price difference of the studio line and the Sigature line. I would love to hear any speaker from PSB speakers. I hear nothing but good things about their speakers. I've listened to a lot of good gear while I lived in North Carolina, but there was no PSB, but now that I live in St. Louis, we have even less. One company that I love is Cary Audio.

frenchmon

blackraven
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
It wasnt that there was no difference between the M100's and the S100's, its just that there was not enough of a difference to warrant the difference in price IMO and my friends, Both were excellent speakers with the S100's being a little smoother and fuller sound. Maybe it was the Jolida 60wpc tube amp. Maybe with more power the speakers would have been more dynamic. I would not hesitate to recommend either one but the PSB synchrony's are smoother, warmer with better bass, imaging and sound stage.

TheHills44060
01-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Oh my, when i read Paradigm being described as warm and laid back i nearly placed the muzzle of a Colt revolver in my mouth and pulled the trigger because that's how i feel after any Paradigm listening session lasting over 20 minutes. I have NEVER heard any Paradigm speaker that I could stand...regardless of the line. Plus i despise how the majority of them have those cheap plastic looking plastic front baffles, such an eyesore. I'd take the B&W's or Monitor Audio's mentioned above in a heartbeat over the Paradigms Even better take a listen to the PSBs. I am amazed how comparably priced PSBs are so much more pleasing to listen to compared to Paradigms (IMO, my ears of course).

Enochrome
01-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I think my terminology is a little bit on the rookie side. What I mean might be "warm" is that I found the lower midrange to be a little smoother and fuller. I thought the B&W 685's provided amazing detail and clarity, which I found more conducive to vocals and jazz. Yet, when compared to the paradigms, the 685's felt to analytical for rock, which the Paradigm were more pleasing with.

I have only a Pioneer VSX-919AH-K that would drive them, so I thought the Studio 20's v.4 would be too much speaker for them.

In regards to PSB, I have heard great things about them, but nobody in Los Angeles carries them :mad5: , same with Wharfedale. I am reluctant to buy speakers that I have not heard. Why don't more places carry these quality bookshelve's, more people would by them, especially non-audiophiles.

Thanks!!

MikeyBC
01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh my, when i read Paradigm being described as warm and laid back i nearly placed the muzzle of a Colt revolver in my mouth and pulled the trigger because that's how i feel after any Paradigm listening session lasting over 20 minutes. I have NEVER heard any Paradigm speaker that I could stand...regardless of the line. Plus i despise how the majority of them have those cheap plastic looking plastic front baffles, such an eyesore. I'd take the B&W's or Monitor Audio's mentioned above in a heartbeat over the Paradigms Even better take a listen to the PSBs. I am amazed how comparably priced PSBs are so much more pleasing to listen to compared to Paradigms (IMO, my ears of course).

I heard Paradigm Mini-Monitors V1 driven by a Conrad johnson CAV-50 Integrated amp...and they were pretty darn impressive, easy to listen to...my point is Paradigms can change character with different associated equipment.

blackraven
01-23-2010, 05:16 PM
You should be able to drive most speakers fine in 2ch mode with that Pioneer receiver. I believe its rated at 120wpc.

There are plenty of PSB dealers in and around LA check this link and type in your zip code and do a search of within 80 miles.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/dealers/

For Monitor audio- http://www.psbspeakers.com/dealers/dealer_find_script.php

frenchmon
01-23-2010, 05:41 PM
shodulik what Paradigm did you listen to and what gear was it connected to?

Its 7:20 pm as I type this and Mr.Peabody had a great time today listening to speakers. We started at about 10:30am and finshed at about 3:30 pm.

The first set we listened to was a line of Dali speakers the Lektor. 2..stand monitor and Lektor 8 floor stander. Then we listened to Dynaudio focus 110's stand monitors , Focus 220's floor standers and then the Saffire floor standers. We then listened to the Paradigm Signature 8's floor standers, Monitor GS10 stand monitors, Paradigm Studio 20's stand monitors, and finally some Gallo spreakers that where just amazing.

But back to the Signatures...after we listened for a good while I turned to Mr.Peabody and asked "do you think those speakers are bright?" He then replied no. The Signatures are a great sounding speaker as well as a very handsome speaker. If anything could be said that was negative about that speaker was that something was wrong with the way they had it set up. The bottom end was a little week but we both know it can give more in the bottom end. Mr.Peabody and I thought they had some of the clearest and detailed midrange that we have heard in a long time. It truly is an amazing speaker. I can't say they are bright.

frenchmon

blackraven
01-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Frenchie, I agree with every thing you say about the S8's except that we found them to lean on the bright side. It could have been the recording, Cd player or how they were set up.

frenchmon
01-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Frenchie, I agree with every thing you say about the S8's except that we found them to lean on the bright side. It could have been the recording, Cd player or how they were set up.

IF extremely warm is to the far left at -10 and Neutral in the middle at 0 and fatiging bright on the far right at + 10, then the Sigatures where about +3 in my opinion. But they where connected to Mac. amp

This is what shodulik said that I totally disagree with

Oh my, when I read Paradigm being described as warm and laid back i nearly placed the muzzle of a Colt revolver in my mouth and pulled the trigger because that's how i feel after any Paradigm listening session lasting over 20 minutes. I have NEVER heard any Paradigm speaker that I could stand...regardless of the line. Plus i despise how the majority of them have those cheap plastic looking plastic front baffles, such an eyesore

Im wondering what gear was used when shodulk listened. That experience is totally difference from my experience with the Speaker company. Nor do Ifind them cheap looking. I think the new Monitor seireis are not as attractive and the old monitor series but I dont find them cheap looking. I have the old monitor 7v3 floorstanders and have them paired with Marantz and Adcom in my hometherater and they are not bright. And I have had them with my Rotel 200watt amp and they where not bright. While the speaker is not warm, they are not bright in my listeneing.

frenchmon

Feanor
01-24-2010, 04:02 AM
I have older MiniMontors, V.3, I think. I don't find them bright in themselves, although they don't warm bright associated equipment.

I like about Paradigms that are still all made in North America, (last I heard). PSB, for example, are now all made in China. Nothing necessarily wrong with Chinese manufacture -- what isn't made in China these days? But rewarding manufactures who are still able to operate here appeals to me.

Enochrome
01-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the links blackraven.

In response to the looks of the recent Paradigm Line. I like them. I think they balance the line of looking futuristic and regal, which is very hard to do. I am a librarian in a design college and all the students have such a hard time with this. I love the way these specialty speaker companies are pushing the boundries in different directions. I like the look of them (with the grills off) much more than the v.4 editions. I like the classy understated look of the B&W's, but I can't get over the all black front with the wood veneer sides; they should have incorporated more of the wood in the front, because you spend all your time in that position. Love the 685 tweeter design though.

Also, in regards to Paradigm, it is nice to have a company do all the design and manufacturing in house (Canada). I think there is certain level of direct design and quality control with the "in house" process. Yet, being made in China is not necessarily a bad thing, if only the parent company has thorough quality control, which it seems B&W has.

By the way, I ordered the Mini Monitor V.6 . Can't wait till they come. I'm going out to by new music for them, which is the other side benefit of buying new speakers ; )

harley .guy07
01-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I think you will like them. i have had a pair of monitor 7's for around 16 years now and they are awesome for what I have in them. I did have to modify them and change the tweeter over to a soft dome tweeter which is way smoother and does away with the brightness. And I went through and changed the crosssover components to higher end caps and coils and also put a zobel network on the midwoofers to keep the impedance stable at the crossover frequency. These mods have changed this speaker completely and has made it something that I am pretty proud of for a 16 year old speaker.

frenchmon
01-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the links blackraven.

In response to the looks of the recent Paradigm Line. I like them. I think they balance the line of looking futuristic and regal, which is very hard to do. I am a librarian in a design college and all the students have such a hard time with this. I love the way these specialty speaker companies are pushing the boundries in different directions. I like the look of them (with the grills off) much more than the v.4 editions. I like the classy understated look of the B&W's, but I can't get over the all black front with the wood veneer sides; they should have incorporated more of the wood in the front, because you spend all your time in that position. Love the 685 tweeter design though.

Also, in regards to Paradigm, it is nice to have a company do all the design and manufacturing in house (Canada). I think there is certain level of direct design and quality control with the "in house" process. Yet, being made in China is not necessarily a bad thing, if only the parent company has thorough quality control, which it seems B&W has.

By the way, I ordered the Mini Monitor V.6 . Can't wait till they come. I'm going out to by new music for them, which is the other side benefit of buying new speakers ; )

Nice to hear you got the Mini Monitors. You will like them. Dont forget to give us a review when you get all settled.

frenchmon

the hand of boredom
01-25-2010, 06:03 AM
You'll be quite happy with them.

My very first venture into audiophilia in 1999 as a student was with the MiniMonitors powered by a Yamaha receiver. They had a very clean look, great punch for their size, and were relatively low cost - great for a student who enjoyed listening to music and watching movies.

Enjoy.

harley .guy07
01-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I know several people that started their life in this hobby with the mini monitors because they are probably one of the best speakers at their price range. As I said ONE of the best speakers in their price range because there a lot of other speakers in the 500 dollar and under class that are good, PSB alpha's,usher s520 just to name a couple of others.