Bose 901 Series ll [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bose 901 Series ll

abcfyre
01-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I have pair of 901 that i love.Right now i have them powered by a mid level JVC RX-DV31.It sounds really good but i cant find much info about the receiver .I am not sure if I am getting the max out of these speakers.What would you recomnend to power the speakers that is decent price?

manlystanley
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I have pair of 901 that i love.Right now i have them powered by a mid level JVC RX-DV31.It sounds really good but i cant find much info about the receiver.I dont no if i am putting enough power tru the speakers.What would you recomnend to power the speakers that is decent price.

You can get a Emotiva UPA-2 for $299. Does the JVC have pre outs?

Best Regards,
Stan

abcfyre
01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
thanks.I saw a Macintosh c 24 for sale with a a Sansui 3900 tuner.Would that be a upgrade

nightflier
01-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Uh, yeah, but that would make the Bose 901s feel like country bumpkins in Paris.

markw
01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
That's the only way to add an external power amp into the system.

Also, I'm not knocking Bose, but their 901 series require an equalizer be inserted in the signal path at line-level to sound the way they were designed. How did you manage that?

FWIW, the good news is that the Mac C24 is a fine.preamp.

The bad news is that it's only a preamp. You'll also need a power amp to drive any speakers.

The good news is that you could easily insert that equalizer between the preamp and whatever power amp you purchase.

Invader3k
01-08-2010, 06:29 AM
The 901s are supposedly very power hungry. Adding a separate power amp (like the Emotiva someone referenced) could make them really sing.

abcfyre
01-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks Everyone A little confuseing but I have a offer to buy a Ps Audio(100 watts) McIntosh c24pre amp Sansui 3900 tuner for 450.Does that sound fair ? Things sure have changed from when I was young and into my stereo,I cant find any brick and mortor buildings to get any info anymore.Can anyone reconmend any places in N.J. that has good stock of equipment to listen and buy?Thanks all

Feanor
01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks Everyone A little confuseing but I have a offer to buy a Ps Audio(100 watts) McIntosh c24pre amp Sansui 3900 tuner for 450.Does that sound fair ? Things sure have changed from when I was young and into my stereo,can find any brick and mortor buildings to get any info anymore.Thanks all
As for the price for the lot, if it is all in decent condition, $450 sounds like not too much.

Remember that the Bose equalizer has to be put between the C24 and PS Audio power amp.

harley .guy07
01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
That's the only way to add an external power amp into the system.

Also, I'm not knocking Bose, but their 901 series require an equalizer be inserted in the signal path at line-level to sound the way they were designed. How did you manage that?

He probably used the tape monitor loops which came out on a number of receivers in the past years and it is even in the Bose instructions when using receivers to run the eq through the tape monitor loops if there is not pre out main in jacks. In fact I believe that Bose recommends the tape monitor loops because there is not any variable voltage output in the tape monitor loop it is fixed so the eq does not see variable voltages so the equalizer will probably be a quieter component that way.

harley .guy07
01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
But I will add that I have heard several sets of 901's with the equalizer between the preamp and power amps and it seems to work fine from what I have heard.

JohnMichael
01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Either tape loop or between pre and power will work. The 901 Series l and ll were both acoustic suspension and require more power than the later vented series. Of course with the frequencies boosted by the EQ you need more power in the range affected by the EQ. If I remeber from my days of selling Bose the eq will boost the midbass and the treble.

As many 901 owners have found there can be a lot of rot to the driver's surrounds. If you have not had the covers off to check the condition of the drivers you might want to do that before investing in new amps.

The Series I and II have a rep for being better sounding than the more recent series.

Shammy1
01-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I had a pair of 901 series V for many years and had two Adcom GFA-555 bridged over at 600 wpc. These speakers will laugh at mediocre power and give nothing back. They loved to be muscled and will perform nicely. I remember having my Adcom's clip lights glowing red until the amps shut down through a couple of songs. I had them hanging in my living room and they will swing around from puffing so hard against the wall . I may not remember correctly but I believe these speakers do not have a max rating for non commercial power amp's so don't be afraid of giving them power. Unfortunately the 901 lack true bottom and top end, but it sure was fun learning that. Later

harley .guy07
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah I had a friend running 4 of them in his pool/party room for some loud party blasters and he also had a couple of peavey 18 inch pro sound sub enclosures in there just for good measure for the low end. He ran all of it with QSC pro sound amplifiers with around 550 going to each 901 and around 1000 to each sub so spl was not an issue and the 901's did handle the extreme volumes he liked to run his party system at and I do believe these were the older versions as well. he used a small pro sound mixer for his preamp and ran the EQ's in the effects loops on the output channels going to the amps powering the 901's and I know my system kills it in sound quality but in shear loudness and for being a drinking pool playing system it was just what he wanted and he really did not have that much money in it for what he had. One thing I will say that QSC amps might not have the sound quality of a quality audiophile home amp but damn are they powerful and they can run all night long with out shutting down.

markw
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
He probably used the tape monitor loops which came out on a number of receivers in the past years and it is even in the Bose instructions when using receivers to run the eq through the tape monitor loops if there is not pre out main in jacks. In fact I believe that Bose recommends the tape monitor loops because there is not any variable voltage output in the tape monitor loop it is fixed so the eq does not see variable voltages so the equalizer will probably be a quieter component that way.Somehow, I didn't think his current receiver offered either options. "True" tape monitor loops are rare on more current AVR's and i doubt his current receiver offered preamp outs.

harley .guy07
01-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Somehow, I didn't think his current receiver offered either options. "True" tape monitor loops are rare on more current AVR's and i doubt his current receiver offered preamp outs.

You might be right. Thats just the way I have seen these speakers configured on receivers before but not sure about his setup.