Julie & Julia [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Julie & Julia

Hyfi
01-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Not really a chick flick at all. I was not too keen on seeing this one since I can't stand Meryl Streep. She actually does a remarkable job plainf Julia Child though.

I thought this was going to me of a bland documentary of Julia but it turns out to be an inter-tangled story from 2 books, one of Julia Child's time in France when she learned to cook, and one about Julie Powell's experience learning to cook by cooking every recipe in Julia Child's original book in 1 year (365 days) while blogging about the whole experience.

Forget about Meryl Streep, Amy Adams steels the show here. She has been in lots of movies and TV shows but I don't know if I saw any of them. Amy plays the part of Julie who works her way through the cookbook, work issues, marriage issues and life all while cooking some scrumptious dishes. This movie made me hungry. Not every dish worked out as a success for Julie and her character is very convincing and true to life. She is another cute, young, refreshing actress that still has a good career ahead of her.

All in all, not a bad movie and more enjoyable than I expected.

2 Snaps Up!

frahengeo
01-04-2010, 08:26 AM
My wife and I saw this last week and for me it was better than I had originally anticipated. Until the initial credits, I didn't know that it was a Nora Ephron flick. She has been involved with some decent movies for the past 20 years (Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, etc.).

Auricauricle
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
If you can snatch up Child's book: My Life in France, you'll have one on the shelf that will please you for a very long time I expect. JC was blessed with an enormous intellect that was well infused with boundless enthusiasm.The book was written with Alex Prud'homme, Paul Child's grandson, whose account reads as though Julia herself is before the reader, recounting her adventures in Le Havre, 1946; slogging through the kitchen while rejection and failure nipped at her heels; and her indomitable and formidable iron will that did not allow her to quit. It's a very good read, and a good buck-up for the spirits to boot.

Hyfi
01-05-2010, 11:13 AM
If you can snatch up Child's book: My Life in France, you'll have one on the shelf that will please you for a very long time I expect. JC was blessed with an enormous intellect that was well infused with boundless enthusiasm.The book was written with Alex Prud'homme, Paul Child's grandson, whose account reads as though Julia herself is before the reader, recounting her adventures in Le Havre, 1946; slogging through the kitchen while rejection and failure nipped at her heels; and her indomitable and formidable iron will that did not allow her to quit. It's a very good read, and a good buck-up for the spirits to boot.

There is also a book of love letter written back and forth between her and Paul as well as letters she wrote to her pen pal who eventually helped her publish the book. Hard to imagine after seeing her in later years but there was lots of romance and sex going on just off of the kitchen. Paul got to stuff the turkey!

Did you see the movie yet? Its probably one you would like having the book and loving it.

nightflier
01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Long before Rachael Ray, Gordon Ramsay, and Emeril Lagasse, Julia made cooking entertaining. I always enjoyed watching her shows more for the humor than anything else.

...then came the Iron Chef, lol.

Hyfi
01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Long before Rachael Ray, Gordon Ramsay, and Emeril Lagasse, Julia made cooking entertaining. I always enjoyed watching her shows more for the humor than anything else.

...then came the Iron Chef, lol.

Remember the Galloping Gourmet? Graham Kerr

A little wine in the pot, more in the glass. He was usually sloshed by the end of each show.

Auricauricle
01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Gotta find more on this guy, Hy....good call!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V94H7K_nu5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V94H7K_nu5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hyfi
01-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Gotta find more on this guy, Hy....good call!

Great laugh! good find