Creative Soundblaster Plug-In [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Creative Soundblaster Plug-In

poppachubby
01-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Hey guys. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum. I realised yesterday that it won't allow me to load FLAC into the library. This means I have no access to these files with my remote control. I have been searching for a plug-in, but so far no luck. Any suggestions? I have a heap of beautiful FLAC jazz files that I want to access with the remote.

JoeESP9, does the X-Fi suffer the same problem?

harley .guy07
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I just started using flac and I would not know unless you go to creatives web site and look for add ons for you sound card driver that would allow it. otherwise I would not know

JoeE SP9
01-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I could never get FLAC files to play properly. I've been using AVS audio converter to convert them them to wav files. AVS is freeware!

poppachubby
01-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys. I'll need your HD space before I can convert. I have been playing my FLAC stuff in VLC player. What a PITA...

JoeE SP9
01-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Until I got some FLAC files from you I had never really tried. I had downloaded some 24/96 FLAC files from HD Tracks but I had converted them to wav files before playing them.

poppachubby
01-20-2010, 04:15 AM
FLAC is ideal. The best of all worlds. Excellent quality and great for storage. Alot of these proprietary devices are just settling into MP3, could be a while before we see FLAC catch on.

Feanor
01-20-2010, 06:22 AM
FLAC is ideal. The best of all worlds. Excellent quality and great for storage. Alot of these proprietary devices are just settling into MP3, could be a while before we see FLAC catch on.
Stick with FLAC, if you can, for these reasons.

I very strongly suspect that WAV's sound superiority is delusional on the part of those who believe in it. My music machine use only 2% of CPU, with the occassional spike to 5%, to play 16/44.1 FLACs in Foobar2000. Of course, higher rez or DSP would increase that a bit. At the same time, latency averages only about 60 uS on my old, slow, XP with only 512k of RAM. In Foobar I set a small, 100k input buffer.

poppachubby
01-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Yes, I'll just have to organize the files so playback is as easy as possible. MP3 loaded into the remote capability, FLAC into the VLC. Creative really are a double edged sword. On one hand a great product, but the software is a real dissapointment.