setting up DVD player for Sony CRT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : setting up DVD player for Sony CRT

paulv
01-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I have a Pioneer DVD player hooked up to my 27" Sony Wega CRT. With no sound system other than the 2 built-in TV speakers, what are the choices I need to make in my Players setup options? My Wega has SRS output option. If I want to use this does it matter what my DVD settings are? Either way how should I be configuring the DVD players' settings to get the most out of the sound. I understand that my TV speakers are not worth anything, nevertheless, I would like to make heads or tails out of the stuff below:

Here are the options:

Initial Settings Menu...

-Linear PCM Out - Down Sample On or OFF
-MPEG Out - MPEG > PCM or MPEG as is.

Audio Settings Menu...

-Audio DRC - High, Medium, Low, Off (Digital Out must be set to ON and Dolby Digital Out should be set to "Dolby Digital > PCM)
-Virtual Surround - On/Off (if ON then 96kHz linear PCM is downsampled to 48kHz)
-Audio Output must be set to "2 channel" to use Virtual Surround

Note in Manual:
-If player is outputting Dolby Digital, DTS or MPEG bitstream audio (no conversion to PCM) Virtual Surround has no effect on audio from digital output.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Feanor
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I have a Pioneer DVD player hooked up to my 27" Sony Wega CRT. With no sound system other than the 2 built-in TV speakers, what are the choices I need to make in my Players setup options? My Wega has SRS output option. If I want to use this does it matter what my DVD settings are? Either way how should I be configuring the DVD players' settings to get the most out of the sound. I understand that my TV speakers are not worth anything, nevertheless, I would like to make heads or tails out of the stuff below:

Here are the options:

Initial Settings Menu...

Audio Settings Menu...

-Audio DRC - High, Medium, Low, Off (Digital Out must be set to ON and Dolby Digital Out should be set to "Dolby Digital > PCM)
-Virtual Surround - On/Off (if ON then 96kHz linear PCM is downsampled to 48kHz)

Note in Manual:
-If player is outputting Dolby Digital, DTS or MPEG bitstream audio (no conversion to PCM) Virtual Surround has no effect on audio from digital output.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Paul, welcome to AR forums.

I don't have a Sony CRT nor a Pioneer DVD, but I am curious about your situation.

The options above seem to pertain to the DVD player's digital output via optical or coaxial cable. I would suspect that the Sony CRT has only analog inputs, (I could be wrong). But assuming my guess is right, none of the above will make any difference.

My good ol' Samsung CRT has provides only analog sound input via Left & Right (white & red) RCA jacks. Assuming the Sony is basically the same, your only option is the pair of analog stereo outputs from the DVD.

pixelthis
01-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Here are the options:

Initial Settings Menu...

Audio Settings Menu...

Note in Manual:

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Select downconversion and plug the left/right audio plugs into the TV.
All you will get is stereo.
Doesnt matter, tho, because I have never seen any really decent TV speakers,
outside of a RPTV.:1:

paulv
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
So with only analogue inputs on my Sony Wega, the TV will not use any of the DVDs output modes. Ofcourse the tv's speakers are not worthy of any effort in this respect, I understand. Even if I had a standard (old fashion) analogue stereo amplifier hooked up to the DVD player, the situation is the same? Do I need a "home theater" system to take advantage of all these digital audio features?

paulv
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Paul, welcome to AR forums.

I don't have a Sony CRT nor a Pioneer DVD, but I am curious about your situation.

The options above seem to pertain to the DVD player's digital output via optical or coaxial cable. I would suspect that the Sony CRT has only analog inputs, (I could be wrong). But assuming my guess is right, none of the above will make any difference.

My good ol' Samsung CRT has provides only analog sound input via Left & Right (white & red) RCA jacks. Assuming the Sony is basically the same, your only option is the pair of analog stereo outputs from the DVD.

Feanor,
Yes ofcourse you are right.. my Sony only accepts analogue inputs. Will any of the players settings interfere or distort this analogue output through the tv? It seemed to me that when I had the TV's "SRS" option ON, the sound wasn't that good. Seemed like I was getting some drop out... ? I'll try my DVD players' "downsample" feature ON.

pixelthis
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
So with only analogue inputs on my Sony Wega, the TV will not use any of the DVDs output modes. Ofcourse the tv's speakers are not worthy of any effort in this respect, I understand. Even if I had a standard (old fashion) analogue stereo amplifier hooked up to the DVD player, the situation is the same? Do I need a "home theater" system to take advantage of all these digital audio features?

You need a HT to get 5.1 sound.
But even a plain "stereo" bought at a thrift store would be a huge improvement
over TV speakers, anything would, TV speakers are at the bottom of the food chain, nowhere to go but up from there.:1: