View Full Version : surround sound hookup

bayman88
01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
i have a older jvc RX662V receiver, has surround sound option, i have a newer
vizio HD tv, cant seem to find out how to hook up receiver to use surround
sound, have all speakers ready, a diagram would be great

E-Stat
01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
i have a older jvc RX662V receiver, has surround sound option, i have a newer vizio HD tv, cant seem to find out how to hook up receiver to use surround sound, have all speakers ready, a diagram would be great
The answer depends upon how you get your TV signal. If you have digital cable plugged directly into the TV, then you would use the "Digital Output" jack (both my Visios have them) via a Toslink optical cable from the TV to your receiver. If on the other hand you use a cable box, then it has its own audio outputs and you would bypass the TV altogether. You would then use the same optical cable from the cable box directly to your receiver or you could also run standard RCA type cables.

Understand that broadcast TV or cable isn't really a true multi-channel surround source. More than likely, your receiver offers one or more synthesized surround modes that convert a two channel source to play on all five speakers. With a true multi-channel DVD / Blu-Ray source, you would connect the player directly to the receiver via an optical or standard RCA cables. Current receivers offer the simple HDMI connection which provides both audio and video to the receiver.

rw

bayman88
01-20-2010, 03:32 AM
thanks rw, my receiver does not have the optical hookup, ill go with the rca
cables, let you know how i made out

Mr Peabody
01-20-2010, 08:10 AM
E-stat, does your TV output a 5.1 digital signal? From what I understand they do not. Yours would be the first I heard of. There are many channels that provide a true 5.1, especially the HD channels and definitely the movie channels (ie. HBO, Showtime, Starz etc.) It depends on the content though, whether originally in 5.1. The best way to go for surround sound is direct from the source with a digital audio hook up. E-stat, if you go from your cable box to the receiver you should hear an improvement.

With that all being said it sounds like the OP doesn't have any digital processing. Time to think about upgrading.

E-Stat
01-20-2010, 08:28 AM
E-stat, does your TV output a 5.1 digital signal? From what I understand they do not. Yours would be the first I heard of.
No, it does not. Perhaps you missed the second paragraph in my post wherein I explain that.

The best way to go for surround sound is direct from the source with a digital audio hook up. E-stat, if you go from your cable box to the receiver you should hear an improvement.
I agree entirely. When one does not use a cable box, however, one must use the digital out from the TV.

With that all being said it sounds like the OP doesn't have any digital processing. Time to think about upgrading.
True.

rw

bayman88
01-20-2010, 08:50 AM
ok, got the box with the center speaker working great but cant seem to get front
speakers to work, they do work, and front speaker ports work went to fm stereo
mode, any suggestions, thanks

Mr Peabody
01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
What setting is the sound on? If you are using the Pro Logic it may be that there just isn't much program material for the mains to fill. If you want to be sure all speakers are operating try "party" mode which will play all speakers at once. In surround rears aren't on much depending on the movie. Drama or some animated rears are rarely on but in action movies you usually hear more. You should hear the mains more on a movie channel.

bayman88
01-20-2010, 09:40 AM
i dont have party mode, i have hall mode, if i switch to this, the lone center speaker
shuts off

Mr Peabody
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
What input are you using? What modes do you have? I'm assuming the only unit doing this is the TV?

E-Stat
01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
ok, got the box with the center speaker working great but cant seem to get front speakers to work, they do work, and front speaker ports work went to fm stereo mode, any suggestions, thanks
Peabody could be right in that most basic TV programming has vocal only for the center and does not use the front channels - unless you choose a sound mode that may involve them. Backing up one step, however, how were you able to connect the output of the TV to your receiver? While a single digital cable can carry multiple channels, conventional RCA type cables cannot.

rw

rob_a
01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Pictures would help, if you snap a shot of how you have your tv and stereo hook up and posted them on this thread, that would help.

bayman88
01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
thanks for all the help, i have the direct tv box audio out on direct box to tv sound
on jvc receiver red and white rca cables, only speaker hooked up is center speakers
plug into front speakers nothing, rear speakers nothing. front of receiver has surround mode button
pressing this goes to dolby, light goes on pro logic, press again stays on dolby, light goes to
3 ch logic, press again hall, hall lights up. tried all these modes with front speakers hooked
up, nothing

Mr Peabody
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
You mean to tell us you only have one speaker hooked up? How do you expect to hear anything else if only one speaker is hooked up? In case you are serious you have to have speakers hooked into front and rear if you want all channels to work.

bayman88
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
no, what im saying is when the other speakers are hooked up they dont work
they were tested and do work, just not on this system im tryin to hook up

Mr Peabody
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I thought something was wrong there. You did say the mains work with the radio right? Again, what input on the receiver are you using with the TV? What sound modes are on the receiver? Also, look at the set up menu to see where the internal volume settings are set. The center, mains and rears should have independent settings for balancing the levels. Maybe center is jacked up a lot higher. Until everything is set try putting all the volume levels to zero.

bayman88
01-21-2010, 04:51 AM
thanks for your time Mr Peabody. should the internal or tv speakers be shut
down when using surround sound??? if not what would be a good setting for them
im gettin close now, im also gettin old !!!!!

Mr Peabody
01-21-2010, 06:01 AM
I mute mine because the quality isn't nearly as good and it interferes with the surround. If the TV seems of high quality on par with your surround and you don't have a true surround you might blend them with your other speakers to see how you like the sound. Most TV speakers are inferior to hi fi though.

There's a few exceptions like my mom's old school Mitsubishi rear projection TV they put some big speakers in there and it could keep up with entry level systems I'd say.

bayman88
01-21-2010, 09:52 AM
gave up today, i tried everything!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Peabody
01-21-2010, 08:12 PM
I thought you were making headway. If there is a A/B speaker selector for the mains, did you make sure the button was pushed in?

Did you pick this receiver up some where or it was yours and you decided to hook it up after a while? If you know it works we can keep trying if you wish. I can try a search to see if I can find a manual or more info on the receiver. Let me know.

bayman88
01-22-2010, 04:16 AM
thanks again, i use to be a wiz at this stuff, yes, both a&b speakers are activated
this unit i purchased from a friend awhile back, hardly used, worked flawlessly
funny thing, i had a denon receiver under my tv, when i decided to hook up
surround sound i went with the jvc, as a matter of fact, i had it hooked up
to fisher 3 way speakers, worked great, the denon had really no
center speaker or rear speaker hookup but plenty of speaker hookups
maybe i should try with that one.

Mr Peabody
01-22-2010, 06:07 AM
The Denon sounds like only a stereo receiver and would not be surround sound. Did you look into the JVC's set up menu? Find the speaker level controls I was talking about? Is the same problem happening when playing a DVD?