Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver

gr8spinner
01-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Hey,

I've been given the choice between my Yamaha SR8002 Marantz SR8002. Someone Told me the power from the Marantz was superior to that the Yamaha. Would I her the difference between these recivers.

I'm running B&W 704 mains and a HTM7 center speaker.

thekid
01-05-2010, 02:55 AM
GR8

Welcome to AR!

You may hear a difference but I would not relate that difference strictly to power. I have a variety of speakers,recievers and amps and can tell you that even with amps or receivers with similar power the sound they produce with the same speakers can vary. Some speaker/receiver combo's just seem to sound better than others, the trick is to find the one that you like best. If you have a chance to try your B&W's on both then take the same source material (preferably some music you really like and are familiar with) and give them an audition.

manlystanley
01-05-2010, 05:29 AM
GR8
Some speaker/receiver combo's just seem to sound better than others, the trick is to find the one that you like best. If you have a chance to try your B&W's on both then take the same source material (preferably some music you really like and are familiar with) and give them an audition.

I so agree. Further, one combo will sound great on one room and no so good in another room. You really need to do a listen test.

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
If it's not possible to listen, my vote goes to the Marantz.

blackraven
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Ditto!

the hand of boredom
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Spinner,

My first receiver was a Yamaha rxv396, it served really well: easy to use, great processing of 5.1, any of the DSP fields sounded great but I stuck with flat 5.1. Eventually sold that one to a friend only because I wanted an outboard amp, and it didn't have pre-outs. I ended up with a Marantz 4203. It performed flawlessly in HT, and it easily bettered the Yamaha for 2 channel playback.

My speakers at the time were a full Paradigm Studio v2 rig (40s, CC, ADP). My dad is now using the receiver and 40s and he loves it, still sounds pretty good.

The same receiver is being used by another friend in his 5.1 setup with Monitor Audio Radius speakers and it sound decent. His father-in-law is running a 5.1 setup with MA Bronze series and a 4200, and they get driven with ease.

FWIW, I now own a rxv496 receiver, but it's strictly used for a small HT setup that won't get played very loud in my small apartment.

THOB

gr8spinner
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks everyone

I think what it boils down to for me is if my socks don't get blown off I'll wait till my Yamaha is truly outdated. If you guys are anything like me I'll probably justify a upgrade far before it actually requires it.. I don't mind spending money as long as there is great value when done so.

Thanks!

the hand of boredom
01-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Good thinking. If you're happy with what you have now, then you could spend the $300-400 on some room treatments (absorbers, bass traps) that would really take your system up a notch.

Many manufacturers to choose from: Real Traps, ATS Acoustics, GIK and more.

harley .guy07
01-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I agree with that I would spend my money on other forms of upgrades and room treatments and wait until the Yamaha is outdated or you decide you just really want to upgrade. i would also play around with different interconnect cables and speaker cables and see if you could get improvements changing things in those areas. Many people will change components when they are not satisfied only to find out later that a simple cable change or room treatment change made the difference needed to satisfy your system shortcoming. Just my opinion