Antenna HELP! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Antenna HELP!

T-Bone
03-29-2004, 06:23 AM
Hey audiogods... T-Bone here.

I have a good sony tuner (although I am not sure how good), and I am wanting to know where I go to purchase an antenna. Are there specific types of antenna? Are there manufacturers out there to look for?

ANY information is better than where I am. Thanks... T-Bone

Worf101
03-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Hey audiogods... T-Bone here.

I have a good sony tuner (although I am not sure how good), and I am wanting to know where I go to purchase an antenna. Are there specific types of antenna? Are there manufacturers out there to look for?

ANY information is better than where I am. Thanks... T-Bone

Are we talking AM, FM, over the air HDTV? Are you in a home, apartment, rurual or urban? What has worked for you before?

Can't help without this information..

Da Worfster

T-Bone
03-29-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry about the lack of information... since I know little about it, I suppose I overlooked those details. I live in a medium sized city in Canada, in the top floor of a house. I am looking primarily for an FM antenna, although an AM antenna would be nice as well (If it is one or the other FM for sure). I have not used an antenna before so I am wondering what my options are.

Hope this clarifies things a bit... T-Bone

markw
03-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Radio Shack makes a nifty little ($20) FM yagi. With that and some mounting hardware, you should get off for < 60 or so. Ifyou live closer to stations and they are all around you (say < 30 miles or so), then they have an omnidirectional for around the same price.

In either case, you'll need a mast, some way to mount it on the structure and some lead in cable. Once that's done, you can mount any antenna on it.

macmeech
06-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Are we talking AM, FM, over the air HDTV? Are you in a home, apartment, rurual or urban? What has worked for you before?

Can't help without this information..

Da Worfster
I am in a house in the burbs where the reception is ok near windows for Onkyo and Sony late model HT receivers. However, my denon TU-280 only receives FM on rainy days from an interior wall. Can I use my digital cable as an FM antenna?
Should I run an external antenna from the roof? I am trying the Magnum Ribbon internal, but it won't work on sunny days. Thanks for your help.

royphil345
06-08-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm getting great results near the window in my metal + brick apartment building with a Terk FM Pro indoor/outdoor amplified antenna. No other antenna I tried worked acceptably in this building. (tried small amplified and wire antennas) Downside is that the antenna is about 4 feet long and was designed so that the antenna cable attaches at the center of the antenna, making it very difficult to hide in some places.

macmeech
06-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your reply. It's my roof, but I have the wire across the room in front of the door problem which I can only avoid by drilling through the outside wall. The cable installer has already done that, so I was hoping to tap into the cable antenna.

I'm getting great results near the window in my metal + brick apartment building with a Terk FM Pro indoor/outdoor amplified antenna. No other antenna I tried worked acceptably in this building. (tried small amplified and wire antennas) Downside is that the antenna is about 4 feet long and was designed so that the antenna cable attaches at the center of the antenna, making it very difficult to hide in some places.