Blue-Ray DVD or Sony Play Station 3? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blue-Ray DVD or Sony Play Station 3?

Hal
01-12-2010, 08:57 AM
I am trying to build up a modest inexpensive HT system. I was going to buy a basic Blue-Ray player but then learned that if I stepped up a level or two in price I could get a BRDVD that also had wifi so that I could stream movies and not have to go to the video store.

Now I am told that a Sony Play Station 3 has a built in BRDVD player and wifi capability to do all that I would like.

I do not play video games. Is there any other reason to consider buying a Play Station 3 rather than a BRDVD with wifi?

Thanks.

GMichael
01-12-2010, 09:13 AM
It has a hard drive that lets you store music, pictures, movies etc. You can get previews of movies or download them. You get updates now and then that keep it at the front edge of what's available.
The drawback is that it doesn't have analong 7.1 out. You'll have to use an HDMI cable to get the high res 7.1 music. You can still use the 2.0 analog out for high res 2 channel music or you could use a optical cable for 5.1 normal res sound.

bobsticks
01-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm extremely happy with my PS3 and I'm not a gamer either. An added benifit that hasn't been mentioned is the automatic update system via the internet...keeps you "in the loop" without any effort at all. Great, great machine.

If you find one of the older 60gb models it will play full-rez SACD too.

GMichael
01-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm extremely happy with my PS3 and I'm not a gamer either. An added benifit that hasn't been mentioned is the automatic update system via the internet...keeps you "in the loop" without any effort at all. Great, great machine.

If you find one of the older 60gb models it will play full-rez SACD too.

This is true for the 20GB, 60GB and the first 80GB units (not sure of the newer 80GB), but with BR discs also having high res music capabilities, it almost doesn't matter. Unless you have a SACD collection.

Hal
01-12-2010, 09:55 AM
So if I have HDMI connections and buy the PS3 I should have all the bells and whistles of a Blue-Ray DVD player? Are there any drawbacks to PS3?

How do the streaming movies work? With Netflix you have to pay a monthly fee. But can't you just rent and download a film from Amazon or Blockbuster or via iTunes?

That raises another question. If I buy a file via iTunes will the wifi in a Blue-Ray player or the PS3 let me stream from my laptop to the BRplayer or PS3?

Doesn't Apple make some sort of device that goes with HT and let's you stream films? Would that be better or worse than the PS3?

Sorry for all the varied questions. As you can see I am a novice to all this!

Thank you!

GMichael
01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
So if I have HDMI connections and buy the PS3 I should have all the bells and whistles of a Blue-Ray DVD player? Are there any drawbacks to PS3?
You could end up playing a video game and get addicted. Not that I'm admitting to anything.

How do the streaming movies work? With Netflix you have to pay a monthly fee. But can't you just rent and download a film from Amazon or Blockbuster or via iTunes?
Not sure. Sorry. Others may know.

That raises another question. If I buy a file via iTunes will the wifi in a Blue-Ray player or the PS3 let me stream from my laptop to the BRplayer or PS3?
Probably, but I don't know first hand.

Doesn't Apple make some sort of device that goes with HT and let's you stream films? Would that be better or worse than the PS3?
I'm no help again.

Thank you!

You've been here longer than I have. I'm always glad to help one of the old timers. (even if I didn't help much).

BadAssJazz
01-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Hal,

I suggest heavily researching streaming, if that is a feature that you want.

You should first peruse Netflix and other sites to see which movies are actually available for streaming. Not all of them are. especially the new releases. In the future, or so I've read, more and more new movies will be available for streaming at release, but the libraries are presently severely limited.

Another drawback to streaming is that some rental companies only stream in stereo, not in any of the multi-surround formats. Your receiver may be able to provide a sound field that mimics 5.1 or better, but that's not quite the same thing as having the BR disc.

As for the PS3 vs. the stand alone BD player, my brother has both a Panasonic BD player and the PS3. He almost exclusively uses the PS3. It's simply a matter of personal preference, since performance-wise, they both play Blu Ray movies well.

I, on the other hand, have never owned a PS3 and would never buy one. I like the aesthetics of a stand alone unit as opposed to the crappy techno-geek look of a PS3. Plus, I never wanted my dates (at the time) to think that I was some aging college boy who never grew up and played video games around the clock.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

bfalls
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
The PS3 is a much better player than even the current generation of Blu-ray players. The only drawback I've experienced is noise. There have been times where the noise from my PS3 was easily noticeable while watching a movie. It didn't stop me from watching, or was continuously annoying, but it has been noticeable. However, the noise doesn't affect my recommendation.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-12-2010, 01:56 PM

I can't think of any drawbacks.

With a small investment of $40, a program called playon gives you access to Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, CBS, and a host of other online content. I access my Itunes via the PS3 server, which is software that allows you to stream music from you computer to your PS3. You add to your itunes, and the PS3 server makes it available to stream to the PS3

Absolutely

Not better or worse. The PS3 just gives you a one box solution to everything, mitigating the need for a whole bunch of external boxes that do the same thing.

Thank you!

We all had to start somewhere.

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
WHOA! Hang on here. Now I'm thinking that I should buy a PS3 instead of the BD Player that I just bought. That never even occured to me. How come no one mentioned this option when I was asking questions?

kexodusc
01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
WHOA! Hang on here. Now I'm thinking that I should buy a PS3 instead of the BD Player that I just bought. That never even occured to me. How come no one mentioned this option when I was asking questions?
PS3 is 299...but yeah, way cooler machine.

You have an xbox 360 don't you? Does most of the non-bluRay stuff....if you never use it, then you probably won't use the PS3's added features either..

Invader3k
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
The PS3 is a great machine. It was my first and so far only Blu-Ray player. I am thinking of getting a second one eventually (the new "slim" PS3) and moving the existing one to our bed room. I don't see the point of buying a standaone player unless you absolutely don't care about playing video games at all and don't want the advanced features of the PS3.

The only small (almost insignificant) drawback of the older model PS3 is that it does not bitstream uncompressed audio. You have to use PCM output. This is not a big deal at all and does not affect sound quality at all, as far as I know. The new "slim" PS3 has taken care of this issue, though.

As far as Netflix, you can stream if you have a Netflix account, but you have to use a disc loaded in the PS3. At least that is my understanding...I am not a Netflix subscriber currently.

BadAssJazz
01-12-2010, 06:40 PM
WHOA! Hang on here. How come no one mentioned this option when I was asking questions?

Funny! If someone asked me, I'd probably suggest everything but a PS3. It's just not in my AV lexicon. :smilewinkgrin:

L.J.
01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
PS3 = One of my best HT purchases.....EZ :yesnod:

Hal
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful and informative replies. I will admit that my brain is overloaded since much of this is new to me.

Let me try to organize this logically.

What functions are we talking about on this thread? I'd say:

(1) playing Blue-Ray DVDs,

(2) downloading and playing films,

(3) streaming films without downloading, and

(4) gaming.

Have I covered them all?

The Play Station 3 does all of the above. The 120GB model sells for $299.99 on Amazon at least.

The Samsung BD-P3600 Blue Ray player does not have gaming ability and cannot store downloaded films but does play BRDVDs and permit streaming films. It sells for $219 at Amazon.

So, if I am not interested in games or downloading films I should probably go with a lesser expensive BRDVD player with wifi capability rather than the PS3. Is that the logical conclusion?

(NOTE: I chose Amazon and this Samsung player purely at random. Some of its reviews are not great so I don't know if I'd purchase this model or brand.)

ForeverAutumn
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey Hal. You and I are in similar boats, but I'm about a week ahead of you. Please read this thread, http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=32696, before you consider a Samsung BD player.

I bought the Sony BPD-S560 and paid $219 CDN for it, on sale.

01-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful and informative replies. I will admit that my brain is overloaded since much of this is new to me.

Let me try to organize this logically.

What functions are we talking about on this thread? I'd say:

(1) playing Blue-Ray DVDs,

(2) downloading and playing films,

(3) streaming films without downloading, and

(4) gaming.

Have I covered them all?

The Play Station 3 does all of the above. The 120GB model sells for $299.99 on Amazon at least.

You covered it all!

The Samsung BD-P3600 Blue Ray player does not have gaming ability and cannot store downloaded films but does play BRDVDs and permit streaming films. It sells for $219 at Amazon.

Mr Peabody won't agree with me, but I wouldn't touch any Samsung Blu ray player. If I wasn't going to buy a PS3 (or Oppo for that matter) I would stay with Panasonic, Sony, or Pioneer.

So, if I am not interested in games or downloading films I should probably go with a lesser expensive BRDVD player with wifi capability rather than the PS3. Is that the logical conclusion?

One of the greatest benefits that the PS3 enjoys over all other players is its ability to be upgraded. With all other Blu ray players what you see is all you get. With the PS3, algorythms can be tweaked and improved via firmware upgrades. For example, 3D is the next biggest push, and with a simple firmware upgrade, you know have a 3D player without spending a dime on the player itself (you will need another television). The upscaling algorythms have been vastly improved from when it was first included. The PS3 is all software based, and is not limited to more permament SOC solutions. That means as long as there is enough processing power to handle a application, the PS3 can continue improving its algorythms.

(NOTE: I chose Amazon and this Samsung player purely at random. Some of its reviews are not great so I don't know if I'd purchase this model or brand.)

Unfortunately Samsung has the worst programmers that program their chips, so they are always having disc compatibility problems even in their newer models.

LMB
01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Take a look at the Oppo 83
I have PS3 and just got the Oppo for Christmas picture quality much better
Discs are always better than streaming video.
The up conversion of regular dvd's on the Oppo is GREAT

01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Take a look at the Oppo 83
I have PS3 and just got the Oppo for Christmas picture quality much better
Discs are always better than streaming video.
The up conversion of regular dvd's on the Oppo is GREAT

I also have both, and to describe the PQ as "much better" would be a bit of a stretch. Slightly better might be more appropriate, but not $200 better.

Also you have to consider that he wants to build a inexpensive HT system, and that would pretty much sideline the Oppo at $499 dollars.

LMB
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I also have both, and to describe the PQ as "much better" would be a bit of a stretch. Slightly better might be more appropriate, but not $200 better.

Also you have to consider that he wants to build a inexpensive HT system, and that would pretty much sideline the Oppo at $499 dollars.

Agree for Blu Ray dvd's
However, the upconversion I feel is better

01-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Agree for Blu Ray dvd's
However, the upconversion I feel is better

You are correct at least for now. I was told by a very reliable source inside SCE that the PS3 was going to get a firmware upgrade this year that will give the PS3 upscaling algorythms a very big upgrade. They say it will be comparable to what you get from a tricked out PC based player. So there is a great possibility that the PS3 will be just as good or better at upscaling DVD's than all of the other players out there. The ability to tweak and upgrade is the beauty of the PS3

LMB
01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
You are correct at least for now. I was told by a very reliable source inside SCE that the PS3 was going to get a firmware upgrade this year that will give the PS3 upscaling algorythms a very big upgrade. They say it will be comparable to what you get from a tricked out PC based player. So there is a great possibility that the PS3 will be just as good or better at upscaling DVD's than all of the other players out there. The ability to tweak and upgrade is the beauty of the PS3

Thanks for the info
You can download upgrades to the Oppo via computer or USB

01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info
You can download upgrades to the Oppo via computer or USB

True, but you cannot improve anything related to video side because it is based on a SOC solution. What you see is what you get. I have the Oppo and completely understand how it works. It uses the VRS chip by Anchor Bay, and that chip cannot be improved upon via firmware upgrades. The PS3 does not use chips, it uses software which can be upgraded.

LMB
01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
True, but you cannot improve anything related to video side because it is based on a SOC solution. What you see is what you get. I have the Oppo and completely understand how it works. It uses the VRS chip by Anchor Bay, and that chip cannot be improved upon via firmware upgrades. The PS3 does not use chips, it uses software which can be upgraded.

Thanks for the info
Still prefer the Oppo

pixelthis
01-14-2010, 12:02 PM
But the basic question is, do you want to play games enough to put up with the drawbacks of using a gaming console day in and out(well, a computer disguised as
a gaming console)?
THE PLAYSTATION IS VERSATILE, but a lot of standalone players these days can sream video, so it boils down to, are you a gamer?
Thats really all it amounts to.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM
No it isn't you fvckin dumbass. It's been said over and over here that the BD player in the PS3 is far superior to the players in it's price range, and is easily upgraded via internet. It loads disks faster, provides excellent PQ and can handle the lossles audio formats without batting an eyelash. Take your head out of your ass okay? Just because you don't own one doesn't mean it's only a gamers option. Now admit you're wrong pig.

bobsticks
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Easy characters...

ForeverAutumn
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Uh oh. Rich is drinking coffee again. :nonod:

L.J.
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM

LOL :p

GMichael
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
But the basic question is, do you want to play games enough to put up with the drawbacks of using a gaming console day in and out(well, a computer disguised as
a gaming console)?
THE PLAYSTATION IS VERSATILE, but a lot of standalone players these days can sream video, so it boils down to, are you a gamer?

I believe that the PS/3 also streams video.

Uh Rich? Are you OK man? I could send a couple ladies to help you relax if you like.

L.J.
01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Put up with what drawbacks?

Only thing that comes to mind is the already mentioned lack of analog outputs. If this isn't a problem, you got yourself a KILLER BR player that has all the media center capabilities you could want.

01-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info
Still prefer the Oppo

I am not interested in changing your preferences really. I am just outlining the differences between a software solution and a SOC solution. One is infinitely more flexible than the other, and outlining those differences was my only goal. .

01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
a gaming console)?

I use a gaming console day in and day out, and it has never bothered me or the millions that use the PS3 as a Blu ray player/streaming device.

Most Blu ray players can stream only what widgets are loaded on to them. Netflix, Amazon, or youTube. The PS3 can stream just about anything with Playon, and no other Blu ray player can do that. So you can take the gamer question out, I don't play games on my PS3. It is not limited to that use.

01-14-2010, 07:27 PM

And it looks like he chased that down with a Red Bull as well.

Rich, enhance your calm!

LMB
01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
I am not interested in changing your preferences really. I am just outlining the differences between a software solution and a SOC solution. One is infinitely more flexible than the other, and outlining those differences was my only goal. .
Thank you
Have a good evening

BadAssJazz
01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I leave for 15 minutes and come back to find live ammo being used. Will someone please post a body armor advisory the next time? Sheeesh! :)

GMichael
01-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I leave for 15 minutes and come back to find live ammo being used. Will someone please post a body armor advisory the next time? Sheeesh! :)

Sorry about that. I only rested my eyes for a second, I swear.

pixelthis
01-15-2010, 12:28 PM

I guess the people with the white coats ran outta Thorazine again.
Yes that is the "main" point.
I saw a friends PS3 and it was nice, but didnt have a signifigant edge over dedicated players, IMHO, and my friend didnt like it either, because he didnt play games and
didnt like the compromises , basically just wanted a player to load a disc into.
Thats the most important point, if you're not a gamer you need a dedicated BLU
player, is all I am saying.
NOW call the nurse, and this time remember you're not Sarah Conner running from a terminator, okay?:1:

GMichael
01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I saw a friends PS3 and it was nice, but didnt have a signifigant edge over dedicated players, IMHO, and my friend didnt like it either, because he didnt play games and
didnt like the compromises , basically just wanted a player to load a disc into.
NOW call the nurse, and this time remember you're not Sarah Conner running from a terminator, okay?:1:

What are the the compromises you speak of? It does just as good a job as most BR players and will continue to get better as time goes on. With a BR player, what you have it all you will get. The only compromises I know of is the lack of 7.1 analog out. If all he wants to do is loads the discs and play, it does that, and it does it faster. Gamer or not, it's a great BR player and shouldn't be left off anyone's list for that reason alone. Even if you don't play games, it still does so much more. You might want to take a closer look at all the things it can do.

L.J.
01-15-2010, 02:41 PM
because he didnt play games

Well thank goodness I'm a gamer :ciappa:

01-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Pix, IMHO you are out of your mind.......I have several PS3's and I am not a gamer. Some of us can think out of the box and realize that no dedicated Blu ray player has the flexibility that the PS3 has. Just because it does not look like a traditional disc player, does not make it inferior. It is only sheeple like yourself who are so locked in to traditional dogma that you insist that a good Blu ray player has to look like an ordinary electronic box to be considered good. You are a prime example of a old dog that cannot learn new tricks, or anything for that matter. Why don't you leave comments about the PS3 to those who actually own one. Nobody wants to hear the opinion of your friend filtered through you.

LMB
01-15-2010, 03:47 PM
WoW

Sorry I brought up the OPPO

01-15-2010, 04:07 PM
WoW

Sorry I brought up the OPPO

Meh, the Oppo is not the issue here, it is profound ignorance consistently exibited by one of our oldest senile members.

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2010, 01:16 PM
What SIr T says is EXACTLY right, and is the reason I get so pissed off when dumbass spews his tired old and highly opinionated tripe despite the facts that people here, who actually know something, provide for the members and casual passers-by alike.

To everyone else who's eyes may have bled a bit due to my outburst, I apologize, a little. :smilewinkgrin:

pixelthis
01-17-2010, 08:08 AM
What SIr T says is EXACTLY right, and is the reason I get so pissed off when dumbass spews his tired old and highly opinionated tripe despite the facts that people here, who actually know something, provide for the members and casual passers-by alike.

To everyone else who's eyes may have bled a bit due to my outburst, I apologize, a little. :smilewinkgrin:

YEP, Rich is back on coffee, with one or two lumps of crack?
Believe it or not not everybody is technically oriented, they just want to play a movie,
and with net connected BLU players the difference really boils down to game playing.
Anything else is redundant, you can do with a laptop.
And the blu tooth remote is pretty stupid also, a friend of the non tech type was told by a salesman that a Harmony remote would work with a playstation.
YOU CAN GET a USB adapter, sure, but that ties up your USB, integration into a
unified HT with a single remote is still troublesome.
Sony tried to be a leader with Blu-tooth, and a blu setup HT would be great, but they should have checked to see if anybody else was following.
RICH, THE DOC'S GONNA BE PISSED when he finds out you stole his laptop, speaking of which.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-17-2010, 08:23 AM
This is just dumb.

GMichael
01-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Believe it or not not everybody is technically oriented, they just want to play a movie,
and with net connected BLU players the difference really boils down to game playing.
And the blu tooth remote is pretty stupid also, a friend of the non tech type was told by a salesman that a Harmony remote would work with a playstation.
Sony tried to be a leader with Blu-tooth, and a blu setup HT would be great, but they should have checked to see if anybody else was following.
RICH, THE DOC'S GONNA BE PISSED when he finds out you stole his laptop, speaking of which.:1:

You don't have to play any games on a PS/3. You can just slide your BD in and it starts to play. How much easier can it get?
My PS/3 has 4 USB ports. Tying one up is really no big deal. My remote works just fine.
Not sure why you are so anti PS/3. It's a great option that should at least be explored before being easily dismissed as "just being for gamers". That's a little too narrow minded for me.

01-19-2010, 02:51 PM

Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Pix, go back to your Vizio, you have no experience with he PS3, and that invalidates any opinion you have on the issue.

Bluetooth was perfect for the PS3, as it allows the player to be put out of sight, and still work with a remote. IR signals cannot do that, which is why they went Bluetooth. With four USB connections, having one tied up is no problem. You have two for a keyboard and mouse, and a third for your 3D glasses.

Most net connected Bluray players are confined to set widgets that only allow them to access those sites. Netflix, Blockbuster, Facebook(who needs that in AV) and youTube. The PS3 supports those and perhaps hundreds more streaming sites out there. Hulu is not supported on other Bluray players, and neither are other sites that require a DNLA device for streaming.

Without owning a PS3, you are unqualified to discuss the merits or drawbacks of it versus a standard Blu ray player.

E-Stat
01-19-2010, 04:03 PM
...because he didnt play games and didnt like the compromises , basically just wanted a player to load a disc into.
It's a shame the wife's WII doesn't have the same flexibility. She enjoys the WII-Fit programs and I enjoy some of the games as well. It would have been very convenient for that to be Blu-Ray compatible as well (installed on a 32" Vizio in a spare bedroom).

rw

Rich-n-Texas
01-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Pix, go back to your Vizio, you have no experience with he PS3, and that invalidates any opinion you have on the issue.

Bluetooth was perfect for the PS3, as it allows the player to be put out of sight, and still work with a remote. IR signals cannot do that, which is why they went Bluetooth. With four USB connections, having one tied up is no problem. You have two for a keyboard and mouse, and a third for your 3D glasses.

Most net connected Bluray players are confined to set widgets that only allow them to access those sites. Netflix, Blockbuster, Facebook(who needs that in AV) and youTube. The PS3 supports those and perhaps hundreds more streaming sites out there. Hulu is not supported on other Bluray players, and neither are other sites that require a DNLA device for streaming.

Without owning a PS3, you are unqualified to discuss the merits or drawbacks of it versus a standard Blu ray player.
pix isn't qualified to discuss much of anything on this entire website (Off-Topic section included); wouldn't last a day on the AVS, Audioholics, Home Theater Shack forums, but, here he is... and here we are. :rolleyes:

L.J.
01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
YOU CAN GET a USB adapter, sure, but that ties up your USB,

Harmony BT adapter does not use any USB ports :prrr:

pixelthis
01-21-2010, 10:09 AM

I HAVE HAD PLENTY of "experience" thank you very much.
THEY COST MORE THAN A bLU PLAYER, my friend didnt like his, said it looked like a toy cluttering up his system, he nevere played games, and with his setup would have needed a router and home net to connect the PS3 to the network, which he probably couldnt have figured out.
I dont hate the PS3, just don't want to pay for gaming features I will never use.
Its just not for eveybody, which is just common sense, so why do I GET ATTACKED EVERY TIME I SAY THAT.
Just because its not for everybody doesnt compromise GM'S or anyone elses
decision, just don't want a game console cluttering up my system, have had a lot more
use outta the Blu players I have used.
BTW TALKY, DON'T SAY I havent had experience with the PS3, I have HAD PLENTY.
And they are not for me.
You don't have to act like a Sony shill all of the time.:1:

GMichael
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
THEY COST MORE THAN A bLU PLAYER, my friend didnt like his, said it looked like a toy cluttering up his system, he nevere played games, and with his setup would have needed a router and home net to connect the PS3 to the network, which he probably couldnt have figured out.
I dont hate the PS3, just don't want to pay for gaming features I will never use.
Its just not for eveybody, which is just common sense, so why do I GET ATTACKED EVERY TIME I SAY THAT.
decision, just don't want a game console cluttering up my system, have had a lot more
And they are not for me.

I can't speak for the others, but all I am saying is this. Even if you ignore that it can play games as well as the many other things that it can do that a BR player can not, it still makes a nice BR player for less than many models. It connects to a computer network the same way a BR player does. Either by cable or through Wifi. Plus it will continue to improve over the years as upgrades get sent. Is it more than some base models? Sure, and if the extra $100 breaks the bank, I can relate. I just don't want anyone to think that it's a comprimise in any way. It's a great BR player and should be considered by anyone looking for one.

pixelthis
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I can't speak for the others, but all I am saying is this. Even if you ignore that it can play games as well as the many other things that it can do that a BR player can not, it still makes a nice BR player for less than many models. It connects to a computer network the same way a BR player does. Either by cable or through Wifi. Plus it will continue to improve over the years as upgrades get sent. Is it more than some base models? Sure, and if the extra $100 breaks the bank, I can relate. I just don't want anyone to think that it's a comprimise in any way. It's a great BR player and should be considered by anyone looking for one.

All valid points, but its also a valid point that its not for everyone, which is all I am saying.
SIR TALKY WILL SAY THE PIC IS BETTER, but that is a matter of taste, I prefered the pic on my Sony, is all.:1:

01-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Let's point out a few things here Pix. It is less than the Oppo, Denon, Pioneer and several other players, but has more features than all of them.

And if you call this experience, I think you missed in school what the word really means.

You get attack Pix because the fact that you don't play games is not a reason to dismiss the player. So you have one feature you don't use(I don't either), but if you are half the streamer as you say you are, then the PS3 is far better at it than any other player. If has FAR more option of accessing free online movies and television shows.

Okay

And they are not for me.

Well, If you call experience being my cousins uncles friends mothers boyfriend son has one, then I guess you do have some experience with it.

That unfortunately is no experience. You have to own one for an extended period of time to say you have experience and expect to be taken seriously.