A documentary to check out. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A documentary to check out.

chrisnz
03-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Next time you're at a loose end at your local video store see if they've got a DVD called "Scratch". This is a doco on Hip Hop DJ's/turntablists that goes all the way back to Afrika Bambaata and Kool Herc etc and right up to the present with DJ Shadow, DJ Babu, Cut Chemist etc etc. It treats it's subject with respect but there's plenty of fun along the way. My favourite moments are Shadow in his secret underground lair surrounded by floor to ceiling piles of mouldering vinyl and the seemingly permanently etched expression of stoned suprise on Cut Chemists face. CC's certainly squandered a few gazillion braincells but nothing compared to the wreckage on the aging hippie's cerebellum whose name escapes me but who you should recognise as soon as he starts to speak... if you should happen across this little treasure.

I managed to run through it twice and enjoyed it both times... YMMV.

Chris.

Worf101
03-29-2004, 07:11 AM
I likes little nuggets and rockumentaries that are hard to find and show me something I might not know.

Thanks..

Da Worfster

Dusty Chalk
03-29-2004, 04:50 PM
That's actually been on my list of things to see, ever since I did a search on Q-bert from the Invisibl Skratch Piklz (at least, I think that's who I was searching on).

I have a friend who's met DJ Shadow -- the guy is one of those idiot savant types. He was so worried about someone ripping off his beats, but then look where he gets them from. Then he heard someone "...ripping off his beats! Ludicrous! If only I could get my hands on the thief...oh, never mind, it's my Walkman..."

Endtroducing is still a brillliant album.

chrisnz
03-29-2004, 07:44 PM
That's actually been on my list of things to see, ever since I did a search on Q-bert from the Invisibl Skratch Piklz (at least, I think that's who I was searching on).

I have a friend who's met DJ Shadow -- the guy is one of those idiot savant types. He was so worried about someone ripping off his beats, but then look where he gets them from. Then he heard someone "...ripping off his beats! Ludicrous! If only I could get my hands on the thief...oh, never mind, it's my Walkman..."

Endtroducing is still a brillliant album.

I'm suprised to see you searching for Q-Bert Dusty. Didn't think you were very interested in HipHop but you got the Invisibl Piklz right.

Shadow actually came across as a very smart guy but I can imagine an obsessive streak a mile wide. How else could you face churning through thousands of Lawrence Welk (sp?) LP's searching for a two bar drum break? The mind shies away from the sheer numbing tedium.

Regards, Chris.

Mike That Likes Music
03-29-2004, 09:55 PM
It's a great documentary about the artists on the Def Jux record label. If you don't know Def Jux, go check it out. By far the most intelligent hip-hop label out there. And on the DJ Shadow note, check out RJD2 "Dead Ringer". It's a truly fine instrumental hip-hop album. It's been called "the best instrumental hip-hop album since "Endtroducing". He is, not surprisingly, signed with Def Jux.
Also I'm rather fond of a documentary DVD called "Style Wars". It's about grafitti and has some great hip-hop. If you're interested in the culture as well as the music, give it a look.

chrisnz
03-29-2004, 11:14 PM
It's a great documentary about the artists on the Def Jux record label. If you don't know Def Jux, go check it out. By far the most intelligent hip-hop label out there. And on the DJ Shadow note, check out RJD2 "Dead Ringer". It's a truly fine instrumental hip-hop album. It's been called "the best instrumental hip-hop album since "Endtroducing". He is, not surprisingly, signed with Def Jux.
Also I'm rather fond of a documentary DVD called "Style Wars". It's about grafitti and has some great hip-hop. If you're interested in the culture as well as the music, give it a look.

Heyyy, thanks for the info. I love Def Jux, The Cold Vein is my favourite hip-hop album but anything with El P or Rjd2 will always get my attention. Have you heard the Diverse album? That's got a lot of work by Rj on it and a track with Vast Aire.

Off to find those doco's.

Chris.