Definitive Technology Mythos for home theater? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Technology Mythos for home theater?

tlax25
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
OK, I am finally getting around to replacing my old speakers with something a little more robust. I bought a new HDTV, receiver and finally joined the BR family late last year. Now for the speakers. I welcome any thoughts about using Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTowers (2), a Myhtos Nine On-Wall Speaker (1) and (2) Mythos Gem Satellite Speakers for surround.

I have listened to them and liked the sound. But are there better choices? I sometimes fall into paralysis by over-analysis with AV equipment, so any recommendations or negative comments are appreciated. Thanks.

blackraven
01-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Pesonally I would rather have a Monitor Audio system. Check out the sale on Monitor audio equipment at www.saturdayaudio.com Click on the Monitor audio speakers and it will take you to their speaker sale.

Pair or RS6 towers
RSLCR center
RSFX or RSCX rears for on the wall

The PSB Image speaker would also be good.

These would be excellent for 2ch audio and Home Theater.

Ajani
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree with Blackraven... I much prefer the sound of either the Monitor Audio or the PSB over the Def Techs... But all that is purely subjective... I'd suggest you also audition those speakers to see if you also prefer them...

There are a lot of great speakers available in that price range, that you can audition....

tlax25
01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks. I will defintiely check out your recommendations.

nightflier
01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
The top-of-the-line Mythos are actually very good for the money (especially if you can find them used). There aren't many speakers that slender and sleek that sound as good. If that's the look you need, then it's a great speaker to own. Don't know about the smaller ones, but I auditioned the largest Mythos a couple of years ago and really liked them - sounded way better than anything hanging on a wall, that's for sure.

devuonoste
01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
The Mythos towers are very highly regarded by many. Another option is to check out
AV123, as they have great HT setups and their customer service is second to none. They can steer you in the right direction. I have the Onix Rocket setup and am extremely happy. The sound for HT and music is spectacular and their construction quality and fit and finish is excellent. AV123 often has amazing sales on their speakers, but you may have to wait a bit, as a few sales have recently expired just after the holidays.

tlax25
01-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Since I live in Chicago I was able to test the Monitor Audio set at Saturday Audio last night (I live about 1/2 mile from there). Awesome sound. I am going back to ABT to test drive the DT Mythos setup again tomorrow. I think I like the sound of the Monitor system a little better, but the DT Mythos design/look is a nicer (in my opion). Thanks again. I plan on pulling the trigger this weekend.

blackraven
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Let us know what you decide.

tlax25
01-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, made the decision. I decided to go with the DT Mythos set up. Got a great deal at ABT. While to my ear the Mythos set sounds barely not as good as the Monitor set, based on price and how they fit into my home I decided on DT. Overall very happy with the decision and thanks again for the suggestions and help.

harley .guy07
01-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Sound quality is the ultimate decisive factor with speakers but there are occasions when the speakers just don't fit your room or your wife will kick you out of the house if you put them in there so I hope the sound quality difference is not big and hope you enjoy your purchase. I have Def Tech speakers I have liked and heard a few I didn't but the mythos have a following that seems to say they are good for the money.

ray6591
06-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Well, made the decision. I decided to go with the DT Mythos set up. Got a great deal at ABT. While to my ear the Mythos set sounds barely not as good as the Monitor set, based on price and how they fit into my home I decided on DT. Overall very happy with the decision and thanks again for the suggestions and help.

Do you mind telling me what you paid for the speakers at ABT as I am planning on adding one to my setup? Thanks Ray