Blu-Spec Cd's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Spec Cd's

blackraven
01-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I recently bought a Blu-Spec Cd Classical Sampler from www.eastwindimports.com and I'm impressed with it. The CD comes with both, a standard Cd and the Blu-Spec so you can compare and hear the difference. The difference is apparent, the BS Cd sounds better. It seems more dynamic, slightly better resolution and detail. I can hear the difference on my reference system but its not so apparent on my secondary system.

So is it worth the money for slightly better sound, to me it is. I own several XRCD's and I'll probably buy a few more Blu-Spec's which are similar to the SHM-CD

http://www.eastwindimport.com/default.asp?categoryname=Blu-spec+CD

Mr Peabody
01-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Why do they call it "Blu" spec? Related to BD or piggy backing?

blackraven
01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Read about it in the eastwind link. They use a blue laser in the cutting process.

poppachubby
01-15-2010, 02:55 AM
the BS Cd sounds better

Hahahaha, they better find a better shortened name. BS won't sell too many discs.

Feanor
01-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Read about it in the eastwind link. They use a blue laser in the cutting process.
Yeah, and there have been other schemes that claim, and may indeed, produce more perfect pits on CD surface. But let's remember a couple of things:

The commercial product isn't itself burned by the blue laser, only the die that is used to stamp it. And if I'm not mistaken, die production isn't direct but requires a positive to negative step. Hence the there's various opportunities to insinuate shoddy quality before the final product plops off the assembly line.
Bit-perfect output does not require that the pits on the CD surface be perfect; only that they be good enough. This "anlogic" thinking, that demands perfection of every production step, doesn't necessarily apply to digital reproduction.Of course perhaps more perfect bits will reduce jitter, but I don't know that for certain. What I do know is "jitter" is evoked as the explaination for a myriad of sound differences, many of which are only in the mind of the listener.

blackraven
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah, and there have been other schemes that claim, and may indeed, produce more perfect pits on CD surface. But let's remember a couple of things:

The commercial product isn't itself burned by the blue laser, only the die that is used to stamp it. And if I'm not mistaken, die production isn't direct but requires a positive to negative step. Hence the there's various opportunities to insinuate shoddy quality before the final product plops off the assembly line.
Bit-perfect output does not require that the pits on the CD surface be perfect; only that they be good enough. This "anlogic" thinking, that demands perfection of every production step, doesn't necessarily apply to digital reproduction.Of course perhaps more perfect bits will reduce jitter, but I don't know that for certain. What I do know is "jitter" is evoked as the explaination for a myriad of sound differences, many of which are only in the mind of the listener.

You can clearly hear the slight improvement in sound between the 2 sampler disc's on my Maggies and reference system, not so with my Monitor audio system. I don't believe its the placebo effect otherwise I would have heard the improvement with the Monitor Audio's. I would not recommend the BS Cd's unless you have a revealing system.

Feanor
01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
You can clearly hear the slight improvement in sound between the 2 sampler disc's on my Maggies and reference system, not so with my Monitor audio system. I don't believe its the placebo effect otherwise I would have heard the improvement with the Monitor Audio's. I would not recommend the BS Cd's unless you have a revealing system.
If indeed possible that more perfectly pitted CDs can produce better sound -- I dare say they might -- their distribution is at market segmentation stage. That is, as stage at which those who can and willing pay more for improvements are being skimmed in the interest of maximum profit. If I'm right that blue laser burning is used to create dies, not the final product itself, then there is little cost-relevant reason why all CDs couldn't be blu-spec.

Cynic that I am, I wonder whether the Blu-spec CDs are truly comparable to the standard CDs. Perhaps they are mastered differently, e.g. like SACDs, where even on the same hybrid disc the DSD and Red Book PCM layers are usually from different masters.

Feanor
01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Hahahaha, they better find a better shortened name. BS won't sell too many discs.
Got news for ya, PC. BS sells an awful lot of stuff.