klipsch speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : klipsch speakers

ryanianmckinnon
01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
i am looking into buying new speakers, at the moment i have acoustic research ar 226 ps, they are reviewed very well, 4.88 out of 5. I am looking to sell them for $500, it may not be a fair price, or it may be to little, let me know ? ive been looking around for new floor standing speakers, im looking at energy c500's because there is my price range. i dont want to spend a crazy amount on a speaker when i can get something cheaper that sounds just as good, i was looking through the local usedvictoria.com website and i found these klipsch 4.2 speakers, and the guy wants $400 but i cant find a review for them, and im not going to even bother if there not reviewed as good or better than the bookshelf speakers i have now, cause if not theres no point in selling them. So im looking for advice on if im selling my ar's for a good price or to cheap. and if the klipschs are good
thanx

heres some pictures

Mr Peabody
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
How much did you pay for the AR226 new? I saw a pair on Seattle Craigslist for like $80.00 but I didn't look at the ad to see what shape they were in or anything. Personally, I doubt that the Klipsch would be any improvement over the AR's. Pursue the Energy or some other quality brand. Have you heard Paradigm? What is it you'd like to improve on over the AR's?

ryanianmckinnon
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
i paid $150 and they came with stands, but there is amazing shape, there is a little nick in one of the corners but thats it. yeah im just kinda looking for floor standing speaker, i like energy cause they make good products that are affordable, but at times i think the AR's lack in the highs, like voices they have great bass, but they could have a little bit more, and sometimes the mids are a little mudded but maybe thats because it has two woofers, one is a bass and the other is a bass/midrange. I mostly listen to older rock and stuff like def leppard, led zeppelin, scorpions, black sabbath, and skid row. so maybe its just the size of the room that im in that has something to do with it its 9x12 i think so its not huge or anything but idk i just want to see if floor standing speakers would sound any better

bfalls
01-04-2010, 07:37 AM
I've not listened to the Klipsch 4.2s, but have owned the Kg4s for over 20 yrs. The Kg4s are one of my favorite speakers. The two differ substantially. The KG4 has two front-mounted active 8" mid/woofers with a rear passive radiator. The 4.2s drivers are both front-mounted active mid/woofer (1), passive radiator (1). I still see the Kg4s on ebay going for between $200-$350.

Because of the rear passive, the Kg4s may be a little placement sensitive, but I've never noticed any issues during normal use. Although the tweeter is horn-loaded, they image very well. My HT room has two full HT systems set up. I've often played the system in Direct two channel mode and asked visitors to guess which center speaker is being used, only to see their surprise when it's revealed only the Kg4s were playing alone.

I can't recommend the 4.2s since I haven't heard them, but if you can find the Kg4's a full recommendation.

ryanianmckinnon
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
ok is ebay a good site to buy from ive never boughten anything from there

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
ok is ebay a good site to buy from ive never boughten anything from there

I get a lot of stuff from Ebay. Just check the sellers scores to make sure they have not done a lot of bad transactions or have alot of complaints against them. I look for sellers that carry a 97-100 rating to buy from.

ryanianmckinnon
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
sounds good ill check it out the one thing im only a little bit concerned about is that when i buy new speakers off ebay and get them and i listen to them and i dont like them i cant send them back which kinda sucks, but i guess thats why i should do my research first and make sure there the speakers i want before buying them and do u have to have a credit card to buy stuff off there and how old do u have to be ?

Mr Peabody
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Ryan, Ebay is an auction and sales site. You buy from the individual not Ebay. Ebay is there for people to post what they have for sale and for others to buy from them. You have to pay via the means specified by the seller. The ad should say what the seller accepts (ie. money order, cashier's check, Paypal). some will accept credit cards. Paypal is a credit card type service yu have to set up an account with.

I'd really recommend forgetting Ebay and buying from a company who will allow you to return the speakers if not happy. Most online dealers allow 30 days to try. It may be worth forgoing the savings for the assurance you will be happy with your purchase. In addition, you know you are getting a new product.

Keep in mind also your speakers will only reproduce what they are sent. So if you are using a cheap CD player or playing mp3 files you can't expect the speakers to do miracles. They will not play anything that isn't in the signal already. So if the detail is lost at the source it will remain lost. No midrange detail from the source, nothing you do down stream from there will allow you to hear that midrange detail, it's just lost.

ryanianmckinnon
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
ok that is true u cant return them, what is a good online site to look at speakers and possibly order, what would u recommend, and dont forget they have to be able to ship to cananda :)

Mr Peabody
01-04-2010, 09:24 PM
One of the lines I like in your range is Paradigm. I haven't heard Energy but the talk about them is good, so don't discard that idea. Are there any audio stores in your area? If so, what do they offer?

As a side note, from what I understand if you order from outside Canada it's cheaper to have your stuff shipped via USPS, Priority Mail.

I'm not sure where to send you online for speakers. I've bought from www.spearitsound.com before. Click "used, demos & close outs" for specials. Also see what these have:

www.amusicdirect.com
www.audioadvisor.com
www.acousticsounds.com

Emotiva also sells speakers and there are other online direct dealers like AV123 or Aperion. Unfortunately, I have no experience with these. I have heard several Paradigm set ups though.

ryanianmckinnon
01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I like paradigm, but i dont think there is any local dealers where i live, i would probally have to order them from online if i decided to go that way, but i like energy because they have good sound and are fairly cheap. I like the Emotiva ERT-8.3 Tower but there a little bit out of my price range sadly. But i will check those sites out, and the only real audio stores i have around are best buy and future shop, which arent the greatest but if i go energy at least i can actually go in and listen to them, but there is a few other's but i have only been to sound hounds which only really carry B&W speakers

Mr Peabody
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
If you like the sound of Energy give them a shot. What did you think of B&W? They have some entry level speakers that should be in your range.

ryanianmckinnon
01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
yeah i heard energy once and i really liked there sound but i didnt listen to them for long, so it might sound different when i go in. I really like B&W, i like there designs, and the materials for there speakers. Like using woven Kevlar mid ranges that maintain a more constant dispersion pattern at all frequencies, making it sound better to the listener and make a cleaner and easier sound to listen to for a wider group of listeners. I like the 685 bookshelf speaker which is about $600 at sound hounds but i also like the 684 floor standing speaker but im not exactly sure how much it costs but its probably out of my price range