Reasonbly priced CD player: Onkyo 7555, NAD 545, Cambridge 640C v2, or Yamaha CD-S700 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reasonbly priced CD player: Onkyo 7555, NAD 545, Cambridge 640C v2, or Yamaha CD-S700

iRaver
01-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new cd player for my Yamaha 596 stereo amp and Audio Pro E6 speakers. Music - techno, breaks, rock, classical, jazz
I thought about Onkyo 7555, NAD 545 and Cambridge 640C v2. What do you think about them? Then recently I've been told that Yamaha CD-S700 will be the best option if I want to keep my Yamaha amp. So which do you think is the best one?

Thanks a lot for your attention,

Best regards

kexodusc
01-18-2010, 05:10 AM
What is your budget? I've been surprised at how good Yamaha CD players are, but I don't think I could put them in the same category as NAD or Cambridge players I've heard. Of this list, I've been more impressed by Cambridge Audio than NAD or Yamaha.

I recently purchased a new CD player and I've been very happy with it. It's definitley better than the older Yamaha CD changer I have:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=32833

I think Mr. Peabody compared it to the NAD 545 favorably somewhere in this thread too:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31778&highlight=emotiva

iRaver
01-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Thx a lot for your reply. I heard that Cambriges are rather unreliable but they are now sold for half-price which certainly makes them more attractive.
As for budget, it;s hard to say, cause I'm from Russia and the prices are higher. Let's assume it some 500 - 600$

harley .guy07
01-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Another option you might not have thought about is the Emotiva ERC-1 From what I have heard from people on this site is that this player easily keeps up with or beats any of the players you have mentioned and the player sells for 400 bucks. there have been extensive reviews and comparisons with this player and many players double its price and the Emotiva always seems to either win or at least keep up which is a good showing for a 400 dollar player. And they have a 30 day money back guarantee in case you do not like the sound but I have not heard of anyone that has been unhappy with it especially for the money spent. I know that I have heard people say it sounds better than the cambridge and NAD players but that was just a couple of people and their opinions and I know that everyone has opinions but there seems to be a strong good thought about this player with about every audiophile that has got his hands on one. Just an option

harley .guy07
01-18-2010, 06:03 AM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=32833

this is a link to the emotiva compared to a Arcam cd player that is around 850 bucks and the Emotiva wins. Just something to read to give you some insite

LeRoy
01-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a NAD 545 and I would encourage you to stay away from this model. It does pace nice and bass is prominent but overall is sounds really dull and lifeless. Also, the first unit I had started randomly skipping to the next track without me even touching the remote control or the buttons on the unit. I was not the only one who had this unit that shared the same skipping problem.

Like Harley said....give Emotiva a look.

Mr Peabody
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Looks like Harley and Kex had the same idea :) As mentioned on another thread Emotiva does sell internationally. You'd have to contact them on shipping cost. I agree, the ERC-1 would be better than anything on that list.

iRaver
01-19-2010, 02:26 AM
Ok, thx a lot. I sent them a letter on how much the shipping will cost. If the price is reasonable. i'll consider it more carefully.