Another Fine Score... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Fine Score...

poppachubby
01-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Hey Guys!! Hit LARGE today!! $40 CDN for 100 records.

Quite a few doubles, but here are some stand outs...

http://starworksny.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/steely-dan-aja-album-cover.jpg

Steely Dan - Aja NM
Max Webster - High Class in Borrowed Shoes VG
Max Webster - Mutiny Up My Sleeve VG
Heart - Little Queen NM
The Police - all 4 studio albums Range G - VG
Hall and Oates - Bigger Than Both of Us VG
Little River Band - Greatest Hits NM

Although I'm not at all a fan, some notable...

10 John Denver albums, G - NM
3 Prism albums VG
5 Styx albums G - VG (including 3 copies of Equinox!!)

Anyhow, now comes the fun part, cleaning and filing.

thekid
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Congrats!
I have an offer on the table right now to try and score about 300 titles.
My wife will have a fit if I fill up the dining room with anymore vinyl......

poppachubby
01-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Congrats!
I have an offer on the table right now to try and score about 300 titles.
My wife will have a fit if I fill up the dining room with anymore vinyl......

It's the cleaning that kills me. I'm working on a plan for a 3 tier storage unit for my LP's. They would be facing outwards, for easy viewing and flipping, just like at a record store.

blackraven
01-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I am amazed at the come back of vinyl. I was just over at Cheapo Records store in St. Paul last night and they moved all their vinyl into its own store across the street. Into the old Applause audio store which used to be all Classical CD's.

02audionoob
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Ahhh...Best of the Doobies. :2:

poppachubby
01-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Saw that did ya? Good eye. A little more digging produced Boston's second release, NM. Steve Winwood, Arc of a Diver, NM. Jackson Browne, Running On Empty (includes original lyric booklet), NM.

And on and on...

I'll be making a trip to Grooves tommorrow to try and get some credit.

frahengeo
01-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Nice score!! I agree with BR. We have Newbury Comics in the Boston area, and their LP section is growing.

You setup your kid's bouncy chair in front of the speakers?:)

BTW, The Police had 5 studio albums.

poppachubby
01-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice score!! I agree with BR. We have Newbury Comics in the Boston area, and their LP section is growing.

You setup your kid's bouncy chair in front of the speakers?:)

BTW, The Police had 5 studio albums.

Oh you're right, I left out Ghost in the Machine. I didn't get that. Yes, the baby sits and listens with me as does my oldest boy. Obviously, he is off-axis and with the volume lowered. We did the same thing with my oldest son.

The result of this was 1) He respects all of my audio and guitar gear
2) He already thinks that sitting and listening to music is an activity
3) He hums and sings all day long. He is 3, won't be long before lessons...

You have kids frahengeo?

thekid
01-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Lyric book for "Running on Empty"?? Interesting.
I have still own my original copy of that LP that I bought new in 79 and I don't recall a lyric book. Jackson Browne is probably my favorite artist and the person i have seen in concert the most. I was fortunate to see him several times at Merriweather Post Pavillion where "The Load Out/Stay" was recorded for that LP. He always closed the show with it. At one concert (Lawyer in Love tour I think) most of the crowd was only familiar with his most current material and by the time of the first encore half the crowd had left. Those of who stayed managed to bring him out for a second encore. He came back on stage and looked around and said "This is for those of you who stayed". He went over to the piano and by himself did about 30 minutes of older stuff going way back. It was awesome.

poppachubby
01-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Lyric book for "Running on Empty"?? Interesting.
I have still own my original copy of that LP that I bought new in 79 and I don't recall a lyric book. Jackson Browne is probably my favorite artist and the person i have seen in concert the most. I was fortunate to see him several times at Merriweather Post Pavillion where "The Load Out/Stay" was recorded for that LP. He always closed the show with it. At one concert (Lawyer in Love tour I think) most of the crowd was only familiar with his most current material and by the time of the first encore half the crowd had left. Those of who stayed managed to bring him out for a second encore. He came back on stage and looked around and said "This is for those of you who stayed". He went over to the piano and by himself did about 30 minutes of older stuff going way back. It was awesome.

Sounds awesome. You're right. It's not a lyric book. It's a picture book. I juts pulled it out to look closer.

poppachubby
01-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Picture Book

thekid
01-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Great score and thanks for the pics!
I am going to put some JB on now-In the mood for "Jamaica Say You Will".....

Geoffcin
01-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Got that! Great album too.

frahengeo
01-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Oh you're right, I left out Ghost in the Machine. I didn't get that. Yes, the baby sits and listens with me as does my oldest boy. Obviously, he is off-axis and with the volume lowered. We did the same thing with my oldest son.

The result of this was 1) He respects all of my audio and guitar gear
2) He already thinks that sitting and listening to music is an activity
3) He hums and sings all day long. He is 3, won't be long before lessons...

You have kids frahengeo?

That's great. We need the NextGen audiophiles/musicians. Not a musician myself, but I wish I was.

I have two boys (7 & 3). The oldest likes The Beatles, so he's off to a good start.

poppachubby
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
One mint album in this haul!! Simply Red - A New Flame. Great album BTW. Very least it's a NM++. Cover in plastic, only the opening was slit. No evidence of a stylus touching the vinyl. So, into the pile it goes, with its mint, collectible brothers and sisters.

http://www.kalamu.com/bol/wp-content/content/images/simply%20red%20cover.jpg

hifitommy
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
i first saw him at the forum in LA about early january ' 78 where we nearly got nosebleeds from the altitude of the seats. that was the 'running' tour. later that year i saw him up close and personal from the edge of the stage at the troubador for TEN bucks.

a couple of year ago, he was headling a benefit in malibu where my friend comped me the ticket to. los lobos was the supporting act.

obviously one of my favorite artists. i've got pretty much everything he put out on vinyl and the naked ride home cd plus the two live and acoustic discs. i dont think theres a dud in the bunch.

JoeE SP9
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
PC;
With all the vinyl you're collecting you might want to look into some sort of record cleaning machine. The Gem Dandy is what I'm using now. I had a Record Doctor vacuum machine. I sold it when I got the Gem Dandy. The Record Doctor was Needle Doctor's house branded Nitty Gritty for half the cost. Thoroughly cleaning even new vinyl makes a big difference in the sound. With older (used) LP's a good cleaning has made ones I thought un-listenable sound good to excellent.

http://www.tracertek.com/ccp0-prodshow/gem-dandy-record-cleaner.html
http://www.needledoctor.com/Nitty-Gritty-1-0-Manual-Fluid-Application-And-Scrubbing-Manual-Rotation-During-Vacuum-Cycles?sc=2&category=106

poppachubby
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks Joe. Yes, the labour is awful. My technique and supplies combine for a perfect LP, this makes it barable I suppose. At this point, it would be hard to have the funds for a cleaner, and not want to spend it on an upgrade.

Eventually I'll get one, but not right now. What I should do is keep an eye for any good used deals.

The Golden Tube is almost complete. After that, I will begin saving and auditioning as much as I can. TT upgrade baby!! I will give myself a year or so before I buy.

poppachubby
01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
i first saw him at the forum in LA about early january ' 78 where we nearly got nosebleeds from the altitude of the seats. that was the 'running' tour. later that year i saw him up close and personal from the edge of the stage at the troubador for TEN bucks.

a couple of year ago, he was headling a benefit in malibu where my friend comped me the ticket to. los lobos was the supporting act.

obviously one of my favorite artists. i've got pretty much everything he put out on vinyl and the naked ride home cd plus the two live and acoustic discs. i dont think theres a dud in the bunch.

Tommy, check your PM's. I sent you one.

hifitommy
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
i will let you know how it sounds.

thanks again.

poppachubby
02-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Salvation Army, 2 bucks each.

Dire Straits. Good condition. No biggy...

XTC in very good condition. Great find, really happy about this one.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4335761698_df815a3718.jpg

This is Wings Over America. 3 LP live album complete with original poster. Sadly the covers have heavy ringwear and are good at best. The good news is that the cover did its job and the vinyl is a solid very good.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4335020437_23e394015a.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4335022191_e4a52fdab2.jpg

thekid
02-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Congrats!
I will have to check if my copy of WOA has the posters.

poppachubby
02-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Double sided poster, when one photograph of a mullet just isn't enough...