A very very good man died today. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A very very good man died today.

frenchmon
01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
So said to report that Teddy Pendergrass has died today.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/01/14/rb-great-teddy-pendergrass-dead-at-59-after-cancer-battle/

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2930/3178331331783318slarge8.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/3178331331783318slarge8.jpg/)

I loved his music with Harold Melvin and the Blue notes and then his solo stuff.

frenchmon

poppachubby
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Awful, fan here too. Odd, I was just listening to Simply Red's album A New Flame on vinyl. This contains the hit "If You Don't Know Me By Now" which of course was sung by Pendergrass with the Blue Notes originally. Not sure if alot of people know that...shame...

frenchmon
01-14-2010, 05:32 PM
I'll tell you, "Turn out the lights" bring back plenty of memories. I'm not sure that many here are Pendergrass fans.

frenchmon

poppachubby
01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I rarely see any discussion of Soul/RandB or Funk. They are all still hip and happenin forms of music, just as relevant as ever. Never mind how much has been borrowed from these genres to make rock music and hip hop sound interesting. Oh well, we have each other frenchy lol...

frenchmon
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I rarely see any discussion of Soul/RandB or Funk. They are all still hip and happenin forms of music, just as relevant as ever. Never mind how much has been borrowed from these genres to make rock music and hip hop sound interesting. Oh well, we have each other frenchy lol...

Yeah I hear ya PappaC. Although when I was at Mr.Peabodys house he had alots of soul and R&B...I mean he had some old stuff from the 70's. Shoot....MrPeabody even has some old Pearl Baily! Can you believe that?

frenchmon

poppachubby
01-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah I hear ya PappaC. Although when I was at Mr.Peabodys house he had alots of soul and R&B...I mean he had some old stuff from the 70's. Shoot....MrPeabody even has some old Pearl Baily! Can you believe that?

frenchmon

Well, I know he's a collector, but I thought he was all about the rock. Peabody's got some motion in the ocean huh? I can dig it...

Actually Worf is all about the funk. So I am wrong I guess...

blackraven
01-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I used to play T.P. for the ladies back in my college days. Most of the girls never heard of him but they sure liked him.

frenchmon
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, I know he's a collector, but I thought he was all about the rock. Peabody's got some motion in the ocean huh? I can dig it...

Actually Worf is all about the funk. So I am wrong I guess...

Don't know about his motion in the ocean, but hes got some 70's cuts. I've never thought of Mr. Peabody as one to put on some Teddy and get busy....but hey, what can I say....lol!!! PappaC your to funny man.:cornut:

frenchmon

frenchmon
01-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I used to play T.P. for the ladies back in my college days. Most of the girls never heard of him but they sure liked him.

sounds like Raven had the motion in the ocean....now I can dig it....:cornut:

frenchmon

Stone
01-15-2010, 05:48 AM
That's too bad. I have this album, which was the last he did with the Blue Notes, and a good one:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf600/f673/f67367swzqs.jpg

winston
01-15-2010, 09:32 PM
First thing (my condolences to the man's Family" so long "Teddy") hey frenchmon" It's sad" but still a good thread remembering the man.

yes popachubby" that's a Brave and True Statement!! folks just don't give a damn where the music/genres is coming from, IMO' lots a music lovers..."listen" to the music but they don't "hear" the music!!.. therefore the pioneer's gets no respect! even when they're alive.
that said.. as we are paying our respect to "Teddy Pendergrass" I would like mention a few names "Kenny Gamble", "Leon Huff" they are alive and well, these guys are responsible for the late 60s - 70s and early 80s T.S.O.P(the sound of Philadelphia) that's them.... also the house Band M.F.S.B ( mother father sister brother):7: they are the ingredient's for Soul,R & B , Funk... and eventually leads up to the seasoning for Rock & roll.

of course "Motown" is the Grandaddy!! but with (Gamble & Huff 3,000 plus songs and a huge number of Golden records they own that period. with Singers and groups like Teddy P.,The Intruders,Wilson Picket,Dusty Springfield, Joe Simon, the O'Jays, Archie Bell and the Drells. to name a few. (they wrote the hits) BTW" you got me too POP" not just you and Frenchy!!?? LOL. Win.

poppachubby
01-16-2010, 02:35 AM
BTW" you got me too POP" not just you and Frenchy!!?? LOL. Win.

All right daddy-o. I think we need to name our group.

JoeE SP9
01-16-2010, 08:53 AM
A couple of my lady friends are going to TP's viewing. In my "hood" TP was the "sh*t".
On my way downtown that night I drove by the site of his car wreck. I saw his RR sitting in the middle of Wissahickon Creek wheels in the air. This was before any news coverage. The cops had just got there. I knew it was Teddy. Things looked very bad from what I saw going by.

recoveryone
01-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Teddy P was a great lead singer with the blue Notes and gave us the four step plan to get in the mood:

Come Go with Me
Close the Door
Turn Off the Lights
Love TKO

If you did not get it/hit hit then it was not to be with that song line up...lol