Pc Speaker Upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pc Speaker Upgrade

windsurfer
01-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey everyone. I have a few question regarding my Sound system. I don't know too much about speakers so i have come here for advice. I am a mechanical engineering student however so im competent in electronic/wave forms etc

I have decided it time to rectify my audio situation. My currenty set up consists of a Sound Blaster Audigy SE connected to a set of Logitech z-2300 speakers. I have loved this set up but after some abuse last year (House parties) one of the satellite is partially blown. Logitech sent me a replacement pair which i promptly sold. I was supposed to send back the control pod but kinda forgot :biggrin5: . I have therefore being using the set just without turning up the volume to much. Lately the blown satellite is getting worst which is annoying the hell out of me.

Im a student so buying a high quality amp + bookshelf + Sub etc is really out of the question. I use my pc for everything from games to movies to listening to music. I dont spend a minute in my room without listening music. Also the music i listen to is very varied. From classical to Dubstep!!

My first thought was to buy a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers to replace the logitech satellites. Something like this:
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/279/359/-/3317367/Sony-SS-B1000-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speakers/Product.html?searchtype=genre

They are 8ohms like my current ones and would be very easy to change. What i was wondering is how they would sound? Obviously the logitech amp is not the best? I do love the sub (well the power of it). I would have to have a sub in my new setup.

Another option which is was very close to doing (pretty much ordered them) was buying the z5500? I just stopped due to the realization of do i really need them? Although i am again thinking about them especially if i can find a relatively cheap price for them.

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks, Tom

blackraven
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
What is your budget Tom?

windsurfer
01-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Well the z-5500 are £250 pounds. Thats is the absolute max i would spend. I hate being a student sometimes!

blackraven
01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
If you like the sound of the logitec's buy them. If you want to go with more traditional stereo gear then look for a cheap used HT receiver and buy a small pair of book shelf speakers.

windsurfer
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. Thats the thing do they sound good? These are the best speakers i have owned. There could be much better options out there. Like i said though not sure i could live without a sub?

blackraven
01-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Here a link with user reviews for the Logitech's. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120 They seem to be very good for what they are.

I would prefer a 2 ch or 2.1 true speaker and receiver system. Or a pair of these Audio Engine's http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php

audio amateur
01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I believe the z-2300 use 2" Tang Band drivers. You could try finding them at parts-express.com

windsurfer
01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks audio amateur. I did spend spend a long time researching replacement drivers. I did find the tang bands as replacements its just i live in the uk and seems next to impossible to get them here.

blackraven - have been doing a little more research and i was thinking about the audio-engine 2 speakers. The 5's are a little expensive and big for my desk. I know the sub is muddy etc but i could just keep my logitech sub for dubstep/dnb. When listening to classic/rock etc i could primary use the audioengines?

EDIT: The audioengine 2 use the same tweeter as the 5's and have a kevlar woofers?

EDIT2: They are a little on the powerless side though? Only 15 watts instead of the 40 i currently have!

02audionoob
01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
How about M-Audio BX8a...

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/StudiophileBX8aDeluxe.html

or BX5a...

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/StudiophileBX5aDeluxe.html

Ajani
01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
How about M-Audio BX8a...

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/StudiophileBX8aDeluxe.html

or BX5a...

http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/StudiophileBX5aDeluxe.html

I'll second the BX5A suggestion... I own a pair and find them to be excellent value for money... IMO a good pair of active speakers will give you the most value for your money...

windsurfer
01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys. The BX5A do look very nice!
Presume i would need a cable like this to connect it to my sound card:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMP15

Its still the lack of sub? I doubt connecting my logitech sub to the sub output of the soundcard will sound any good!! Chances they will be in phase with the M-audio's is very slim right? The M-audio sub looks amazing but they are very expensive!

audio amateur
01-20-2010, 03:46 AM
The problem with coupling the sub with the active monitors is that you'll get unaturally high bass in the 50-100Hz because the subwoofer's cut-off frequency is quite high given the fact that the 2" TB drivers can't reach very low. But you seem to like your bass so you probably won't mind. My suggestion would be to look for second hand equipment on ebay (an old Nad or Rotel stereo amp) with some speakers but this will take up a little room so you have to be ok with that (mind you it won't take up much more room that a pair of active monitors). I got me a Rotel RA-810A amp from the late 80's on ebay for 30 quid and it works great.

As for parts-express they might be able to ship internationally. If you do go that route make sure you have a good look at your existing drivers and make sur they're identical (or close to). Good luck

windsurfer
02-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. After much thinking i went for the M-audio BX5A's. They should arrive tomorrow. I will use my logitech amp for the time being. Im not planning to use it much and i fully understand about the strange crossovers.

I will give you my thoughts when they arrive.

Tom

audio amateur
02-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. After much thinking i went for the M-audio BX5A's. They should arrive tomorrow. I will use my logitech amp for the time being. Im not planning to use it much and i fully understand about the strange crossovers.

I will give you my thoughts when they arrive.

Tom
Just for clarification, you're going to use the logitech amp for the sub only, right? Because the BX5's are active monitors and don't need an amp (as it is built in).
Let us know how it goes

windsurfer
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Just for clarification, you're going to use the logitech amp for the sub only, right?
Hah. Yer of course.

Right so the BX5A's arrived today and i am so grateful for the advice on this forum. The arrived in a box slightly bigger that i expected and it had a nice weight to it. The build quality of the these speakers is exceptional and they look amazing on my desk. They are a nice size and dont take up to much room.

Now to the sound quality. Its unbelievable!! I know im no expert but still. Spent the whole day listening to music with a massive smile on my face! :14:. Songs which i haven't heard for ages are now seen in an entire new light! The also are loud and easily maintain their quality!

I am using my Logitech sub for the moment. Its not set very load but for certain music i do enjoy the vibrations it produces (this is what i believe headphones lack).

All i can say for any body reading this thread is DONT even think about Logitech/Bose computer speakers.
My housemate has the companion 3's and they are no comparison to these. For cheaper you can buy something that doesn't compare to "normal" pc speakers" . My BX5A's cost just over £150 pounds (pair) with a gold plated lead and postage!!

Again thanks for the advice guys. You have made me very happy! :biggrin5:

Feanor
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Hah. Yer of course.

Right so the BX5A's arrived today and i am so grateful for the advice on this forum. The arrived in a box slightly bigger that i expected and it had a nice weight to it. The build quality of the these speakers is exceptional and they look amazing on my desk. They are a nice size and dont take up to much room.

Now to the sound quality. Its unbelievable!! I know im no expert but still. Spent the whole day listening to music with a massive smile on my face! :14:. Songs which i haven't heard for ages are now seen in an entire new light! The also are loud and easily maintain their quality!

I am using my Logitech sub for the moment. Its not set very load but for certain music i do enjoy the vibrations it produces (this is what i believe headphones lack).

All i can say for any body reading this thread is DONT even think about Logitech/Bose computer speakers.
My housemate has the companion 3's and they are no comparison to these. For cheaper you can buy something that doesn't compare to "normal" pc speakers" . My BX5A's cost just over £150 pounds (pair) with a gold plated lead and postage!!

Again thanks for the advice guys. You have made me very happy! :biggrin5:
Congrats, Windsurfer, and enjoy.

Self-powered monitors, such as the BX5A's, just make TOO MUCH SENSE as an alternative to even "high-end" computer speakers. In general the former will simply crush the latter.

eastcoaster
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
first of all i'd leave logitech alone if you want good sound and go with a lowbudget surround sound system.there's lots of them out there with good lows and highs .shop around. i recently bought a rca home theatre system for $200 canadian new .good system for the money you'll pay.the all you have to do is run it from your headset jack on your pc to you inputs on the back of your receiver.all you need to do is get a splitter so you can run it to you left and right side channels.you can get patch cords to for anything.once you hear your pc through an av receiver you'll never go back to logitech again

Feanor
02-09-2010, 07:21 AM
first of all i'd leave logitech alone if you want good sound and go with a lowbudget surround sound system.there's lots of them out there with good lows and highs .shop around. i recently bought a rca home theatre system for $200 canadian new .good system for the money you'll pay.the all you have to do is run it from your headset jack on your pc to you inputs on the back of your receiver.all you need to do is get a splitter so you can run it to you left and right side channels.you can get patch cords to for anything.once you hear your pc through an av receiver you'll never go back to logitech again
HTIB ... shoot me now!

(Just kidding!)

blackraven
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
HTIB ... shoot me now!

(Just kidding!)

Do you want my Mossberg 930 shotgun to the head or the 9mm M9 Baretta! The 9mm will leave less of a mess. I'll use the 9mm on myself when i'm done.