Yamaha Natural Sound CDC-575 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Natural Sound CDC-575

poppachubby
01-18-2010, 03:52 AM
Hey Guys. I have never been a big CD fan. As a result I have owned a revolving door of questionable players.

I recently bought a used Denon 5 disc carousel from a Goodwill. It did a great job at playing the disc but was extremely noisy. I don't have the budget to justify a purchase, especially since it's not my first choice in terms of medium.

I was at a local shop and they were trying their hardest to push a used Cambridge D300 on me. Man I was tempted. They wanted $100, and I know it's worth it but again, it's not in my budget plans.

http://www.hifiinfo.de/img/geraete/cambridge_d300.jpg

Just as I was about to leave, realising that I wasn't biting. They offered me a Yamaha CDC-575 that came in with a pile of components as trade in. Since it's old and not "the greatest", they wanted it gone. $10? Sold!!

I have it outputting digitally (toslink) to my computer, which in turn processes through the dac. I am really impressed! I know alot of guys will groan and moan at the suggestion, but this thing sounds great. No noise whatsoever, even when using the play/exchange feature. The sound is indeed quite "natural" as the name suggests.

The other thing I noticed is when playing a shoddy CDR or poor recording, the 575 exposes the sonic weaknesses. So it's at least good enough to reproduce those differences.

I checked on audioreview and saw a heap of reviews for it, all along the same lines. So, for now, it's a Yamaha for me. Vintage fans, keep an eye out for this one!

kexodusc
01-18-2010, 06:58 AM
I have that same player in my garage. I get a lot of use out of it during summer. It works as a decent transport (which is basically what you're using it as with an external DAC) but I find it a bit harsher sounding when using the RCA's...still, not terrible. Doesn't capture quite as much resolution as better playes, but it sounds better than Marantz and Technics players I've had.

I bought mine used in 2000 I believe when I lived in Maine. Its survived at least 7 cold winters in Maine/Canada in my garage. Top marks for durability.

At $10, well played.

poppachubby
01-18-2010, 07:12 AM
It works as a decent transport (which is basically what you're using it as with an external DAC)

I won't use an old CDP without a digital output. I'd just as soon listen to vinyl. Thanks for the reply kex!

E-Stat
01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
I recently bought a used Denon 5 disc carousel from a Goodwill. It did a great job at playing the disc but was extremely noisy. ..I have it outputting digitally (toslink) to my computer, which in turn processes through the dac. I am really impressed! I know alot of guys will groan and moan at the suggestion, but this thing sounds great.
Changers can be just fine when you bypass the typically poor analog output stage. I use a Pioneer Elite 300 disc changer in the garage as a transport and feed through a Manley DAC with a tube output stage directly to a Threshold Stasis amp.

rw

Worf101
01-21-2010, 06:58 AM
I've owned the Yammie 575, the 675 and their current carosel as well. They're about the only CD player's I've ever owned. Rock solid, decent analog out (sorry I've gone back and forth between the Yammie and my Oppo BDP and I really have a hard time hearing the difference) and good digital out. Rock solid, impossible to kill, I abuse them mightily, keeping em on pause for days at a time. I too the 575 and put it in a friends coffee house 4 years ago and it's still going strong. You just can't kill dem things!!!!!

Worf

poppachubby
01-21-2010, 09:21 AM
I've owned the Yammie 575, the 675 and their current carosel as well. They're about the only CD player's I've ever owned. Rock solid, decent analog out (sorry I've gone back and forth between the Yammie and my Oppo BDP and I really have a hard time hearing the difference) and good digital out. Rock solid, impossible to kill, I abuse them mightily, keeping em on pause for days at a time. I too the 575 and put it in a friends coffee house 4 years ago and it's still going strong. You just can't kill dem things!!!!!

Worf

Thanks Worf, good to know! Sounds like I shouldn't be so modest about my purchase after all. I don't listen to CD's much, so it has sat idle for the most part. CD's in the car mostly. At home, it's digital files or vinyl. but mostly vinyl these days.

Worf101
01-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks Worf, good to know! Sounds like I shouldn't be so modest about my purchase after all. I don't listen to CD's much, so it has sat idle for the most part. CD's in the car mostly. At home, it's digital files or vinyl. but mostly vinyl these days.
Don't be shy. Just be honest with yourself and others (I also try to be polite) and most things, even discussions in cyberspace, tend to turn out jest fine.

Worf

thekid
01-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Pops

Sounds like you got a winner there and at a great price.

dakatabg
01-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I just got the Yamaha RX-V870. They will be a great combo!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QYy82HRkTMM/S1TdORRQMzI/AAAAAAAADXo/PhdWEfFghXk/s800/IMG_6129.JPG

poppachubby
01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I just got the Yamaha RX-V870. They will be a great combo!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_QYy82HRkTMM/S1TdORRQMzI/AAAAAAAADXo/PhdWEfFghXk/s800/IMG_6129.JPG

Ya you're right dak, they would look mint together. I think you should ship that amp to me, since I got the CD player first.

dakatabg
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
I think you should ship that amp to me, since I got the CD player first.

This receiver is probably over 20 pounds! It is so heavy but sounds amazing. More likely is you to ship me the cd player :cornut: :yesnod: :thumbsup: :smilewinkgrin:

blackraven
01-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Pops, you need to listen to a Marantz SA8001 or 8003 SACD player. If you do, it will make you appreciate Cd's more. It has a very non digital warm sound. Its very analog like in its presentation. Also, once you get your Golden Tube up and running and pair it with a tube or hybrid preamp, you may find yourself listening to more Cd's than vinyl.

By the way Pops, is the Golden tube amp modified?

jrhymeammo
01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I own CDC-845 and I prefer it over the SA8001.
Yammy sounds great thru numerous gear I've owned, but perhaps I just haven't found a right match yet.

But I should receive a preamp this week, so perhaps I'll favor the Marantz over the Yammie this time...
Also, CDC-845 has a remote controlled variable outputs, so music sounds great plugged straight into power amps.

JRA

jjp735i
01-28-2010, 06:30 AM
I found in the trash a yamaha cdc 909, I think thats the number, about 10 years ago. Nothing wanted to play on it so I took the top off and gave a good cleaning and lube and it's been my faithfull cd player every since. I'm a little bias when it comes to yamaha, because both my receiver cr-620 and cassette player K-550 I bought as a child around 1978 are still playing strong.

Good luck with your find.

jjp

Wife-hates-my-hobby
02-19-2010, 08:21 AM
It is truly amazing on how cheap some audio pieces are becoming lately, nice buy popps. I had a bit o' luck about a week ago and snagged a minty pair of Polk RTA 11 TL's for $100. These speaks don't even look like they were taken out of boxes (made in 91).

poppachubby
02-21-2010, 03:20 AM
It is truly amazing on how cheap some audio pieces are becoming lately, nice buy popps. I had a bit o' luck about a week ago and snagged a minty pair of Polk RTA 11 TL's for $100. These speaks don't even look like they were taken out of boxes (made in 91).

Great score. I'm not a big Polk fan, but for that find I could just become one. Nice handle and welcome to the site...

Wife-hates-my-hobby
02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm a love em and hate em type when it comes to Polk. The RTA and SDA line ups are truly great speakers for 2 channel set-ups.