New member, wanted to say "hi" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New member, wanted to say "hi"

Father Time
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Hello,
I have been watching on the sidelines, wanted to join in the fun, as I'm a serious stereo nut. I have some stuff for sale, looking for new stuff. I have been a stereo fanatic since the 60's... Been there, done that. Love my music. Listening to a McIntosh MC 250 with a Marantz 2245 as a pre-amp. Love to wheel and deal, hope to get some Tube stuff in the future. I have the sickness...
Father Time

Mr Peabody
01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Welcome to AR.

Father Time
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks Mr. Peabody

harley .guy07
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Well you came to the right place for that. There are plenty of people on here that have different gear and different opinions on gear so this site has the diversity to be interesting. Hope you find it interesting as I do and welcome

Father Time
01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks Harley Guy O7...
I too am a "Harley guy". I currently have a '91 softail springer with a SS 107 cubic inch motor and a 6 speed tranny. Only bike that I don't have any Idea on how fast it will go...
I love audio also, and might be a little (no doubt) obssesive perhaps... where do you ride?
I live in Tucson, Az. where you can ride all yr. long, 'cept maybe when it's 110 degrees outside... Great rite now! Thanks...

Father Time
01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Does my equipment list show in my posting?
Thanks

harley .guy07
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I live in Joplin Mo. and right now I am getting some custom paint done so I am not riding right now but I have a 2007 softail standard with a lot of custom parts on it and a trick paint job.

harley .guy07
01-20-2010, 08:03 PM
The way I put my equipment on my posting is to go to signature and put my list in there and it will show at the bottom of every post.

CaseySD
01-21-2010, 07:47 AM
hello

audio amateur
01-21-2010, 08:10 AM
What's up Father Time, welcome to AR. Your signature reminds me of a now long gone member, Slippers On.
Take your coat off and stay a while;)

ps: just noticed you don't sign all your posts with Father Time so I guess it was just the first.

Hyfi
01-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey Time, glad to have you with us!

Yeah, add your equipment to your signature.

Father Time
01-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Darn, I thought I added it but must have put it in the wrong place....
Very nice to be here, and will get that equip list later.
Thanks for the warm welcome to this community.
Father Time

poppachubby
01-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Welcome!!

GMichael
01-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi Father Time. How's it going? Uh, would you mind doing me a favor while you're here? Could you make me 21 again?

devuonoste
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Welcome Father Time and hope you enjoy this site. I too am looking to get into tube gear and even though I've only just recently started looking into tube gear and various tubes, I think I'm hooked already. Good Luck and have fun.

kexodusc
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Hello Father Time, and welcome to AR.com.

Father Time
01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks, it's going OK. You are all now 21 yrs old.
The closest thing that I have to Tube is my McIntosh MC250, and some really old Fisher SS stuff that I'm restoring, or trying to.
I had to take several things off my equip list in my signature as they only allow 500 characters. I will post some photos soon as I figure that out. About 2/3's of my list is for sale so I can upgrade some speakers.
Speaking of tubes... My audio repair guy has about a $100K rack of McIntosh tube stuff with HUGE Bozak speakers that looked big as very large dressers! I was in heaven for a moment! They are probably still wiping up the drool I left...
I wish the ringing in my ears would stop...

JoeE SP9
01-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Welcome aboard Father Time. PM me about the for sale stuff please.

audio amateur
01-21-2010, 01:42 PM
You might just want to put the main components in your signature :p

Father Time
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
You might just want to put the main components in your signature :p
That was a little ridiculous. I toned it down to some of my favorites. In order of what I like the best w/speakers, no particular order with the amps and receivers, 'cept for the mcintosh.
I have always wanted one, for the last 35-40 yrs. The McIntosh MC 250 is absolutely mint. A thing of beauty...and the sound is very wonderful, supposedly, the most "tube like" sounding SS , and I use a Marantz 2245 for the preamp, till I get something I like better. Any ideas?
My Pioneer SX-980 is pretty much NIB. Guy bought 2 'cause he liked them so much, he never wanted to be without one, so he bought 2 overseas... And he would take it out of the box maybe once every yr or 2 and fire it up and play if for an hour or 2, then put it back in the styrofoam supports and put it back in the box. But the other one never wore out! It is the nicest vintage I have seen. I have the box and the box, styrofoam, manual, schematics, etc..., along with a beautiful story. I and just had my guy go through and de oxit all the buttons and knobs, etc... as the silver contacts will tarnish and make scratchy scratch, but I did it even though it was quiet, as I'm going to sell it to someone who will really appreciate and enjoy it.
My Pioneer SX-1250 is also just beautiful, and pretty much perfect! I love it and will cherish it. Probably never get rid of it. It has some sick power, sounds incredible and I enjoy just looking at it, as I do the MC 250... They are just cool looking. Will be back...

E-Stat
01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
The McIntosh MC 250 is absolutely mint. A thing of beauty...and the sound is very wonderful, supposedly, the most "tube like" sounding SS , and I use a Marantz 2245 for the preamp, till I get something I like better. Any ideas?
Let me extend my welcome, too. McIntosh SS amps have always possessed a particular smoothness with their use of output transformers. Similarly, a lot of older receivers were quite forgiving sounding because they had capacitively coupled outputs that tended to tame things a bit.

As for preamps, what source(s) do you use? Vinyl? CD / digital only? As for line sources, my recommendation would be: none. Your amp has gain controls and is well suited to be driven directly by a CD player with its high input impedance and sensitivity. There's nothing like the sound of...nothing! I use a preamp only with vinyl where I need the phono stage and gain.

Oh, and it's good to hear from another rider. While I know the top speed of my bike, I'm no longer foolish enough to experience it!

rw

manlystanley
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Welcome Father time! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Best Regards,
Stan

Father Time
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks E-Stat and Manlystanly,
I just got my ole' lady a Marantz 2215B and a pair of bookshelf AR-18Bv or something like that, just re-foamed, for her birthday. She has been seeing me with all my jazz, so I had to hook her up for her b-day, and I certainly did the rite thing... And you men know what?, women don't like alot of volume, and all the same stuff us "men" do. Which actually saves us some dough!
Anyway, she has a nice Technics Turn table, and a ton of "vinyl", I mean alot! I have been using CD, Ipod, and Sirius radio, so I am very anxious about hearing the difference w/vinyl. Also got her a Pioneer cassette deck as she also has alot of those , and we gotta make these better 1/2's happy, U know what I'm talking...
So this weekend, I'm going to hear "ALL" the different inputs. Should be fun.

So, E-Stat... You're saying just in put the CD player right into the McIntosh?Never thought of that, but I get it... I will have "Pure McIntosh" sound with nothing in the way so I can get a "true", direct cd sound with no distractions... I will try that very shortly..

That's why I knew to Join this forum, to get new ideas, search new areas, and go... where no man has ever gone before... Ok. I'm done. But I am very passionate about audio. Don't get me started about my sick truck system. HUH? My ears never stop ringing since I got it.
Father Time

manlystanley
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Don't get me started about my sick truck system.

Truck???!!! You drive a truck!!! Ok, lets see if you're red-neck material:

Test #1: If it ain't a Ford, full of rust and over 10 years old....then it's ain't squat.
Test #2: Repeat Test #1

Ummm. Now, guess what kind of truck I drive........

Best Regards,
Stan

E-Stat
01-21-2010, 06:55 PM
So, E-Stat... You're saying just in put the CD player right into the McIntosh?Never thought of that, but I get it... I will have "Pure McIntosh" sound with nothing in the way so I can get a "true", direct cd sound with no distractions... I will try that very shortly..
It's gonna sound very different at first. Initially, you might consider it a bit thin. Listen longer and what you'll find is that you are listening more closely to the source. The image is wider. You will begin to notice subtle details in the mix that you never quite heard before...

rw

Mr Peabody
01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Good catch E-stat, let's hope the good Father finds the gain control before plugging in and turning on :)

thekid
01-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Welcome to AR
Looks like you have some very nice older gear.