Putting together a budget (as in frugally cheap) 2 channel system, help! [Archive] - Page 2 - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a budget (as in frugally cheap) 2 channel system, help!

Pages : 1 [2]

poppachubby
01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Ya frenchy, I was referring to the underlay. I have some work of my own to do. I'll post the finished result but the colour and concept got glorious WAF reviews...

Poultrygeist
01-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Two Insignia's from Bestbuy - $80

OR better yet

Two 8 inch Pioneer Full Range Speakers from Parts Express -$60 in DIY open baffles - simple plans at WildBurro Audio Labs made from a sheet of $25 plywood and cut free at HD

Dayton T-amp from PartsExpress - $39 or Lepai TA 2020 from ebay - $30

T-amp Preamp with phono stage ( ebay ) - $45

Playstation1 SCPH-1001 ebay - $25

Goodwill Thrift Store turntable - $20

The T-amp + Pioneer OB's are just stupid good!

blackraven
01-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey thanks alot Raven, means alot! I still have about 12 extra panels that aren't in use. I will probably use 4 for the H/T room. I will check at my work how much it would be to ship you the balance using our corporate freight account.

Thanks Pops. I appreciate the offer.

frenchmon
01-23-2010, 05:56 PM
I have carpet on the floor. The concern was the rear wall, behind where I am listening. There isn't much distance between my seating position and this rear wall - there just isn't much room. The concern is that this rear wall is conrete, hence some sort of foam panels, etc. on the wall. Putting a carpet on the wall seems somewhat challenging. Maybe there's a good way to do it?

You can rent a drill from home-depot if you don't have one, that has the ability to drill into concrete. Its call a drill-driver. It will easily drill into a concrete wall a hole that you then can put a screw in to hold up the carpet. You will need a bit made for concrete. You drill the hole, put in a plastic sleve that comes with the screws, then drill in the screw through one corners of the carpet to hold it up. Then do the other side. The holes can be drilled with ease in less than 10 minutes. I have carpet behind my speakers, and on the side walls, and on the floor in front of my speakers. Carpet works great.

frenchmon

frenchmon
01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Ya frenchy, I was referring to the underlay. I have some work of my own to do. I'll post the finished result but the colour and concept got glorious WAF reviews...

Looking good there Poppacubby!

frenchmon

poppachubby
01-23-2010, 06:09 PM
You can rent a drill from home-depot if you don't have one, that has the ability to drill into concrete. Its call a drill-driver. It will easily drill into a concrete wall a hole that you then can put a screw in to hold up the carpet. You will need a bit made for concrete. You drill the hole, put in a plastic sleve that comes with the screws, then drill in the screw through one corners of the carpet to hold it up. Then do the other side. The holes can be drilled with ease in less than 10 minutes. I have carpet behind my speakers, and on the side walls, and on the floor in front of my speakers. Carpet works great.

frenchmon

I think carpet is a great idea fellas. This wall is probably the most signifcant in the room in terms of potential problems. IMO, every inch should be covered. This could be a costly proposal with carpet. Versus foam, I'm not sure which would be the best way to go.

IRG, see if you can find a tight fit that covers the wall when you are looking for carpet...

poppachubby
01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
OK, I'm done. How'd you make out IRG? The wife digs it, maybe the first time ever!

poppachubby
01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
My fronts are firing straight into these.

poppachubby
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Behind the gear...

IRG
01-24-2010, 01:22 PM
My fronts are firing straight into these.

Those look cool, fabric on frames? My dad is an artist, he probably has a lot of framing materials, I could do something like this fairly easily, make a real big one. Good idea...maybe even get the kids involved in some kind of an art project.

I'm waiting on the speaker stands at the moment. Did some listening though today, and early results are very good. Bass is much better than I expected with these little speakers.

I don't have the new cartridge on the table yet (hasn't arrived) but a question. I get a little bit of hum with the table on, don't notice it really when a record is playing, there's a ground wire from the table, where is that supposed to go to? I don't see anyting on the receiver for it to go to. Volume is significantly less on the table than the Yamaha cd player. Which sounds terrific btw, very very impressed with this thing, especially for $79, a helluva steal.

The Onkyo receiver is really nice too. It has a direct mode, which bypasses the tone controls, and a Pure Audio mode which bypasses everything (including video connections) and disengages all lights too. Can't tell yet if it makes much difference. But so far, it all sounds quite good. I'll be working more on the room acoustics in the weeks to come. I think I need to make a wall around the furnace/water heater next, and sound proof it as well.

Mr Peabody
01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
If the receiver has a built in phono stage(preamp) then there should be a thumb screw some where near the phono input to connect that ground wire. If there's no place to connect it I suspect the input may say "phono" but the necessary extra preamp isn't there. The signal from a turntable is very low and needs additional step up to get to the level of a tape deck or CDP output. If you have to turn the receiver way up just to barely hear it then the preamp for phono is not there. Check your owner manual as well. If it says "phono" on the receiver input and no preamp built in I find this a very cheezy thing for Onkyo to do.

02audionoob
01-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Sounds like you need a phono preamp...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp

IRG
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
If the receiver has a built in phono stage(preamp) then there should be a thumb screw some where near the phono input to connect that ground wire. If there's no place to connect it I suspect the input may say "phono" but the necessary extra preamp isn't there. The signal from a turntable is very low and needs additional step up to get to the level of a tape deck or CDP output. If you have to turn the receiver way up just to barely hear it then the preamp for phono is not there. Check your owner manual as well. If it says "phono" on the receiver input and no preamp built in I find this a very cheezy thing for Onkyo to do.

I'll check for the screw. It doesn't sound bad at all, and could be the crappy cartridge. The sound level isn't low, it just isn't as high output as CD. So I think the preamp is there, as to its quality I don't know. But I haven't spent too much time with it yet (dang kids don't leave me alone, lol).

02audionoob
01-24-2010, 04:13 PM
It is very normal for a turntable cartridge and phono stage to have a noticeably lower output than a CD player. Could you remind us what cartridge you have?

IRG
01-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Sounds like you need a phono preamp...

http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp

I'l check this one out thanks. Price is certainly good. I'll wait and see once the cartridge is here. So far though, I really like this Yamaha player, even my regular cds sound very good. I need to buy some SACD's now.

IRG
01-24-2010, 04:21 PM
It is very normal for a turntable cartridge and phono stage to have a noticeably lower output than a CD player. Could you remind us what cartridge you have?

The Audio Technica 311EP. Should be here soon.

02audionoob
01-24-2010, 04:24 PM
The Audio Technica 311EP. Should be here soon.

I mean the one you're already listening to.

02audionoob
01-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I'l check this one out thanks. Price is certainly good. I'll wait and see once the cartridge is here. So far though, I really like this Yamaha player, even my regular cds sound very good. I need to buy some SACD's now.

It sounds like you do NOT need a phono preamp, after all, since your receiver has a phono stage.

Mr Peabody
01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
I had an Ortofon OM5e put on my Numark turntable Saturday. I hooked it up to my headphone amp last night to go through some vinyl and I was really impressed with this cartridge. It made the turntable more than listenable. I wouldn't have a problem sitting and listening to that system. It's interesting when listening to vinyl just how low the bass will go, even though it was headphones sometimes it felt like the bass traveled to the bottom of my feet. Is the 5e cheaper than the 10 & 20 you all were talking about?

IRG
01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
I mean the one you're already listening to.

Oh, some piece of crap radio shack thing that came with it.

IRG
01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
I had an Ortofon OM5e put on my Numark turntable Saturday. I hooked it up to my headphone amp last night to go through some vinyl and I was really impressed with this cartridge. It made the turntable more than listenable. I wouldn't have a problem sitting and listening to that system. It's interesting when listening to vinyl just how low the bass will go, even though it was headphones sometimes it felt like the bass traveled to the bottom of my feet. Is the 5e cheaper than the 10 & 20 you all were talking about?

The 10 is about $84 on needledoctor, the OM5e is about $55.

I got the AT 311EP from Garage A Records for $49.

02audionoob
01-24-2010, 04:45 PM

With the OM cartridges, the body is the same all the way up, but the stylus gets better and more expensive with the higher numbers. At Needle Doctor, the 5E stylus is $44, the 10 is $47, the 20 is $139, the 30 is $229 and the 40 is $299. The 20 is a nude elliptical, so it seems to me like a good balance between cost and performance for mid-level turntables. I think all but the OM-5E were replaced by the 2M series, if I remember correctly, but the styli are available and interchangeable.

poppachubby
01-24-2010, 04:52 PM
You oughta hear the 10 Peabody...

IRG
01-26-2010, 04:34 AM
So I got the AT cartridge last night, opened the box (not the container holding the cartridge itself) and discovered one of the four pins looks significantly bent. I could straighen it out I suppose, but I imagine this could easily break off. This happened to me with a tube I bought for my guitar amp, just touching one of the bent pins and it fell off.

I got it new from Garage A Records as recommended here. Not their fault, but if they had just eyeballed it, they would have seen this one was not acceptable to ship out. Now I remember all of the "fun" little nuances it takes to be a vinyl fan. Not.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/IMG_0947.jpg

LeRoy
01-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Those look cool, fabric on frames? My dad is an artist, he probably has a lot of framing materials, I could do something like this fairly easily, make a real big one. Good idea...maybe even get the kids involved in some kind of an art project.

I'm waiting on the speaker stands at the moment. Did some listening though today, and early results are very good. Bass is much better than I expected with these little speakers.

I don't have the new cartridge on the table yet (hasn't arrived) but a question. I get a little bit of hum with the table on, don't notice it really when a record is playing, there's a ground wire from the table, where is that supposed to go to? I don't see anyting on the receiver for it to go to. Volume is significantly less on the table than the Yamaha cd player. Which sounds terrific btw, very very impressed with this thing, especially for $79, a helluva steal.

The Onkyo receiver is really nice too. It has a direct mode, which bypasses the tone controls, and a Pure Audio mode which bypasses everything (including video connections) and disengages all lights too. Can't tell yet if it makes much difference. But so far, it all sounds quite good. I'll be working more on the room acoustics in the weeks to come. I think I need to make a wall around the furnace/water heater next, and sound proof it as well.

Good to know about favorable first impressions with the new rig. From all indications...you will have an artful room to go with an artful system configuration. Enjoy the music and have a great day.

LeRoy

manlystanley
01-26-2010, 06:15 AM
You would want to put something on a couple of the walls to absorb sound in order to keep the reflections and reverb down. I know that's difficult on concrete. You could try a heavy curtain from the ceiling sort of against the wall.

Get yourself one of these bad boys:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202046595&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202046595&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202046595

I bought mine off of craigslist for $30. Makes driving nails into concrete fun..... When I put up my sub-panel fuse box in my basement (I ran a 60 amp line from the main box to the basement) I attached a big piece of plywood to the Concrete wall. Then attached the basement fusebox to this piece of plywood. It works like a champ. Use glue as well and you can hang what ever you want on it.

Best Regards,
Stan

02audionoob
01-26-2010, 06:36 AM
So I got the AT cartridge last night, opened the box (not the container holding the cartridge itself) and discovered one of the four pins looks significantly bent. I could straighen it out I suppose, but I imagine this could easily break off. This happened to me with a tube I bought for my guitar amp, just touching one of the bent pins and it fell off.

I got it new from Garage A Records as recommended here. Not their fault, but if they had just eyeballed it, they would have seen this one was not acceptable to ship out. Now I remember all of the "fun" little nuances it takes to be a vinyl fan. Not.

Inside the plastic box there should be an L-shaped adapter with four pin receivers. I'd probably try to slide it onto the bent pin and straighten it. You could ok that with the seller before you do it. Here's how I mean...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4306010503_2bc6de2681.jpg

IRG
01-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Inside the plastic box there should be an L-shaped adapter with four pin receivers. I'd probably try to slide it onto the bent pin and straighten it. You could ok that with the seller before you do it. Here's how I mean...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/4306010503_2bc6de2681.jpg

Well I wrote to them this a.m. and they wrote back quickly, apologized, and they're sending a new one out to me. Nice customer service, I do appreciate their efforts here. I'm sure I'll be back as a result.

02audionoob
01-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Well I wrote to them this a.m. and they wrote back quickly, apologized, and they're sending a new one out to me. Nice customer service, I do appreciate their efforts here. I'm sure I'll be back as a result.

It's nice that these sellers are relatively small...perhaps even only one person, sometimes. It's not like buying something from bestbuy.com (no offense intended to big box stores).

v rod
01-26-2010, 01:37 PM
ok harmon international sells referb recivers and intergrated amps cheap,also polk does the same.thay come with warranty.ive done it with polk and at less than half price,very satisfied

v rod
01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks LeRoy, those Mordaunt Shorts look really nice, good price too, I've booked marked them for sure. I was checking out the CA 30's you mentioned, is that price per pair or single speaker? I wasn't sure, but at $220/pair, I would consider them too. Are the Polk Rti4 or TSi100's from Cruchfield pretty good speakers? Prices on both of these are good too.
the polk tsi line r good.u can by direct rfon polk,factory referb with 2 year waranty::

v rod
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I would jump on these NHT Classic 2's from audiogon.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1266790401&/NHT-Classic-Two

Nice warm sounding speaker with excellent midbass.

And here's a pair of PSB B-25's, a much better speaker than the B-15's for bass
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1266605291&/PSB-Image

Or these Vintage B&W's- http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1266568023&/Bowers---Wilkins-DM-1400

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1266183243&/B-W-610i
have b&w 610i bought on ebay 4 152.00 delivered nice bass 4 book shelf.from eAuction wizard.com

IRG
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
V rod,

I pretty much have my system put together now (until I begin planning any upgrades :)) Speakers are the Mordaunt Short Avant 902i, Onkyo TX8555 receiver, Yamaha DVD S1800 for cd player, and a used Technics SL-Q20 for turntable, with Audio Technica 311EP cartridge (in process of getting a new one). Only thing I'm lacking are the speaker stands. Audioadvisor's shipping is slow.

LeRoy
01-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Just checking to make sure that you have the speakers connected correctly. The outer speaker posts are the LF and the 2 inner speaker posts are the HF.

You should be getting more than just bass from the 902's. How are you liking them so far?

LeRoy

IRG
01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Just checking to make sure that you have the speakers connected correctly. The outer speaker posts are the LF and the 2 inner speaker posts are the HF.

You should be getting more than just bass from the 902's. How are you liking them so far?

LeRoy

I think this is right, according to their manual:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/IMG_0931.jpg

I really like them a lot. Bass is very strong. But I need the proper stands, right now, just on the floor, so I haven't done any critical listening yet. THe Onkyo receiver seems like a good match with them. I just read a review in Stereophile about the Onkyo 9555 or something like that. Integrated amp, but it seems like it has most of the same features as the 8555 receiver, minus the tuner. ANd it was really well reviewed, compared favorably to their other amps in the $2500 range. Might upgrade to a tube amp someday, for now, it is more than decent. I might try a pair of the BJC biwire cables to compare.

But yeah so far, these are very impressive speakers, period, not "just for the money". Glad I listened to ya :cornut:

blackraven
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear you like the Speaks and receiver IRG. Are those Blue Jeans speaker cables I see there? I recognize the shrink wrap on the banana plugs. By the way, that Onkyo 9555 integrated amp is a digital amp, completely different than the 8555.

IRG
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Glad to hear you like the Speaks and receiver IRG. Are those Blue Jeans speaker cables I see there? I recognize the shrink wrap on the banana plugs. By the way, that Onkyo 9555 integrated amp is a digital amp, completely different than the 8555.

Yep, Blue Jeans. First time I "put a cable together" myself. LOL. not much to it really. They came out pretty nice I thought, very affordable.

I was thinking the two Onkyo amps were more closely related, they both have the WRAT signature on it, wide range whatever. The 9555 is a class D then, is the 8555 an AB design then? Seems to have a lot of power, I've had the whole house shaking (in a good way) with just these little speakers.

Pic of the cable work: http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/IMG_0930.jpg

blackraven
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes the 9555 is Class D and the 8555 is AB. That 8555 is pretty nice and a high current design at that. Its pretty amazing at how inexpensive 2 ch receivers are. They are pretty good for midfi for 2ch. Better than going with an inexpensive AVR.

Those BJC speaker cables are a bargain if you terminate them your self. I have a pair and I don't know why anyone would spend more for 10-12g wire. They sound great.

IRG
01-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes the 9555 is Class D and the 8555 is AB. That 8555 is pretty nice and a high current design at that. Its pretty amazing at how inexpensive 2 ch receivers are. They are pretty good for midfi for 2ch. Better than going with an inexpensive AVR.

Those BJC speaker cables are a bargain if you terminate them your self. I have a pair and I don't know why anyone would spend more for 10-12g wire. They sound great.

So what would be a "significant" upgrade for the amp? About the best I've owned in the past is a Roksan Kandy integrated amp, it was good, but I can't recall it being that much better than some of the other mifi stuff I've owned. But maybe I'm not a critical listener. Not back then, maybe now I will be. I've spend an inordinate amount of time and some $ tweaking my guitar tone. Now I guess I'll move that obsession over to 2 channel sound. :18:

blackraven
01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
If your on a budget and want to go separates, consider Emotiva, NAD, B&K reference series (the later 2 amps have a warmer presentation) Parasound Classic, Outlaw Audio, used Van Alstine amps, and check audiogon for good deals on some higher end used amps. If you want the tube sound consider a tube preamp or hybrid preamp. Vincent Audio makes a very affordable hybrid tube preamp for about $450.

For integrated amps, look at Cambridge Audio, NAD.

Mr Peabody
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
LeRoy, do the MS have straps if not biamping?

IRG, are you bi-wiring?

IRG
01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
LeRoy, do the MS have straps if not biamping?

IRG, are you bi-wiring?

No, not now. The pic above is how I have it wired right now, according to the instructions. But I may try a BJCable (Canare) and do the biwire option, we'll see. I imagine if it would make any difference, it would probably come with a different amp and biwiring.

Mr Peabody
01-26-2010, 08:18 PM
IRG, you should sit back and listen to your system once it's up and running like you want before thinking upgrade. If you notice a weakness any where then at least you'd know what direction to go. Right now your system is balanced as far as no one piece being far out of class with another. When you get the upgrade bug it will most likely be a ripple effect. I personally believe one needs the best source possible because if the detail don't come off the disc or LP then nothing we do after that will allow us to hear it because it's not there.

blackraven
01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
What he said!

IRG
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
I won't be upgrading, not for quite a while. Gotta enjoy it for a while, before I muck it up again. I'll work on room acoustics though, that needs the most help.

poppachubby
01-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Shame about the cart. Please post when your deck is up and running...

IRG
01-27-2010, 03:45 PM
So I just got an email from Audio Advisor that my speaker stands have shipped out. Today. 7 days after I ordered them. $50 stands, $12 in shipping, and it took them a f*&king week to ship them out. Wow, what wonderful crappy customer services. First, and last time I order anything from them. AC4Less was awesome btw, as was Needledoctor.com and the Garage A Records where I got the damaged cartridge from, they were awesome in their service too. But AA bites the big one in my book.

blackraven
01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I ordered my Parasound from AA and it shipped out the next day. I find that buying on the internet is so variable except for BJC which ships out the next day.

IRG
01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I ordered my Parasound from AA and it shipped out the next day. I find that buying on the internet is so variable except for BJC which ships out the next day.

They may not have had this item in stock. Which kinda sucks, because had I known this, I wouldn't have ordered from them. It turns out another website had these same stands in stock, but when I placed my order, they let me know that it was actually out of stock. Nice of them, even though they did lose the sale. But I would shop that place again. AA was deceptive, because they sent the initial email, saying thanks for the order, yada yada.

BJC was great. AC4less was really good too, I was impressed (and initially a little worried). Very professional outfit I found.

LeRoy
01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
IRG, you've got the speakers hooked up correctly. If you want a better jumper than the silver hand cuff looking jumper's that come shipped with the speakers I have a very affordable solution for you.

Simply go get some solid core copper wire that is OFC....the 99.99999% type..you know what I mean there....and use the silver jumpers as a measure for cutting a strand of the solid core copper, then strip the insulation off the SCC, mark the ends of the SCC as you want to take a pair of pliers and bend the SCC ends into a hook shape, not circular, hook the posts, and then you have essentially a bi-wire configuration without spending any more big bucks.

Mr. Peabody, I am not sure what you mean by straps. The photo that IRG has of the rear of the 902's...you can see the silver jumpers that come with the speakers. I call them jumpers and maybe you call them straps?

As far as be able to bi-amp them, they can be bi-amped but there is no special bi-amp connection on back of the speaker cabinets...they just get bi-amped in the usual way.

Hope this info helps. Enjoy the music.

LeRoy

IRG
01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
So I finally got the speaker stands tonight, and the replacement cartridge. For those reading this saga, I got pissed a bit with audioadvisor because of their shipping so late (a week after I ordered) of the stands. I emailed them, told them I was unhappy, and they should refund my shipping charges. Well they did. And they apologized, and said an email had been sent to the fact that the item was backordered but expected in soon. Maybe, but no email was ever received by me, this I'm sure. Whatever, at least they're here. Only problem is they are really cheap piece of crap, Sanus stands, mdf. The screws they include are all too large really, and even with hand screwing, they all split a bit. Not that noticeable, won't show up in pics, (one might) unless I really focus on it. Only $50 I know, but still, they shouldn't split like this. I might send them back, but again, should I pay for it? I think not.

Second, the replacement cartridge came today, very cool service from Garage A Records. They sent it to me without even getting the replcement back (I did send it back, at my expense). Hopefully this new one will be good. I'll install it tomorrow.

Just got back from a short business trip. 34 hours gone, 16 of it spent driving. I'm exhausted.

But the new system sounds pretty damn good. I'll do some real listening tomorrow when the kids aren't asleep. Ciao.

02audionoob
01-29-2010, 06:25 PM
The AT cartridge will likely need a bit of break-in time. I ran mine all day when I first got it.

Mr Peabody
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Love it when a plan comes together, even if it's not mine :)

IRG
01-30-2010, 10:35 AM
So I got the turntable up and running today finally, new cartridge installed, and it sounds really good, surprisingly good. Much better than I ever remember. I think a good cartridge certainly makes a big difference. I've had some Hendrix and Jeff Beck playing, sound alive. The wife came in for a listen, thought it was a cd going - which is actually a compliment in this case. I need to buy some new quality vinyl now. Next on my list...

poppachubby
01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
I think a good cartridge certainly makes a big difference.

Just wait until it breaks in. Imagine, you're in the low end of budget carts, step up to the $150 - $250 range and you'd be floored. This is in part why I wanted you to get the OMP-10, so you could upgrade easily and affordably. Anyhow, glad you're enjoying it and getting instant gratification by the sounds of it.

I need to buy some new quality vinyl now. Next on my list...

I'll suggest www.acousticsounds.com. Excellent selection, great shipping prices and extremely knowledgable staff. I mean they know about analog overall, you can ask them anything. Unfortunately, I've had to stop buying from them because border tarriffs are just ridiculous right now.

Keep an eye out for used stuff as well. I would suggest to you that regardless of how tempting a title may be, try to set a high standard for what you will and won't buy. This way, once you have 2 or 300 albums under your belt, they will be worthy of your pride.

I'm excited for you man. Any questions feel free to PM me, the noob too.

How's the room evaluation coming along? I'm recovering my bass traps today...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4315446396_3993a73f3d.jpg

02audionoob
01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
I really don't think it's fair to say the AT cartridge doesn't have the upgrade capability that the Ortofon has. Here's an example:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATN3472HE

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATN3472LC

hifitommy
01-30-2010, 03:22 PM
here are a couple of starters that should work quite well. the receiver is 80wpc and the infinity speakers are 90db sensitive which should take care of man cave loudness requirements quite easily. a sub could be added later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Primus-P162-Bookshelf-speakers-P-162-NEW-PAIR_W0QQitemZ350308345021QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeak ers_Subwoofers?hash=item51900124bd

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554380-REG/Harman_Kardon_HK_3390_HK_3390_Stereo_Receiver.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529932-REG/Infinity_PS210BK_PS210_10_Powered_Subwoofer.html

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CADV89%20%20%20%20SIL

this player will play all audio formats. also, some sony dvd players will do dvd, cd, and sacd but not dvda. to be hnest with you, there arent many DVDAs out there anymore but SACDs continue to be issued in jazz and classical titles.

for a tt, try watching audiogon for something like a pioneer, technics, sansui, or the like. then get a new grado black or at95e from LPgear.com and you will do well.

Mr Peabody
01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Tommy, you're not fashionably late, you missed the party :)

IRG
01-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Tommy, you're not fashionably late, you missed the party :)

It's true, the system is already here. But I appreciate the effort Tommy. That would be a pretty good rig too.

What I ended up with, and a price on each:

Reciever: Onkyo TX-8555 (100wpc) $199 (new)
Speakers: Mordaunt Short Avant 902i $225 (new)
CD: Yamaha DVD S1800 $79 (new)
Table: Technics SL-Q200 $25 (used)
Cartidge: Audio-Technica AT311EP $49 (new)
Cables: Blue Jeans Cable IC and speaker cables $90

The amp and speakers I funded with a sale of a couple guitar pedals, the turntable and cartridge were paid for with the sale of a homemade pedal board. The cd player was a X mas gift I picked out. So really only the cables and speaker stands were purchased out of pocket, not bad! Sounds great too. I'll post some pics soon, the camera battery is recharging at the moment.

Mr Peabody
01-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Just giving him some grief.

poppachubby
01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
I really don't think it's fair to say the AT cartridge doesn't have the upgrade capability that the Ortofon has.

Are you talking about me? I didn't say that...

This is in part why I wanted you to get the OMP-10, so you could upgrade easily and affordably.

I didn't realise the AT cart can upgrade, so great! I was just reiterating the value of the OMP series. I'll have to check out the AT.

hifitommy
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
the system picked is fine, all respectable equipage. i didnt read through all of the posts because the sheer number of them seemed daunting.

i have some primus 150s and they are quite a value especially at the close out price i paid. they are a bargain at list price. the m-s spks have always been good, had i heard those, i may have recommended them. the great thing is a good sounding system has been acquired.

blackraven
01-30-2010, 06:15 PM
IRG, how do you like the Yammy DVD S-1800. I got mine yesterday and hooked it up to my reference system and SACD was superb sounding with no faults that I could detect, and Cd was good but not great. It was a little grainy. Its sounding a bit better with some break in time. I'll give it 2 weeks before I pass final judgment on Cd play. I have not hooked it up for DVD use and probably never will. I may buy a second one to replace my daughters cheap sony DVDP that she is using for her stereo. For $79 its a steal.

02audionoob
01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Are you talking about me? I didn't say that...

My mistake. I thought that was what you implied.

poppachubby
01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
My mistake. I thought that was what you implied.

Yep, no prob.

IRG
01-30-2010, 06:53 PM
IRG, how do you like the Yammy DVD S-1800. I got mine yesterday and hooked it up to my reference system and SACD was superb sounding with no faults that I could detect, and Cd was good but not great. It was a little grainy. Its sounding a bit better with some break in time. I'll give it 2 weeks before I pass final judgment on Cd play. I have not hooked it up for DVD use and probably never will. I may buy a second one to replace my daughters cheap sony DVDP that she is using for her stereo. For $79 its a steal.

I think it's quite good. I don't have any sacd's yet, hope to change that soon. But as a standalone cd player, no real complaints yet. I haven't had a chance to listen to that many cds yet, spent part of today on vinyl, hopefully will demo more tomorrow. But yeah, for $79 a steal for sure. I think the only way I'll upgrade is if the whole system is stepped up some, otherwise, I doubt I might be able to tell much of a difference.

Here's a couple pics of my humble setup. It's also my guitar room and various other projects. I'm considering moving it to our bedroom. Lower the bed on a platform, and have the stereo in there, with nothing else. The wife didn't oppose the idea too much.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/IMG_0950.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/IMG_0953.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/IMG_0952.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/irg2/IMG_0956.jpg

IRG
01-30-2010, 06:56 PM
the system picked is fine, all respectable equipage. i didnt read through all of the posts because the sheer number of them seemed daunting.

i have some primus 150s and they are quite a value especially at the close out price i paid. they are a bargain at list price. the m-s spks have always been good, had i heard those, i may have recommended them. the great thing is a good sounding system has been acquired.

I may check out that sub you linked before. Not sure I need one really, but it might be nice to really fill in the lower end. Is that Infinity pretty good then for music?

poppachubby
01-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Lookin good man!! Love the rack. Overall, everything looks complimentary considering it's been pieced together. You did great man, congrats. I am a bit envious, it's so much fun being in the stage you're in right now. The honeymoon...

edit: BTW, is that peg board made of that special NASA damping material I read about in Popular Mechanics?

Mr Peabody
01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah, the thread is a good one and good for IRG coming back and keeping us posted along the way. To read it all would have been quite the endeavor.

IRG
01-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Lookin good man!! Love the rack. Overall, everything looks complimentary considering it's been pieced together. You did great man, congrats. I am a bit envious, it's so much fun being in the stage you're in right now. The honeymoon...

edit: BTW, is that peg board made of that special NASA damping material I read about in Popular Mechanics?

No, the pegboard is just regular stuff. Came with the house I believe. I put some pieces of dense foam behind the speakers, just to see if that would do anything. Can't hurt I guess. I'll do more with the room over time. Although the idea of moving this into the bedroom and making that more of a dedicated listening room (with better acoustics) is a little bit appealing, we'll see.

IRG
01-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah, the thread is a good one and good for IRG coming back and keeping us posted along the way. To read it all would have been quite the endeavor.

Thanks, it's been fun, and a lot of credit is due to others here - all I did was follow it!

poppachubby
01-31-2010, 05:18 AM
No, the pegboard is just regular stuff. Came with the house I believe.

Hahaha, just pullin your leg.

Although the idea of moving this into the bedroom and making that more of a dedicated listening room (with better acoustics) is a little bit appealing, we'll see.

I would do your best to keep it where it is. Currently, it's yours. Why change that? The bedroom belongs to your wife too. Bad idea.

Don't get discouraged about the room. If you're willing to put in a bit of work, it's an easy fix. The DIY bass traps I have work wonders. You wouldn't believe the damping power when they were all close together. Spread around the room, they can help quite a bit. The cost would be minimal.

Anyhow, sorry if I sound like a nag. Speaking of wives huh?!? I'm your audio wife...

"IRG honey? Did you dampen the heat duct yet???"

IRG
01-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Hahaha, just pullin your leg.

I would do your best to keep it where it is. Currently, it's yours. Why change that? The bedroom belongs to your wife too. Bad idea.

Don't get discouraged about the room. If you're willing to put in a bit of work, it's an easy fix. The DIY bass traps I have work wonders. You wouldn't believe the damping power when they were all close together. Spread around the room, they can help quite a bit. The cost would be minimal.

Anyhow, sorry if I sound like a nag. Speaking of wives huh?!? I'm your audio wife...

"IRG honey? Did you dampen the heat duct yet???"

Yeah, could be a problem, but not totally. Our bedroom isn't really a room we use much, other than sleeping. It's not what we want in a bedroom - someday we'll move to something better. She has another bedroom that's her office, so she has "her space" already.

The problem with my work room is the furnace is in there, and now with it being so cold, it's on a lot, which is a real in the ass when your trying to listen to music (however, helpful for keeping the house warm.) So that alone, I can't don't anything about. Hence the idea to move to another room. Haven't decided yet, probably won't for a while.

frenchmon
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
nice looking system you got there bud....how do you like the speakers???

frenchmon

IRG
01-31-2010, 05:57 PM
nice looking system you got there bud....how do you like the speakers???

frenchmon

Hey Frenchmon,
I really dig them a lot. Still breaking in I presume, but overall they kill for the price. They sound very full for small 2 way monitors. I sometimes almost think I have a sub on, which has surprised me. But the room is not that large, so that probably helps. I've been playing the classical soundtrack from the movie The Village (wonderful violin) and at a few times where the orchestra kicks in really loudly, the whole house just shakes, very nice.

These speakers seem to have a very nice soundstage to them, they pull you in. Very musical, nice balance. They sound good with vinyl too, a bit more warmth here, a bit less top end, probably the medium.

Overall, no complaints, only praises. Very nice looking too, and well made. And at $225, they seem like a steal to me. I like them more than my Paradigm Monitor 3s. I should bring them down, and do a head to head comparison. Hmmm....

LeRoy
02-02-2010, 07:34 PM
I like them more than my Paradigm Monitor 3s. I should bring them down, and do a head to head comparison. Hmmm....

I found that I preferred the musicality of the 902i's over the Nola Mini's @ $695.00/pr and also over the M.S. Aviano 2's @ $595.00/pr. So, I was just curious what the retail price of the PM3's are..

Glad to know you are enjoying your new audio system and nice pics too.

LeRoy

IRG
02-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I dont think they make the Monitor 3s now, I think they've been replaced with the Titans, which look a lot snazzier than my 3s, haven't heard them though. I think they 3s were around $500 or $600, I don't recall now. The Atoms are like $329 or $350 now I think, so the Titans would probably be close to twice that I would think.

Makes the 902i's seem like a real value now at $225.

Mygaffer
11-07-2011, 02:23 AM
I know others here have said to go used but you can really put together a decent sounding system on the cheap.
I have a pair of CSW Tower II speakers, a Marantz SR7400 receiver, Niles SI 275 amplifier, and several other pieces that go into and out of my system on a whim.
Those core components cost me a grand total of $267. The Marantz was an ebay thing, $67 shipped, the CSW Tower II was also ebay but the seller was local so I saved on shipping and did local pickup. The Niles amp was free from a customer, he was moving and didn't want to take all his audio stuff with him.

If you hit the thrift stores (some are definitely better than others), scan ebay, troll craigslist, you can often put together a very impressive system for less money than you would ever think possible.

hifitommy
01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
let us not forget audiogon and the asylum trader. AR and AK also have classifieds.

wrc65
01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
after cruising ebay for a few days i jumped on some boston hd5's and couldnt have been any happier great speakers and did i mention they were less than $30

wrc65
01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
oh and found a pair of infinity rs8's with onboard subwoofers and ended up paying $60 and turned out to be wonderful

lovatoj@msn.com
02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Craigs list is the best bet. Lots of Luck! `jd