TT setup lost its bass? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TT setup lost its bass?

nightflier
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I moved my TT to my HT room because we're painting, and after I set everything up, the TT sounded very tiny and it seems I've lost most of the bass. The HT system is a tad on the bright side, but the TT sounds much worse than the other sources, so I'm not convinced it's the HT setup. Before I go through the whole cartridge config routine, any suggestions on what I should check first?

JohnMichael
01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I moved my TT to my HT room because we're painting, and after I set everything up, the TT sounded very tiny and it seems I've lost most of the bass. The HT system is a tad on the bright side, but the TT sounds much worse than the other sources, so I'm not convinced it's the HT setup. Before I go through the whole cartridge config routine, any suggestions on what I should check first?

Sounds like you are lacking RIAA eq. Did you plug your ttable into a different preamp that might not have a phono board?

Jim Eck
01-05-2010, 05:18 AM
As suggested check that you are using a phono input not a line level input. Also check to see if there is a MM/MC switch or seperate input for each.

If that is correct check the VTA of the cartridge and arm. The VTA and SRA determine the information that the cartridge is able to retrieve. The azimuth determines right and left channels information if it is off.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/adjusting_vta.htm

Jim

nightflier
01-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm currently at work, so I can't check it directly, but I'm using a Phonomena preamp with the TT, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

Actually, come to think of it, it's plugged into the phono input of the McCormack preamp - I did that to match the display. But I was certain my preamp did not include a phono board so that should be a regular input. However, if it does have a built-in phono board could it be applying RIAA equalization twice? Would that be the the audible effect? ...and could I be causing damage that way?

02audionoob
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Seems like RIAA equalization twice would give you massively distorted sound. Also seems like if your MAP-1 had the optional phono board, you would know it...true?

What kind of cartridge do you have? And what are the gain and load settings on the phono preamp?

jrhymeammo
01-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Do you have the same recording in both CD and LP?
If they sound the same, then I would just say that's how your different room sounds.
I would just think you are experiencing different sound of different room/setup.

Are you using different speakers and amps in your HT room?
Best Wishes,

JRA

nightflier
01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, the room, amps, and just about everything is different in the HT room, but a CD played on either of my Oppo players sounds fine. The sound is not distorted, just thin and bass-shy, so then the McCormack does not have the phono board (I bought it second hand and never opened it, so I didn't know).

I'm using a Goldring Eroica cart, since my Clearaudio bit the dust. I don't know about the exact cart adjustments, but I'll check that this weekend. I think I'll have to do a full setup again (probably a good thing).

P.S. How good is the phono board available on the McCormacks? Would it be worth the investment to send it back to them for the upgrade?

02audionoob
01-06-2010, 11:59 AM
There is a high-output (H) version and a low-output (LX) version of the Eroica. If you have the LX, make sure your gain on the Phonomena is high enough. You'll need it on something like the 56dB setting. With the H, you could do with the 44 setting.

P.S. How good is the phono board available on the McCormacks? Would it be worth the investment to send it back to them for the upgrade?

Wow...that sounds expensive...

PS...Check the load settings on the Phonomena. If you have the LX, make sure your load settings are not on 50k.