Intro [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Intro

M.T.Nest
01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Happy New Year, everyone.

Stumbled across the forum while searching for reviews of a center channel speaker I was thinking of buying as I try to upgrade the living room (wife's) system. Looks to be some good discussions here.

I'm a middle aged empty nester living in Alaska, interested in home theater, music, photography, automobiles, computers, and sports.

Here's our gear. It's nothing spectacular, but it'll do...

Family Room/Home Theater
Mitsubishi WD-65831 65" DLP Display
Onkyo HT-RC160 7.2 AVR (still new in box, actually)
B&W DM603 Series 2 Front
B&W LCR 600 Series 3 Center
B&W DM603 Series 2 Surround
B&W DM601 Series 2 Rear Surround
B&W ASW500 Sub
Panasonic DMP-BD605 Blu-Ray
Sony CDP-C305 5 CD Changer
Motorola DCT3416 HD Cable Box/DVR
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD

(JBL Control 1 Monitors soon to be installed for front height channel)
---------------------------------------------
Living Room System
Panasonic TH-C50FD18 1080P Plasma (Costco version of TH-50PZ80U)
Sony STR-DB1080 AVR (Being displaced from Family Room system, replaces JVC RX-2080)
Another Motorola DCT3416 HD Cable Box/DVR
Yamaha NS-P220 5.1 speaker system
Klipsch SW-8
Panasonic DVD Player

Kevin

poppachubby
01-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Your gear looks great and welcome! There's quite a few H/T types on here who can help with just about anything. I see you're a bass player, or at least interested in bass. Hope to see you around Gary Liebowitz.

rob_a
01-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the forum, hope it's not too cold in Alaska.

You have some nice gear! I think most on the forum agree that matched speakers give the best results. Upgrading to a better center can be nice as long as it's the same line or similar performance as the rest of you surround speakers. This help keep the transition smooth and uniform and avoids any variance in sound.
Rob.

Mr Peabody
01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Kevin, welcome to AR. Not sure where Poppa got the bass info but I've got a Fender Jazz. I play just for fun. People seem to think playing harmonica is my best talent. I also have a small collection of African drums.

I agree with Rob, I personally would not mix the JBL in with your B&W. Another thing you might try when you get your Onkyo hooked up is to use a digital connection from the Sony CD jukebox to see if better sound letting the Onkyo decode the signal.

M.T.Nest
01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
...welcome! There's quite a few H/T types on here who can help with just about anything. I see you're a bass player, or at least interested in bass. Hope to see you around Gary Liebowitz.

Thanks! I'm just beginning to learn bass, at the ripe old age of 50. In fact, I should be practicing now...

Gary Liebowitz (aka Geddy Lee), inspired occasional secretive "air bass" sessions over the last few decades as a wannabe player. Now that the kids are grown and gone I have time to do something about it.

Kevin

Mr Peabody
01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
At least you have a real bass and not playing Rock Band :)

poppachubby
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks! I'm just beginning to learn bass, at the ripe old age of 50. In fact, I should be practicing now...

Gary Liebowitz (aka Geddy Lee), inspired occasional secretive "air bass" sessions over the last few decades as a wannabe player. Now that the kids are grown and gone I have time to do something about it.

Kevin

Geddy Lee? Now you're talkin my language. Canada's finest bass export. I haven't rocked any Rush in a while, but I can usually jump back into Freewill, Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer off the top of my head.

Keep practicing. Never miss a day, at least 20 minutes...

Mr Peabody
01-07-2010, 08:23 PM
My inspiration is more like from the bassist for Iron Maiden and Flea.

M.T.Nest
01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the forum, hope it's not too cold in Alaska.

...I think most on the forum agree that matched speakers give the best results. Upgrading to a better center can be nice as long as it's the same line or similar performance as the rest of you surround speakers. This help keep the transition smooth and uniform and avoids any variance in sound.
Rob.

Thanks. Actually, the last couple of days the high temps got above freezing, which resulted in just enough melting and new snow to make the roads slick and create a road spray issue on the highway. Most of us would prefer it stayed a little cooler until breakup to avoid the freeze-thaw cycle.

As for the proposed front height channel using JBL Control 1's, from the little I know about Pro Logic IIz, they'll only occasionally come into play. I thought these would be "OK" for now at least, especially since they're a) paid for, b) small, and c) off white. I'd prefer something that sounds more like the DM601s, but smaller if possible. They won't have to reproduce any bass...

But if I did want to ensure a more uniform sound, what would you recommend in a small size to go with the 600 Series B&W's?

poppachubby
01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
My inspiration is more like from the bassist for Iron Maiden and Flea.

Did you see the thread we started? http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=32511

M.T.Nest
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
At least you have a real bass and not playing Rock Band :)

Actually, I'm learning on a borrowed Fender Jazz. I'm sure I'd be more committed if I go ahead and buy an instrument. Unfortunately, our budget is struggling to recover from a kitchen remodel at the moment, and I'm going to have to wait a bit longer.

That new receiver should've waited too, probably, but my jaw dropped when I saw it at the "Membership Discount Store" last month. (Am I allowed to say C****o?) I thought all they sold were TV's and HTIB gear. Anyway for about half of MSRP I decided to buy it. Up here, sources of gear are limited to a national Big Box electronics and appliance store, some department stores, and a couple of hifi shops, all of which are way more expensive than the price I got at C****o. The only trouble is that items come and go, there. I actually missed out at the store nearest our home, and had to go to the South Anchorage location to get the receiver when they restocked for the first and last time.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!