Long optical runs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Long optical runs?

noddin0ff
01-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has tried some long optical runs for audio connection. I'd like to run toslink from computer to stereo but they are on opposite sides of the room. I see 25ft cables for sale (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-949). Any one run this far? Any realistic problems with this? Thanks!

kexodusc
01-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I have noticed some weird sounds, ticks for lack of a better word, and some distortion - I have a 30 ft run. It winds and bends because it runs out to the garage. I think I am going to replace it with a coaxial this summer, any noise it picks up would be preferable to the stuff I get sometimes now...

I suppose if the Dayton cables are of high enough quality maybe they would perform better? Maybe you won't have to bend as much...in other words, YMMV.

poppachubby
01-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Hey noddin. I have a run of Toslink that's 5 meters, approx 16 feet. I never had any issues with it, I do prefer coax however. Over such a great distance, the coax tends to be shielded better, and less fickle in response to environment.

If you have an option between both, go with the coaxial.

noddin0ff
01-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm looking to hook up a mac mini (to be purchased) so coax is not an easy option. I agree and would prefer coax for this run, which should be a mostly straight though. I've used shorter Dayton toslink cables and they seem to be nicely made. I'm guessing what makes the biggest difference for long runs is strength of the light at the source (in addition to bendy-ness of the run and quality of 'glass' or whatever they make the optic path out of, of course). I suppose I would give it a go anyway if everyone said 'no way'. I can always fall back to wireless.

poppachubby
01-18-2010, 06:33 AM
With a decent cable, you'll be fine.

Feanor
01-18-2010, 07:52 AM

I suppose if the Dayton cables are of high enough quality maybe they would perform better? Maybe you won't have to bend as much...in other words, YMMV.
I went for a Dayton glass Toslink and it works well -- then again it's only 3'.

Blue Jeans Cable provide plastic Toslink that they claim is good to 50' (but significantly they don't mention longer distances). See HERE (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm).