PS3 or LG BD390 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or LG BD390

bryanalban
01-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Looking to get a Blu Ray player and was wondering what your suggestions are. I'm choosing between the LG BD390 and the PlayStation 3 Slim.

I'm most interested in good Blu Ray and DVD playback, and how it works streaming from Netflix. I'm not a gamer, and while I might buy and play a game or two very occasionally, that isn't a major point (although I guess it is a minor point).

A friend said that even if I play a game just a few times, it is better to get the PS3. His thinking is even if you think you might play some games, go with the PS3. What do you guys think?

My order of important features is:

1. Blu-ray playback
2. Netflix streaming
3. DVD playback
4. Gaming

One of the main reasons my friend gave for picking the PS3 , even if you don't really game, was it's ability to upgrade via firmware in the future. He said as better streaming algorithms, DVD up-conversion, etc, you can upgrade you PS3 because it is software based, whereas the standalone Blu-ray players are hardware based. But someone on another board said that I can update the firmware in both the PS3 and the BD390 equally.

Any suggestions?

Feanor
01-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Looking to get a Blu Ray player and was wondering what your suggestions are. I'm choosing between the LG BD390 and the PlayStation 3 Slim.

I'm most interested in good Blu Ray and DVD playback, and how it works streaming from Netflix. I'm not a gamer, and while I might buy and play a game or two very occasionally, that isn't a major point (although I guess it is a minor point).

A friend said that even if I play a game just a few times, it is better to get the PS3. His thinking is even if you think you might play some games, go with the PS3. What do you guys think?

1. Blu-ray playback
2. Netflix streaming
3. DVD playback
4. Gaming

One of the main reasons my friend gave for picking the PS3 , even if you don't really game, was it's ability to upgrade via firmware in the future. He said as better streaming algorithms, DVD up-conversion, etc, you can upgrade you PS3 because it is software based, whereas the standalone Blu-ray players are hardware based. But someone on another board said that I can update the firmware in both the PS3 and the BD390 equally.

Any suggestions?
Is there a question if you include gaming?

Check out the most recent Consumers Reports for their Blu-ray reviews. There were Panasonic and LG models that were top of the heap for picture, etc. I don't think they reviewed Oppo.

GMichael
01-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Does your receiver or proccessor have HDMI? The PS/3 does not have analong MC out. That is the only drawback that I can see. If you have HDMI then that becomes a non-issue.

L.J.
01-22-2010, 08:08 AM

1. Blu-ray playback
2. Netflix streaming
3. DVD playback
4. Gaming

Any suggestions?

I have 3 separate AV systems and use a PS3 each of them. Two are slims and one is the original 60g model. The BR playback and media center capabilities alone are enough for me to go with the PS3 over other players, not to mention the continued support and constant improvements over the years.

Netflix streaming is disc based right now(you gotta insert a disc whenever you want to stream netflix) but this will be changed soon so streaming can be done directly from the PS3 menu. Once on netflix, you can browse the entire free play catalog based on various search options. Each genre has maybe 100 titles to choose from. A few are HD(nothing special) and most are older movies. There is plenty to choose from though. The catalog of titles is updated but I'm not sure how often.

I really can't comment on DVD playback because I use Denon DVD players for that. My understanding is that a update will be coming soon focusing on improving DVD playback even further. There are all types of filters and adjustments that can be made for people who like to tweak. PS3 owners on this board that use the system for DVD seem to be happy with it.

I'll admit that I'm a gamer so it's a huge bonus for me :cornut: I think that even occasional gaming will provide more bang for your buck. Playstation network games can be downloaded directly onto your PS3 hard drive and start for as little as $2.99. The game library is quite large and although your not a hardcore gamer like myself, I'm sure you'd find something. My wife doesn't care about games but she has found several games she enjoys to play occasionally.

Besides gaming, I also stream music/photos/video, browse the web occasionally, view different types of podcasts, you tube & I also store various media directly to the HD. The HD is easily upgraded so I'm not worried about space.

Some people complain about noise, but the slims are whisper quiet compared to the original units. Others complain about the look of the unit :idea: Some have also made comments about the user interface, but disc can be set to play immediately once loaded. Besides the lack of analog outs, there are no other issues I can think of.

bryanalban
01-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I should have mentioned that I have a Denon 2808CI, so I'll be using HDMI.

It sounds like there are not compromises, but the future expandability is great.

One question, I know the PS3 uses bluetooth, so my IR remote won't work. So what are my options? I can buy the PS remote for $20. Is there some kind of adapter that I can plug into one of the USB ports on the PS3, so I could use my IR remote???

L.J.
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
I should have mentioned that I have a Denon 2808CI, so I'll be using HDMI.

It sounds like there are not compromises, but the future expandability is great.

One question, I know the PS3 uses bluetooth, so my IR remote won't work. So what are my options? I can buy the PS remote for $20. Is there some kind of adapter that I can plug into one of the USB ports on the PS3, so I could use my IR remote???

If your current remote has a learning feature, you can use this (http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Blu-Wave-Remote-Playstation-3/dp/B000R5H7KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1264184905&sr=8-1) and just add the functions to your current remote and stick the Nyko in a drawer. That's what I use with my Harmony One. The only function you can't use is "power on". PS3 turns on automatically once you insert a disc though. It does use up a USB port though.

If you have a Harmony you could also use the PS3 adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-Playstation-3/dp/B00267S7XW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264185136&sr=8-1-catcorr). It frees up the USB, and can do all functions including power on. Kinda pricey though.

I'm using the Nyko USB/IR receiver with my Harmony just fine.

bryanalban
01-22-2010, 10:43 AM
This is probably a dumb question/comment.

Not sure if my remote has a "learning" feature, I don't think so. I just use the remote that came with my Denon 2808CI. It can control all the various components that I have - CD, Cable, DVD, etc.

Would this work?

L.J.
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
This is probably a dumb question/comment.

Not sure if my remote has a "learning" feature, I don't think so. I just use the remote that came with my Denon 2808CI. It can control all the various components that I have - CD, Cable, DVD, etc.

Would this work?

A quick look at Denon's website shows that the remote can "learn" functions from other remotes. Basically you'd point the two remotes at each other, press the button on the Nyko that you'd like your Denon to learn and press the identical button on your Denon. For example, point the two at each other, hit PLAY on the Nyko then PLAY on the Denon. Continue until you learn all the functions. Obviously other steps are involved. My 2805 remote has a small button at the bottom that says LEARN. I would need to press that button to set the controller up for learning. You'll also have to store your controls under a unused source like VCR or something. I'm not sure about that remote, maybe it has a game source name or Bluray. Following the steps in the manual should be simple enough. I would suggest reading the manual and becoming familiar with it before purchasing the Nyko. The steps are listed below. Page 54 of the manual.

Learning Function
If your AV devices are of a brand other than DENON or if they
cannot be operated with the preset memory function, their
remote control signals can be transfered to stored in the AVR-
2808CI’s main remote control unit.
1 Press [MODE SELECTOR] for the device you want to
set.
2 Press and hold in [RC SETUP] for at least 3 seconds.
The signal transmission indicator flashes twice.
3 Press [9], [7] and [5], in that order.
The signal transmission indicator flashes twice and the learning
mode is set.
4 Press the button to be set.
The main remote control unit’s display turns off.
b If a button that cannot be learned is pressed, the signal transmission
indicator lights but the signal is not learned.
5 Point the main remote control units directly at each
other and press and hold the button on the other
device’s remote control unit that you want to learn.
Once learning is completed normally, the display lights and the
signal transmission indicator flashes twice.
b If you want to learn other buttons, repeat steps 4 and 5.
b The mode can be switched by pressing [MODE SELECTOR].
b The signal transmission indicator lights once for a long time if
learning was not possible
6 Press and hold in [RC SETUP] for at least 3 seconds.
The signal transmission indicator flashes twice and the setting
is completed.

bd390
02-15-2010, 01:48 AM
This is very useful information for blu-ray player. Thanks.

BD390 (http://bd390.net)

audio amateur
02-15-2010, 05:52 AM
ps3 ps3 ps3 ps3 ps3 ps3!!!!

euchreb
02-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I havent compared alot of blue ray players but my ps3 is great and with the net flix and upgrades I would say it is a good investment. Unless you are a video game addict like me which is likely to end your marriage at some point. LOL